1191 users online (222 members and 969 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

IL - Marquail Johnson, 8, Peoria, 14 Aug 2013

MARQUELL JOHNSON, Age Now: 8, Missing: 08/14/2013. Missing From PEORIA, IL. ANYONE HAVING INFORMATION SHOULD CONTACT: Peoria Police Department (Illinois) 1-309-673-4521.

More...

Peoria Police Investigating Suspicious Death of 8-Year-Old Boy

Peoria Police are investigating what they call a suspicious death of an eight-year-old boy. Police recovered the body of Marquail Johnson around 8:00 AM, after the boy was reported missing on Wednesday night.

[snip]

His family said he had dinner then went outside to play. Police issued a limited Amber Alert and a Code Red Alert. They had high hopes of finding the boy alive and well. Chief Settingsgaard said, “I saw the officer's face who found him in the refrigerator and you could tell he's not going to sleep well tonight you just, you see the pain."

After searching through the night, police discovered Marquail’s body in the refrigerator in the backyard of a home at 740 Western Avenue.

Settingsgaard said, “It's an old style refrigerator that it appears from the outside to have the type of locking handle that doesn't release from the inside.”

Green said she’s shocked. “His cousin stays in that house. They were out looking too.”

More: http://www.centralillinoisproud.com/...FkK8Gy4sg_k5iA

Police Rule Out Possibilities in Johnson Death

An investigation continues in the death of an eight-year-old Peoria boy, but new information may shed light on what could have happened.

[snip]

"No signs of trauma, no signs of a struggle, no sign of strangulation,” Eddlemon said. “So we're able to remove all of that, which is good to this point."

Autopsy reports revealed Johnson died of suffocation, but why he was in the refrigerator is unclear. A six-year-old cousin says he last saw Johnson with an older white male, hours before he was reported missing Wednesday night.

"We're not ready to completely discount that yet. But what presents itself right with the investigation is there is no sign of struggle. No sign of strangulation. The placement of the refrigerator being the back of a relative’s house, literally the back door,” Eddlemon said.

http://www.centralillinoisproud.com/...DEGyn1o4fkV_4w

Oh my. How devastatingly sad. Does sound like it could be a legitimate accident though.
    I brought a child into this dark world because it needed the light that only a child can bring.

I THOUGHT we had eliminated this type of hazard years ago after a rash of child deaths. Apparently not........ tragic.
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    The Coroner's Jury has just ruled Marquell's death a homicide and the case has been forwarded to the State's Attorney.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Quote Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
    The Coroner's Jury has just ruled Marquell's death a homicide and the case has been forwarded to the State's Attorney.
    Here's a link:

Death of 8-year-old Peoria Boy Ruled Homicide

http://www.centralillinoisproud.com/...S0efVG13PzvQGA

hth
    No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

We are all one poor choice from being a subject on this forum. Think twice.

Quote Originally Posted by meanmaryjean View Post
    I THOUGHT we had eliminated this type of hazard years ago after a rash of child deaths. Apparently not........ tragic.
    The Refrigerator Safety Act was passed in 1956 and effected in 1958 but I'm not sure the same law applied to freezers. At any rate, I don't know exactly what this device was but there are probably still a number of units out there that were made before 1958, especially disused ones. The doors are supposed to be removed from these derelict latching models but unfortunately some people either ignore that law or are ignorant of it.

Stan Reid

Quote Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
    The Refrigerator Safety Act was passed in 1956 and effected in 1958 but I'm not sure the same law applied to freezers. At any rate, I don't know exactly what this device was but there are probably still a number of units out there that were made before 1958, especially disused ones. The doors are supposed to be removed from these derelict latching models but unfortunately some people either ignore that law or are ignorant of it.
    The law may also require that doors be removed from non latching models, I don't know.

My parents recently traded in a refrigerator that they bought around 1962 and it was still working so it's not too far out to think that even a few working pre-59 models might still be out there.

Stan Reid

So somebody killed him by putting him in there alive, and not going back? No sign of trauma or strangulation. Ohhhh!

I am very sad that I am just now noticing this case. This case is somewhat local to me and I heard nothing about it at the time.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Crap!! This doesn't sound good.

Poor Marquail was found naked in the fridge, although his clothes were in there too. LE must have something that leads them to believe that it was a homicide. The following article provides one possible reason.

http://www.pjstar.com/article/20131114/NEWS/131119525

Through interviews, investigators determined that kids in the neighborhood did not play in that house's backyard, which was surrounded by a chain-link fence and could only be accessed by the back door of the home.
    and what's up with the mom? She said she was at work at the time Marquail went missing, but it was determined that she actually didn't go to work?

Though Marquail's mother, Shinta Johnson, told police Marquail was autistic, investigators could not confirm that diagnosis nor find any prescriptions for autism medication, according to testimony from Chalus.

Also, Shinta Johnson had told police she was working during the day before coming home at 3 p.m. Aug. 14, but investigators found she had not worked that day after contacting her place of employment, said Chalus.
    This doesn't sound like a "simple" kid-accidentally-hiding-in-a-fridge scenario to me.

I'm so sorry you had to die this way Marquail.
    Any man's death diminishes me,
    Because I am involved in mankind,
    Therefore, send not to know, for whom the bell tolls;
    It tolls for thee.
    ~John Dunne

#TeamCivilization

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopster View Post

Poor Marquail was found naked in the fridge, although his clothes were in there too. LE must have something that leads them to believe that it was a homicide. The following article provides one possible reason.

and what's up with the mom? She said she was at work at the time Marquail went missing, but it was determined that she actually didn't go to work?

This doesn't sound like a "simple" kid-accidentally-hiding-in-a-fridge scenario to me.

Why would his mother lie about going to work that day? Why didn't she go to work that day if she was scheduled?

I hope LE has collected some DNA that leads to an arrest for Marquail's murder. I don't see anything in the news telling whether the man last seen with Marquail has been identified.

I wonder if anyone lived (as a squatter) in the abandoned house between the house where Marquail lived and the house where he was found.
    "Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Oh my...

I just read this thread...

The "accidental" theory was tragic enough...

But... Now that it has been claimed a homicide... It just breaks my heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopster View Post

From the article linked above...

the homeowner found the boy in the freezer (in his own house/property) while LE was searching the house...

that has me puzzled...

JMO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast