7 People Mauled by Bears in Recent Days

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
7 people mauled by bears in recent days

Attacks reported in 5 states since Thursday

Author: By Holly Yan. Josh Levs and Dave Alsup CNN

Published On: Aug 19 2013 02:10:07 AM EDT Updated On: Aug 19 2013 01:23:41 PM EDT

(CNN) -
Bears rarely attack humans unless they feel threatened or territorial. But a 12-year-old girl jogging in Michigan is among the latest victims in a spate of bear attacks that have left seven people mauled in five states since Thursday.

Wildlife officials are running tests on a bear they killed to see if it's the same one that mauled Abby Wetherell on Thursday evening. The girl from Cadillac, Mich., was out on her nightly jog when she was ambushed by a black bear.

"I was thinking, 'This is it, I am a goner,'" Abby told ABC News.

She tried running from the bear but it caught her, dropped her to the ground, and scraped and clawed at her, she said. So she tried petting it, but "that did not work, so then it just got me again."

Then she played dead -- and the bear walked away...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...days/-/1719418/21520626/-/s49gdl/-/index.html

Published On: Aug 19 2013 02:10:07 AM EDT Updated On: Aug 19 2013 01:23:41 PM EDT

(CNN) -
Bears rarely attack humans unless they feel threatened or territorial. But a 12-year-old girl jogging in Michigan is among the latest victims in a spate of bear attacks that have left seven people mauled in five states since Thursday.

Wildlife officials are running tests on a bear they killed to see if it's the same one that mauled Abby Wetherell on Thursday evening. The girl from Cadillac, Mich., was out on her nightly jog when she was ambushed by a black bear.

She tried running from the bear but it caught her, dropped her to the ground, and scraped and clawed at her, she said. So she tried petting it, but "that did not work, so then it just got me again."

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...days/-/1719418/21520626/-/s49gdl/-/index.html

So, I googled for more info after seeing this post, since I'm in Colorado and wanted to see exactly where the attack(s) occurred...and this is what I found! Check this out! I think its hilarious!

Bear Steals Dumpster From Colorado Springs Restaurant / Aug 3 :)

[video=youtube;frxFH6A4LxQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frxFH6A4LxQ[/video]

Can you imagine? The restaurant employees probably noticed their dumpster missing and pulled the surveillance cctv only to see a bear taking off with it!

:floorlaugh:

Beary Suspicious!

:lol: OMG! That is freaking funny! I love how the bear seems to be looking around to make sure that no one is watching before his hauls the dumpster away. :floorlaugh:

(CNN) -

I live in rural Manitoba, Canada, just outside the Whiteshell Provincial Park. Wildlife out here includes foxes, wolves, coyotes, lynx, cougars and black bears. Over the years we have had a few bear maulings, but people who live out here are pretty savvy when it comes to co-existence with bears and other creatures of the Boreal forest.

I own three Karelian Bear Dogs, a breed used in the U.S. for bear protection and to train bears to stay out of areas inhabited by humans. When out on walks on the trails around my house, I know that my dogs will protect me from any bears roaming around -- and it is bear season. However, if I know a bear is in a particular area, I take the dogs somewhere else for their walk to avoid a confrontation. (There has been a recent siting of a large mother bear with two cubs in the 200 acre bush land behind my property. On a walk last week, one of my dogs -- on a lead- actually treed the two cubs and I got him and myself away from the area before the mother arrived.)

While I feel terrible for the 12-year-old jogger in Michigan and am glad she survived such a bear mauling, I wonder why she was out jogging in the bush in the evening, alone without a dog or fellow jogger with her? Even I, walking with two Karelian Bear Dogs, would avoid walking/running down a rural road or trail in the evening in bear season because that is when you are most likely to encounter a bear.

People living in areas near a population of bears need to be educated as to how to co-exist with them to protect both the humans and the bears from tragedy. This includes carrying bear protection spray, "bear bangers" that can be shot off to scare the bear away, or just plain having the common sense to know when the animals are most likely to be active. In Manitoba, the Parks people have a "Be Bear Safe" program that goes into the parks and schools to educate people young and old.

And so it begins.

(Sorry, just had to write that, my bad. There's a thread on the Dumpster Stealing Bears of Colorado Springs somewhere on WS.)

I hate when stuff like this happens. Or a bear has to be put down because of something humans have 9 times out of ten caused in the first place. Thier getting readdy to hibernate they need to bulk up for the long winter months ..

I live in rural Manitoba, Canada, just outside the Whiteshell Provincial Park. Wildlife out here includes foxes, wolves, coyotes, lynx, cougars and black bears. Over the years we have had a few bear maulings, but people who live out here are pretty savvy when it comes to co-existence with bears and other creatures of the Boreal forest.

I own three Karelian Bear Dogs, a breed used in the U.S. for bear protection and to train bears to stay out of areas inhabited by humans. When out on walks on the trails around my house, I know that my dogs will protect me from any bears roaming around -- and it is bear season. However, if I know a bear is in a particular area, I take the dogs somewhere else for their walk to avoid a confrontation. (There has been a recent siting of a large mother bear with two cubs in the 200 acre bush land behind my property. On a walk last week, one of my dogs -- on a lead- actually treed the two cubs and I got him and myself away from the area before the mother arrived.)

While I feel terrible for the 12-year-old jogger in Michigan and am glad she survived such a bear mauling, I wonder why she was out jogging in the bush in the evening, alone without a dog or fellow jogger with her? Even I, walking with two Karelian Bear Dogs, would avoid walking/running down a rural road or trail in the evening in bear season because that is when you are most likely to encounter a bear.

People living in areas near a population of bears need to be educated as to how to co-exist with them to protect both the humans and the bears from tragedy. This includes carrying bear protection spray, "bear bangers" that can be shot off to scare the bear away, or just plain having the common sense to know when the animals are most likely to be active. In Manitoba, the Parks people have a "Be Bear Safe" program that goes into the parks and schools to educate people young and old.

They raid my dumpster all the time. I live in Kentucky, and my 2 German Shepherds and I, NEVER go out after dark without being armed.

They raid my dumpster all the time. I live in Kentucky, and my 2 German Shepherds and I, NEVER go out after dark without being armed.

I agree, Tulessa. I don't own a gun, but I don't go out walking the bush trails at night with my Karelians-- I know that's just asking for big trouble. When I moved from a farm to the property I have now, I used to have to worry about parking my car in the driveway (no garage) and getting into the house without encountering a bear eating the acorns that have fallen from an oak tree all over my lawn. I built a garage, fenced in the area between the house and garage and all around the backyard and moved my dogs in. Now, I drive in to the garage and walk though a fenced, dog protected yard. Problem solved.

As human development continues to encroach on wildlife habitats, human beings need to learn again how to live with and in nature. When I moved up to Manitoba it took just one minus 40 F, blizzardy winter to understand that you avoid travelling during major snowfalls, you stay on major roads and don't take unfamiliar shortcuts or little-used rural roads, and you carry warm clothing, matches, candles, water and some kind of food at all times, just in case. Cell phones don't work everywhere so you can't always call for help.

Enough said. Use common sense!

I was surprised to hear that a bear attacked a girl in Cadillac, Michigan. That's one of our favorite vacation spots and we go there at least once a year or more often. I have never seen a bear anywhere near there. The town has grown up a lot and there is no wildlife in the town except things like squirrels, maybe a raccoon or possum. In the
area outside of town you can see wild turkeys and sometimes deer but I have never seen a bear. There are the two lakes, campgrounds, state park, another park, the city park by the railroad station, but other than that, its mostly either city, or fields or woods outside the city. Even the outskirts of town have things like the mall and restaurants. Possibly the campground or restaurant dumpsters would attract bears but unless someone has been feeding them, I don't think they would hang around town. I doubt if the girl would be jogging near the woods.

I lived on Vancouver Island, BC and we had bears forever in our yard. They were always more afraid of us than we were of them, although every couple of years you would see a mangy looking bear that wouldn't back down when you yelled at them they would head towards you. I was always aware that cougars bears and everything else that live out there that they were around. I am so glad this girl knew of the play dead thingy. I'm curious though my garbage can always played the dead thingy but constantly got attacked LOL

I was surprised to hear that a bear attacked a girl in Cadillac, Michigan. That's one of our favorite vacation spots and we go there at least once a year or more often. I have never seen a bear anywhere near there. The town has grown up a lot and there is no wildlife in the town except things like squirrels, maybe a raccoon or possum. In the
area outside of town you can see wild turkeys and sometimes deer but I have never seen a bear. There are the two lakes, campgrounds, state park, another park, the city park by the railroad station, but other than that, its mostly either city, or fields or woods outside the city. Even the outskirts of town have things like the mall and restaurants. Possibly the campground or restaurant dumpsters would attract bears but unless someone has been feeding them, I don't think they would hang around town. I doubt if the girl would be jogging near the woods.

"Abby Wetherell, 12, headed toward home from an evening jog on her grandfather's woodsy property in northern Michigan last week when a terrifying sight caught her eye: a black bear was chasing her."

"The bear knocked the girl down twice and lashed one of her thighs with its powerful paws as she screamed for help, then coolly played dead. Her father and a neighbor scared the animal away, and Abby was flown to a hospital, where she was doing well after surgery."

"The Michigan Department of Natural Resources set traps in the area of the Thursday night attack in Wexford County's Haring Township, just north of Cadillac, and asked the public to be on the lookout. The county has a well-established bear population, but the animals generally avoid humans, DNR wildlife biologist Adam Bump said."

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/19/bear-thought-to-have-mauled-michigan-girl-shot-and-killed-though-family/

I remember summer 2001 had string of shark attacks and they were big news.

I am no expert on bears but I know in some species the adult males will drive the adolescent males out of their territories (they let the young females stay for obvious reasons).

When this happens the young males have to flee for their lives and that often puts them in on the outskirts of the heavily wooded areas and in contact with humans. They end up in people's backyards, or treed somewhere because they had no choice but go there to survive.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas
Back