1225 users online (266 members and 959 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 68 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Australia - Gary Tweddle, 23, Blue Mountains NSW, 16 July 2013 - #2

MISSING - Gary Tweddle - 23 YO - Blue Mountains - NSW - Australia

Missing from: Fairmont Resort - Leura - Blue Mountains - New South Wales - Australia

Last Known Movements

Video Sighting Mon 15th July 2013: Around Midnight: CCTV Footage shows Gary running from the Fairmont Resort Leura.

Last Reported Sighting Tues 16th July 2013: 12.15 AM - Gary was reportedly seen on Watkins Road by a passing motorist who did not stop.

Last Contact Tues 16th July 2013: 12.20 AM - Gary made contact via his phone to his colleagues back at the resort. The phone call was 17 minutes long.
    At 12:37 AM the phone cut out - his battery was depleted or it had lost reception, or had been turned off.

Physical Description:
    Hair: short brown hair
    Eyes: brown eyes
    Complexion: Fair
    Height:165-170cm (64-66 inches) (5'4"-5'6"ft) tall.

Clothing
    Purple and Pink Checkered patterned shirt
    Dark Grey Jeans

GOOGLE MAP-Fairmont Resort Leura - Blue Mountains NSW

Anyone with information on his whereabouts is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

SOURCES:
    ABC News Report
    Australian Times.co.uk
    Yahoo

Timeline/Media Links/Maps

Thread #1
    Last edited by KateB; 04-26-2015 at 09:39 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

It is VERY important that all WS members read and understand the concepts listed below. Everyone will be expected to follow them while at WS.

Rules Etiquette & Information

Please continue here...

FigTree 08-17-2013 07:22 PM
    Updated timeline...
    Reports up until 16th August 2013

MONDAY
    15TH JULY 2013

TIME: UNKNOWN - A.M
    EVENT: GARY TWEDDLE LEAVES CREMORNE, SYDNEY - TO TRAVEL TO LEURA:

'The computer sales representative from Cremorne, on Sydney's north shore, kissed his girlfriend Anika goodbye on the morning'

TIME: UNKNOWN - DAYTIME
    EVENT: TRAVEL TO LEURA:

Headed by bus to Leura.
    Check-in at the Fairmont Resort Leura:
    Staying at the Fairmont Resort for a Conference to award high achievers.

TIME: 7.00 PM - 10.41 PM
    EVENT: LEAVE THE FAIRMONT RESORT TO GO TO DINNER BOOKING AT LEURA:
    'A group of 45 people took taxis into Leura to have dinner about 7pm. at Silks Brasserie Leura'

TIME: 10.41 PM
    EVENT: END DINNER AT BRASSERIE:

The bill is paid at SILKS Brasserie

TIME: 11.00 PM
    EVENT: GET INTO TAXI AT LEURA:

His colleagues helped him get into the passenger seat of a Leura-Katoomba Radio Cabs taxi. The taxi driver drove Gary, 2 men & 1 woman to the arrival entrance of the Fairmont Resort, Leura.

TIME: 11.10 PM
    EVENT: ARRIVE BACK AT FAIRMONT RESORT LEURA:

'The taxi driver says he remembered well the 10-minute trip to the Fairmont. The taxi driver dropped the group off and says he saw Mr Tweddle, two men and a woman walk into the resort's foyer.'

TIME: Unknown (not reported)
    EVENT: MR TREDDLE JOINS COLLEAGUES IN COLLEAGUES ROOM FOR DRINKS:

'The group continued drinking in one of the resort rooms and Mr Tweddle had a few sips of a beer before he told his colleagues he was ''going downstairs for a minute''

TIME: *(v1) Soon after / (v2) After 11.10 PM to AROUND MIDNIGHT / (v3) AFTER MIDNIGHT *NO EXACT TIME GIVEN
    EVENT: MR TWEDDLE LEAVES THE FAIRMONT RESORT:

(v1) Soon after Mr Tweddle was dropped off security footage captures him running out of the Fairmont without his jacket or glasses..
    (v2) Mr Tweddle runs out of the Fairmont main entrance about midnight
    (v3) Gary Tweddle, was seen leaving the Fairmont Resort at Leura in the early hours of Tuesday 16 July.

Crossover to: TUES, 16TH JULY 2013

TIME:12.15 AM
    EVENT: PASSING MOTORIST ON WATKINS ROAD SEE’S MR TWEDDLE:

'At 12.15, a car drove past him as he was standing in the middle of Watkins Road talking on his phone. The car did not stop.'
    'He was last seen waving at a car 400m from the Watkins Rd resort about 12.15am.'

TIME:12.20 AM
    EVENT: GARY RANG HIS COLLEAGUES BACK AT THE RESORT TO SAY (v1) HE WAS LOST (v2) HE WAS LOST IN THE BUSH -

(v1) At 12.20, He spoke to colleagues for 17 minutes and said he was lost and did not know where he was. Police says he told his colleagues he was running and sounded as he was jumping or leaping over things as he spoke to them.
    (v2) Shortly after midnight, he phoned his colleagues, and four of them huddled around a phone on loud speaker as Mr Tweddle explained he was lost in the bush. ''He was pleading with them to stay on the phone, saying 'I am lost I cannot find my way back.' He kept talking about heading towards a light on a hill.

TIME: *12.37 AM - *Time calculated from 12.20PM phone call
    EVENT: MR TWEDDLES PHONE CUTS OFF:

'While Mr Tweddle didn't sound panicked on the phone he did tell colleagues he was lost and was headed towards a "light on a hill" before his phone battery died or the phone was switched off.'

TIME: 02.00 AM *time given was 'somewhere between 12.00MN – 2.00AM'
    EVENT: NOISES HEARD NEAR RESORT:

Hotel guests and residents heard noises near the resort and possibly bins being knocked over in nearby Watkins Road between midnight and 2am but police are not sure whether the sounds came from the missing man or from the colleagues calling out to him.

TIME: 03.00 AM
    EVENT: GARY’S PHONE STOPS SENDING A SIGNAL:

'At 3am, his phone stopped sending a signal, meaning either the battery had gone or Mr Tweddle had dropped it.'

TIME:03.30 AM
    EVENT:GARY’S DISAPPEARANCE IS REPORTED TO GARYS GIRLFRIEND ANIKA HAIGH (IN SYDNEY):

At 3.30am, Ms Haigh received a phone call from colleagues at the resort to inform her Gary was missing and to file a report.

List of media / reports / timelines can be found also at:
    Australia GARY TWEDDLE - LEURA, NSW - 16th July 2013 *Media *Links *Timeline NO DISCUSSION thread - click here.

Edits:
    1. Add (v3) to 11.15pm timeline.
    2. Add waving at car to 12.15pm timeline

Just wanted to bring over FigTree's timeline from the previous thread.

ETA: Hope you don't mind FigTree, but I added the waving at the car at about 12:15 from Lexis post below
    Last edited by SouthAussie; 08-22-2013 at 06:16 AM.
    Things are not what they appear to be. Nor are they otherwise.
    - Surangama Sutra

Thanks Mod.

Again another confusion. Fortunate pointed this out......"He was last seen waving at a car 400m from the Watkins Rd resort about 12.15am."
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226683610497

Perhaps the Det. wouldn't mind clarifying which report details are correct.

It does make it much easier to have the details of exactly how it all went. Even another clarifying press statement to the press, proof read by the Det., would be wonderfully helpful.

Completely different set of circumstances but I see a 22yr old Canadian was lost for two days in Qld bush. Fortunately he was located this morning.

http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1226701831109

Quote Originally Posted by marlywings View Post
    Completely different set of circumstances but I see a 22yr old Canadian was lost for two days in Qld bush. Fortunately he was located this morning.

http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1226701831109
    One would have hoped that Mr Tweedle's pink and purple checkered shirt would have stood out in the bush.

I suppose the SES use high powered binoculars for searching?

That Canad was thanking his lucky stars. Gary's stars seem not have been so lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexis View Post
    Thanks Mod.

Again another confusion. Fortunate pointed this out......"He was last seen waving at a car 400m from the Watkins Rd resort about 12.15am."
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226683610497

Perhaps the Det. wouldn't mind clarifying which report details are correct.

It does make it much easier to have the details of exactly how it all went. Even another clarifying press statement to the press, proof read by the Det., would be wonderfully helpful.
    It will depend on what reports are being quoted from - the timelines and descriptions seem to be more accurate as of the 30th of August when there were more details revealed.

The report said that Gary was on Watkins Road at 12:15am TUESDAY 16th August. The motorist would have given this time frame to Police to work off.

The phone call to his friends can be verified by phone records - so I'm not doubting that he was on the phone at 12:20am - just wondering his exact location at that time - albeit his friends said he was on Watkins Road.

Hope you are found soon Gary Tweddle.

Just to let ya know...
    I have asked marlywings to update the header post so that it reflects the changes in information since the first report came out about Gary. So it will read accurate as of this new thread #2.
    Thanks marlywings

For any members new to WS I've included in the first post above a link to what we call the Timeline thread. This contains a wealth of information such as maps of the area, photos, links to all media reports about the case & is updated as new information comes to hand.

Timeline Forum and Media links

Australia GARY TWEDDLE - LEURA, NSW - 16th July 2013 *Media *Links *Timeline NO DISCUSSION - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Quote Originally Posted by marlywings View Post

NEWS.COM.AU
    Thank goodness he was found! Lucky young man!
    Mr Bouchard, who was on his way to Birdsville for the annual Simpson Desert Racing Carnival.
    He should be a little bit more prepared for the Birdsville race now. A little more cautious too.

If only Gary can now be found next. Here's hoping!

Someone asked in thread 1 what day did Gary arrive at The Fairmont Resort - (sorry I didn't retrieve the post from thread1 to quote)
    From the report below it was the Monday 15th July - the same day everything started to happen... Dinner at Silks / leaving the Resort...

SMH The computer sales representative from Cremorne, on Sydney's north shore, kissed his girlfriend Anika goodbye on the morning of Monday, July 15. He was one of a number of Oracle employees who were staying at the Fairmont Resort at Leura as part of a work conference to reward high achievers.

Quote Originally Posted by FigTree View Post
    Thank goodness he was found! Lucky young man!

He should be a little bit more prepared for the Birdsville race now. A little more cautious too.

If only Gary can now be found next. Here's hoping!
    I am wracking my brains for the last time a local boy went wandering off like this and had to be rescued, but I can't come up with an example. It's like we are raised with an innate respect for the vastness around us. We know the dangers, but we have overseas folks getting lost and rescued all the time, either because they don't understand the specific conditions or the best way to be found, or because they have some weird Bear Grylls fantasy.

This is why us locals are baffled at this one. We grow up with horror stories of bunyips, poisonous snakes, scorpions, dying of thirst in the desert, never to be seen again. We know to stay by the vehicle. This works whether you're in the Outback or in the bush. Sit down and wait, it's the only way to survive if you get lost.

I am also very aware of the person who actually went out and recreated his walk and said it was so dark up there he literally could not have walked into the bush, as he just couldn't see anything. It would have been like walking into a black hole. A black hole that bites, stings, slithers and scratches.

The Canadian boy in the article was too frightened to sleep "in case something ate him".

In the picture accompanying the article, he's dressed completely in brown which would have made him very very difficult to find. He was extremely lucky. Locals tend to wear red or blue or fluro in the bush.

Which makes it even more strange that Gary hasn't been found. Pink and purple check would stand out up there. He wasn't on a trail bike, he could literally only be within a range of 1 sq km even if he did manage to wander in or fall. If he is deceased, his body is still there. They should have found it by now.
    Everything I post is my opinion only, can change at any time, and is not intended to replace fact.
    Critical Thinking is often criticised.
    KISS

5˝ weeks have now passed since Gary disappeared. Gary has been searched and searched and searched for.

There is something very NOT RIGHT about the way in which he disappeared. Everyone commenting about this on FB are as bewildered as we are. Locals are still looking and testing different theories.

According to their FB pages, the local authorities are still busy rescuing genuine bushwalkers who have become lost since Gary disappeared, and have found them all.

Police have said that this will now be treated as a missing persons case, so its priority will have dropped significantly.

I think it may be time for the family to consider the assistance of a PI.
    Things are not what they appear to be. Nor are they otherwise.
    - Surangama Sutra

Quote Originally Posted by SapphireSteel View Post
    I am wracking my brains for the last time a local boy went wandering off like this and had to be rescued, but I can't come up with an example. It's like we are raised with an innate respect for the vastness around us. We know the dangers, but we have overseas folks getting lost and rescued all the time, either because they don't understand the specific conditions or the best way to be found, or because they have some weird Bear Grylls fantasy.

This is why us locals are baffled at this one. We grow up with horror stories of bunyips, poisonous snakes, scorpions, dying of thirst in the desert, never to be seen again. We know to stay by the vehicle. This works whether you're in the Outback or in the bush. Sit down and wait, it's the only way to survive if you get lost.

I am also very aware of the person who actually went out and recreated his walk and said it was so dark up there he literally could not have walked into the bush, as he just couldn't see anything. It would have been like walking into a black hole. A black hole that bites, stings, slithers and scratches.

The Canadian boy in the article was too frightened to sleep "in case something ate him".

In the picture accompanying the article, he's dressed completely in brown which would have made him very very difficult to find. He was extremely lucky. Locals tend to wear red or blue or fluro in the bush.

Which makes it even more strange that Gary hasn't been found. Pink and purple check would stand out up there. He wasn't on a trail bike, he could literally only be within a range of 1 sq km even if he did manage to wander in or fall. If he is deceased, his body is still there. They should have found it by now.
    This guy fell off a rock earlier this year http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Mountains.html

There was a Grammar school boy, about 4 years ago who fell to his death at Wentworth Falls. Conclusion was at that time, suicide, he was being treated for something. Very tragic indeed.

It is a hazardous place and as Figtree says, one needs always to be mindful of precipices and that ones good judgement is the only safety rail in most places.

Page 1 of 68 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast