Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
17-year-old Alexis Murphy was last seen at approximately 7:15 pm on Saturday, August 3. Her car was found abandoned a few days later. Alexis is still missing.

alexis-murphy-2.jpg
alexissurv1_296.jpg
alexsurv2_296.png

Randy Allen Taylor has been arrested and charged with the abduction of Alexis. If you've seen him or his truck in the last week, please call the tip line.

BReUHAOCUAAsG1P.jpg:large
23111299_BG3.jpg

Anyone with any information on Alexis Murphy or Randy Taylor is asked to call the the Nelson County Sheriff's Office tip line at 434-263-7050.

Case Map - http://goo.gl/maps/zJRgO

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4

Please continue here and remember the rules. You can find them right here:

The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

AND don't overlook these!!!!

Victim Friendly

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way and ONLY IF IT IS RELEVANT TO THE CASE. Additionally, sleuthing family members that are not suspect is not allowed. Don't make random accusations or post personal information (even if it is public) like parking tickets, address, or first and last names of all their relatives and their neighbors. Also, never "bash" or attack them, or accuse them of involvement. However that does not mean that family members cannot come into discussion as the facts and issues of the case are discussed.

Social Networks

Regarding Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and other social networking or blog websites: Links may be used to direct posters to view something on a social networking page. But postings on social networking sites are not considered fact; they are rumor. Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed. Paraphrasing is okay. (Exception: If the Twitter or Facebook post belongs to a verified news station, it may be copied. But a link should still be provided.)

Also, social networking pages may only be linked if they are directly related to a case, i.e. the victim or suspect. We don't want to post to someone's mother, brother, employer, milkman, or postal carrier just because they know the main player. We also NEVER link to minor's pages (unless they are the victim). And be sure that the page actually belongs to the person being discussed. Do not link to someone if you are not 100% sure it is the correct person. And if a social networking is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

MINORS: Websleuths.com™ does not allow the naming of, or photographs of, minors (children under the age of 18) on the Site unless the child is a missing or deceased person or where law enforcement has identified the minor as a perpetrator of a crime and the minor will be tried as an adult. If a missing child is found and it is learned that such minor was the victim of child exploitation, references to the child’s name and likeness will be removed, and further posting of such information will not be allowed. Unless the minors are the victims, please do not post their name, only their initials.

Thanks.

Please continue here and I moved some posts over.

IMO, she is no longer alive but I don't think anyone should ever give up hope and quit looking until they have a body. I don't think LE would state that they think she is no longer alive this early in the investigation either without a body.

I pay more attention to their actions than their words in cases like this.

I think Hallahan said not til spring but with a bond hearing some will come out then. Essentially they get a free pass for 5 months.

Just clarifying...

Not arguing..

spring has passed... And next spring is AFTER the Jan. court date...

What did the lawyer mean... "Next spring"...

:waitasec:

Interesting... defense attorney says in this article http://www.roanoke.com/news/2150555-12/defense-missing-teen-alexis-murphy-was-in-camper.html

“Finding a hair in the residence doesn’t mean he abducted her,” Hallahan said. “He told law enforcement that on Aug. 3, [Murphy] was in his residence, with a male associate.
“They’ve made no public efforts to try to locate this male,” Hallahan said.

However, in this article http://www.roanoke.com/news/2143806-12/arrest-made-in-case-of-missing-nelson-county.html, we have this:

"

Two days later, the FBI confirmed it was showing pictures of people last seen with Murphy to business owners in the area. NBC 29 reported Saturday that agents had paid visits to Ultimate Bliss, an adult shop, and the Quick Pik convenience store, both of which are on Angus Road in Charlottesville.
FBI spokeswoman Dennette Rybiski said Sunday that the people in the photos are not suspects, but agents are trying to identify and locate them.
"These are stills ... from the videos that we have been collecting all week - people that apparently were in proximity to Alexis at some point - and they want to talk to them in the hopes of generating more information," Rybiski said.

So, they HAVE been looking at other people caught on video at various places. Defense attorney's assumption that they have not been is apparently wrong.

For those that were speculating LE might had tons of evidence on RAT prior to searching his trailer, from other cases I think the prior history, surveillance tape of the gas station placing him near her and, most importantly, her cell phone last pinging at/near his home would be enough probable cause. So I wouldn't really expect there to be much more on the warrants than we already know.

Interesting... defense attorney says in this article http://www.roanoke.com/news/2150555-12/defense-missing-teen-alexis-murphy-was-in-camper.html

“Finding a hair in the residence doesn’t mean he abducted her,” Hallahan said. “He told law enforcement that on Aug. 3, [Murphy] was in his residence, with a male associate.

However, in this article http://www.roanoke.com/news/2143806-12/arrest-made-in-case-of-missing-nelson-county.html, we have this:

"

Two days later, the FBI confirmed it was showing pictures of people last seen with Murphy to business owners in the area. NBC 29 reported Saturday that agents had paid visits to Ultimate Bliss, an adult shop, and the Quick Pik convenience store, both of which are on Angus Road in Charlottesville.
FBI spokeswoman Dennette Rybiski said Sunday that the people in the photos are not suspects, but agents are trying to identify and locate them.
"These are stills ... from the videos that we have been collecting all week - people that apparently were in proximity to Alexis at some point - and they want to talk to them in the hopes of generating more information," Rybiski said.

So, they HAVE been looking at other people caught on video at various places. Defense attorney's assumption that they have not been is apparently wrong.

This sounds to me like they are hoping the people in the videos noticed something, as witnesses. Noticed RAT or anyone else approaching Alexis, talking with Alexis, anything RAT was observed doing, Alexis doing, etc... Could bring more leads if there is another person involved, could help with what RAT was really doing, not what RAT says he was doing.

Parker Slaybaugh ‏@ParkerABC13 8m
Today and tomorrow are my days off. I will still be checking in with my sources inside of law enforcement and... http://fb.me/1V0Qtb6CA

A lot of mention has been made about RAT parking at the pumps to buy cigarettes and not pump gas. I drive a Suburban and at times I do park at the pumps (when it is not busy) if I need to run inside quickly. It is hard to see backing out and I always am nervous about running someone over because people just not pay attention as much as they should walking through parking lots. I don't do it often, but just putting it out there that it is not unheard of to do.

For those that were speculating LE might had tons of evidence on RAT prior to searching his trailer, from other cases I think the prior history, surveillance tape of the gas station placing him near her and, most importantly, her cell phone last pinging at/near his home would be enough probable cause. So I wouldn't really expect there to be much more on the warrants than we already know.

When a SW is issued a receipt is returned and attached to the warrant that shows everything that was found. jmo

"

Yes, they said there was originally 8-10 people on their suspect list iirc.

Someone asked why no Discovery until next Spring.

Prelim is set for January 9. The only thing that happens then is the prosecution gives a brief outline of the charges and the defendant (RAT) states how he will intend to plead, guilty or not guilty. Also will be decided if this case goes to a Grand Jury or not. Then it depends on what is decided, and another Court date is set for other things, but not trial if going to Grand Jury.

After that, defense attorney can file for Discovery and be able to view tapes, evidence, statements made, and paperwork from forensics. However, that all has time frames.

If this attorney feels that prosecution will wait until the last minute, then they very well may. If this defense attorney feels all forensics will not be back until spring, then they may not.

Right now all of that is hard to call, as we only know of 2 video tapes of places seen, a hair in a camper. There must be more, so we can't make bets on anything further at this time.

This sounds to me like they are hoping the people in the videos noticed something, as witnesses. Noticed RAT or anyone else approaching Alexis, talking with Alexis, anything RAT was observed doing, Alexis doing, etc... Could bring more leads if there is another person involved, could help with what RAT was really doing, not what RAT says he was doing.

True. I do believe they are a step ahead, though, in terms of who else may or may not be involved and what they know about his activities. I guess we will know in time.

IMO, she is no longer alive but I don't think anyone should ever give up hope and quit looking until they have a body. I don't think LE would state that they think she is no longer alive this early in the investigation either without a body.

I pay more attention to their actions than their words in cases like this.

I do tend to agree that the likelihood of her being alive is very slim. I just want to hope she is as all of us do. Like I said before, I think the greatest likelihood of her still being alive would rest on a second person having her held somewhere. Not sure I quite buy that scenario. Unfortunately. Just throwing possibilities out there though...just for thought.

When a SW is issued a receipt is returned and attached to the warrant that shows everything that was found. jmo

I've spent all morning reading and catching up... and had a bunch of stuff multi-qouted, but lost it of course when I switched over to new thread... I really got remember about that! smh I'll see what I can remember... okay... there was a comment about car washes in lovingston... Northside or Chicken Coop would be my bets... but someone else local is gonna have to help with more updated names because I only know them by those names..

As to the hair found... okay, my thoughts are they were throwing a dog a bone to see how much he bit off... who knows where the hair was found, could have been in the trailer, or the truck... but they wanted to see what he would say when they said they found one, during interrogation... but iirc, they had sealed sw issued last week sometime for a place in nelson, long before his arrest... like, shortly after she went missing... so, I would suspect they found the hair, wherever they found it, then... so if that is the case, that would have also been, imo, one of the first times they questioned him too since they already had ccvid of him at liberty too... and since he said hes been giving them this story of his all along... then they would have already been aware of the corn row dude all along as well, which means they have already probably talked with him... since that car would be known around here, especially to local LE.. so, that in turn leads me to believe/assume that attorney is reaching based off RATs info only and probably really getting his client in a deep hole.. IIRC, attorney used to be Greene county cop, so he may be familiar with previous case to some degree... but maybe not.. depends on when he was... which leads me to my next thing I had wanted to mention..... as to this being a witch hunt by disgruntled LE who are pissed because they couldn't prove anything last time... first, its an entirely different LE, second, I don't think FBI was involved last time, and I think that they are this time, and so quickly is very telling... I think that may be part of the reason, to make sure there is no mistakes... and the other part, because RAT is suspected in multiple cases... all just :moo:

I think it's important to find the body, very important so that the family can mourn her properly and have closure. It sounds like Samantha Clark's mother may have moved on, she had a new baby and I thought it was touching that she said she believes Samantha sent him/her (don't remember the gender) to her. But, there really is no precedent of people who view other people, young women, as prey leaving them alive. I hate to make this comparison, but it's no different than expecting to find a gazelle alive in a lions den.

NBC29 ‏@NBC29 6m
Investigators say they're working out of FBI regional headquarters in Charlottesville until #AlexisMurphy case solved.

NBC29 ‏@NBC29 1m
After speaking with @NBC29 last night, family of #AlexisMurphy says Randy Taylor's story has "too many holes." @EdSykes29 has more at 5 & 6

Nadine Maeser ‏@nadine_maeser 1h
FBI will not brief the media, public on #alexismurphy case until further notice, according to spokeswoman. #wdbj7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni