GUILTY NM - Gary & Linda Haas, both 61, killed by escapee, Quay County, 2 Aug 2010

KaylynnCouture

Reaction score
Authorities continued a manhunt Saturday for three convicted murderers who escaped a day earlier from a medium- security prison in northwestern Arizona.

The three men, who officials believe had help, were last seen headed east on Interstate 40 about 5 a.m. Saturday, authorities said.

The men escaped Friday night using pliers to cut a hole through a fence of the privately run Arizona State Prison-Kingman, said Deputy Director Charles Flanagan of the Arizona Department of Corrections.

Authorities say the men - along with a suspected accomplice, Casslyn Welch, age 44 - kidnapped two truck drivers from a Kingman truck stop and used the big rig to drive to Flagstaff.

Flagstaff police responded about 5 a.m. Saturday to the Little America Travel Center off I-40 after a call from two truck drivers who said they'd been abducted at gunpoint. The drivers were unharmed.

Authorities have been using helicopters and dogs to search for the convicts.

Records show Tracy Province, 42, has been in the Arizona Department of Corrections since January 1993 and is serving a life sentence for one count of murder and one count of robbery.

Daniel Renwick 36, was convicted of two counts of second-degree murder and sentenced to two 22-year prison terms.

John McCluskey, 45, had been in prison less than two weeks, arriving July 17, after a conviction for second-degree murder, aggravated assault and discharge of a firearm. He received a 15-year sentence.

This is the first time there has been an escape from the private prison in Golden Valley, Flanagan said. Management and Training Corp., based in Centerville, Utah, operates the prison.

The prisoners were noticed missing at the 9 p.m. prisoner count Friday, Flanagan said. It had been an hour since they had been accounted for.

Investigators found tracks from the prison facility leading to a perimeter fence, he said.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...31arizona-prison-murderers.html#ixzz0vMvs5rZO

Picture of the 3 escaped inmates-

ae474w.jpg

Picture of the alleged accomplice (Casslyn Welch)
20ifcpl.jpg

Do they routinely put murderers in medium security? How in the world did they get pliers? You can bet some heads are gonna roll on this one.

Well glad they got the one anyway, but it looks like he split from the group early as he was not involved in the semi hijack, I am sure glad no police were injured in the shoot out.

I can tell you that they do work in prison and they more than likely got the tool from that work area. However, not only are you supposed to keep a written list as to the tools that inmates use, check in/check out policy, but also tools such as this usually have a painted shadow on a pegboard, so at a glance the Officer in charge of Maintenance crew should have known it was gone. Facility wide lockdown and shakedowns are done over missing tools and implements. As far as Perimeter officer being diverted due to giving this lady directions, OMG.... Master Control should have been advised and been watching on monitor, if there is a tower they should have been on it, and when approaching a person from a perimeter vehicle.... lets just say you don't give directions..... Other than, "can I help you, this is a secured perimeter, and you must leave immediately, while holding your service weapon. Yup I would say heads are going to roll....

I hope to God the other two are found and no one is injured before they are or during the apprehension. I also believe the young lady involved should be looking at a very long sentence.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=146355&catid=339

Looks like the two remain at large with the female accomplice, and they BOUGHT A CAR!!!!!!

How the heck they were able to do that is beyond me. Anyways, from what I heard on Fox News this morning, it sounds like they bought a Jetta but "police are no longer searching for it" (and no other details were given). I wonder if they found the Jetta with the guy the caught in CO..

I just pray that these other 2 individuals will be able to be found quickly, and be taken into custody safely without anyone getting injured, or a shootout.

Victim of the Prison Victim Escapee Was Unaware

A man one of the Kingman prison escapees tried to kill didn't know of his escape until he received a phone call from ABC15.

In March of last year, John McCluskey showed up at the victim's Mesa home armed with a shotgun.

McCluskey fired a single shot through the front window and later told investigators he planned to continue shooting but his gun jammed.

"I remember hearing the gunshot," said a neighbor who only wanted to be identified by his first name, Glen.

McCluskey drove off and ditched the jammed shotgun. Mesa Police eventually found him near a golf course not far from the shooting scene.

McCluskey told investigators he would have shot the officer who pulled him over if he still had a working shotgun.

Later that year, McCluskey accepted a plea deal that sent him to prison for the next 15 years.

McCluskey had only served 12 months of that sentence when he escaped from a medium security prison in Kingman Friday night.

Investigators say McCluskey and fellow convict Tracy Province remain on the run.

Snipped from: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_southeast_valley/mesa/prison-escapee-victim-unaware-of-breach

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...0803arizona-cons-escape-raises-questions.html

When you read what the two prisoners at large were convicted for - it will send shivers and make you want to write the authorities -- they should have been in a super max prison

This article say it appears they has inside help.

So they bought a jetta after they stole two semi's those drivers are lucky. Now did they get money because you dont spend money on a car unless you have more money. They also dont say where they believe them to be headed.

This article say it appears they has inside help.

So they bought a jetta after they stole two semi's those drivers are lucky. Now did they get money because you dont spend money on a car unless you have more money. They also dont say where they believe them to be headed.

Officials are saying that they believe they had inside help from one of the escapees girlfriends (or fiancee..not sure which) Cassie Welch. She's also on the run, and she is who helped them escape.

As far as where they're headed, I saw it in one of the articles when the story first broke, but I need to find it again. Either way, I'm sure it's changed by now.

Lax Security Blamed in Inmates Escape

Three convicted murderers escaped a privately run prison in Arizona by using wire cutters that a woman threw over a fence, a state Department of Corrections spokesman said Tuesday.

Officials also said prison staff didn't realize the inmates were missing Friday until after sensors on the perimeter fence sounded and a 9 p.m. head count, which came five hours after the three were last accounted for by prison staff.

The woman who authorities say helped in the escape is Casslyn Mae Welch, 44, of Mesa -- the fiancee and cousin of John McCluskey, one of the three inmates.

She was waiting outside the prison in Kingman as the inmates breached a perimeter fence with the wire cutters and escaped, said department spokesman Barrett Marson.

A security camera captured Welch driving a blue sedan around the facility that holds minimum- and medium-security inmates.

Corrections Director Charles Ryan has said "lax" security created an opportunity for the men to escape. He's scheduled to meet with representatives of the prison operator, Utah-based Management and Training Corp., on Wednesday, Marson said.

"We are going over everything that happened during the night of the escape, and many issues will be addressed with MTC," Marson said.

A spokesman for MTC, Carl Stuart, declined to comment on security at the 3,508-bed facility.

The local sheriff's office wasn't alerted until more than an hour after prison staff discovered the three were missing, and state corrections officials found out about the escape at 11:37 p.m., Maroon said.

Daniel Renwick, 36, was captured Sunday in western Colorado.

Tracy Province, 42, 45-year-old McCluskey and Welch had kidnapped two drivers of a semi-truck in Kingman early Saturday morning and traveled in the rig to Flagstaff, where they left the drivers unharmed, authorities said. The three remain at large and are believed to be together in Arizona, said U.S. Marshals Service spokesman Thomas Henman.

Province was serving a life sentence for murder and robbery, and McCluskey was serving 15 years for second-degree murder, aggravated assault and discharge of a firearm. Renwick was serving a 22-year sentence for second degree murder.

Renwick was being held Tuesday in a Colorado jail on suspicion of attempted first-degree murder, vehicular eluding, possession of a weapon by a previous offender and felony escape. His bail is set at $2.5 million.

Snipped from http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/regio...y,-wire-cutters-aided-kingman-inmates'-escape

I read that they were in a burned vehicle (in that article). I wonder what type of vehicle and how long they have been there. The VIN is in more than one place on vehicles and I've seen several burned vehicles that we could still read the VIN on. So hopefully, they can read it and release the type of vehicle.

Very strange detail: three dogs and three bags of dog food were found with the trailer; did somebody have the compassion to leave food for the dogs after what he or she had done to their owners?! At any rate, it sounds like they will be identified soon, as the vehicle was identified as a travel trailer, they've found the truck that pulled it and they have a good idea of where the two victims traveled from:

http://newsok.com/article/3482736

Very strange. Three dogs and three bags of dog food were found with the trailer; did somebody have the compassion to leave food for the dogs after what he or she had done to their owners?! At any rate, it sounds like they will be identified soon, as the vehicle was identified as a travel trailer, they've found the truck pulling it and they have a good idea of where the two victims traveled from:

http://newsok.com/article/3482736

Article with photos of the Oklahoma couple who own the truck and trailer, though it's not yet known if they're the victims or the vehicles were stolen:

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=12941053

I pray the Haas's are found safe, but this case is eerily similar to Lyle and Marie McCann's. :(

http://newsok.com/search-warrant-sheds-new-light-on-homicide/article/3483383

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- Two men loose from an Arizona prison are suspects in the case of two burned bodies found near Santa Rosa this week, police said.

Police said John McClusky, Terry Province, and a third person, Casslyn Mae Welsh, are suspects in the deaths of two people.

New Mexico police said McClusky and Province are both convicted murderers and have been missing for more than a week. Officers said they believe Welsh is McClusky's girlfriend. More at link:

http://www.koat.com/news/24551051/detail.html

Also, I'm worried about their dogs. My husband and I always travel with our pets in our motorhome, and our biggest fear is what would happen to them if something happened to us. I hope they aren't sitting in a shelter somewhere and that they are back safe with their daughter in Oklahoma.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100808...lYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcnkEc2xrA2FyaXpwcmlzb25lcw--

Ariz. prison escapees linked to NM killings

"Two men who escaped from a private Arizona prison and a woman who helped them have been linked to the investigation of a couple's killing in New Mexico, authorities said Saturday.

New Mexico State Police spokesman Peter Olson said Tracy Province, John McCluskey and Casslyn Welch were linked through forensics but he declined to provide specifics.
He declined to say whether police believe the three were responsible for the killings, adding that "we don't know how involved they are."

more at link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back