1314 users online (294 members and 1020 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

OK - Stacey Beesley, 25, pregnant, murdered, Midwest City, 21 Dec 2009 *Insanity*

Defendant in Midwest City OK slaying ruled insane.
    Standing just a few feet from her pregnant daughter's killer, Rose Ashley tearfully spoke of her agony in dealing with the deaths that occurred nearly four years ago.

“I have a hole in my heart,” Ashley said Wednesday. “He killed my daughter. He beat her to death. She was five months pregnant.”

Oklahoma County District Judge Cindy Truong [...] ruled that Eric Ray Knox was not guilty of two first-degree murder counts by reason of insanity.
    ---
    He was charged with the Dec. 21, 2009, slayings of his 25-year-old girlfriend of two years, Stacey Beesley, and their unborn daughter, Zoe.

“What he did to my baby will haunt me forever,” Ashley said.
    ---
    “This is not justice for my daughter, Stacey, or my granddaughter, Zoe,” Ashley said.

Looking at Knox, she said: “I do not believe you are insane. I believe you got mad or something.”
    ---
    much more at Daily Oklahoman link above

The story did not include a photo of the killer.

I see he's being incarcerated 20 miles from my house. "Oh joy."

How sad for that family.

Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater said he couldn't pursue a trial against Knox after the prosecution's own psychiatrist determined Knox was insane at the time of the slayings.

“We knew that if we went forward with any kind of a trial, we would even have our own expert testify that he was insane,” Prater said. “We had an ethical duty at that point to not in any way attempt to defend our position and ended up agreeing that he was in fact insane.”

It would be rare if Knox is ever released from the Vinita center, Prater said.

“He will be in a secure psychiatric facility that will periodically review his status,” Prater said. “It is very, very rare in this state where you have someone who has committed a murder — and especially as in this case a very violent, heinous murder — where they are actually ever released.”