LA - Marie Smothers, 87, shot to death by 8yo boy, Slaughter, 22 Aug 2013

Kimberlyd125

Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athlet
Reaction score
This is about 5 miles from me so it's hitting close to home.

Slaughter is a small town in East Feliciana parish.
Just to give you an idea, the population was 988 in 2011.

Right on the East Baton Rouge parish line.

What a sad story. I wonder, was he playing with the weapon? Why was the weapon within his reach??? So many questions.

Yes. Many many questions.
Hoping to hear more tomorrow.
What a tragedy.

Why did that little boy even have ACCESS to the damn gun?!?!?! These things don't have to happen. Grrrrrrr

Wow, this I so sad. I'm singing the same song as some of you....
why was the child able to find or get the gun?
Why was it within reach? Imo

Hopefully we will get some answers soon.

I have no words right now.
:(

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=23242078

East Feliciana Parish Sheriff's Office officials say they believe an 8-year-old intentionally pulled the trigger and killed an elderly woman Thursday evening right after playing 'Grand Theft Auto IV'.

According to family members of the victim, her name was Marie Smothers. Smothers was 90 years old

Authorities say that Louisiana law prohibits them from charging the child with a crime because of his age.

The law states: "Those who have not reached the age of 10 years are exempt from criminal responsibility. However, nothing in this article shall affect the jurisdiction of juvenile courts as established by the constitution and statutes of this state."

Seems she was shot in the back of the head while she was watching TV.

Where did he get that gun????

A 90 year old grandmother is primary care-giver for an 8 year old!?!

Where the hell were mom, dad, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, child protection services, yadayadayada? This is seriously messed up.

90, really?!?

A 90 year old grandmother is primary care-giver for an 8 year old!?!

Where the hell were mom, dad, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, child protection services, yadayadayada? This is seriously messed up.

90, really?!?

We don't know yet. Still waiting for information to come out.

So far, not much has been released.

Wording has changed a bit. Now it says she was his current caregiver....

Smothers, 90, was the child's current caregiver.

http://www.wbrz.com/news/8-year-old-shot-grandmother-after-playing-video-game

Not that it makes much of a difference. Maybe it was a temporary thing. I'm not sure what to think.
Since he was released to his parents that leads me to think he wasn't taken from them and placed with the grandmother or anything.

Such a strange case.

I'm generally the one in the thread defending video games (such as Minecraft) from all sorts of nonsense accusations, but no 8 year old should be playing Grand Theft Auto IV, which is rated M and is really intended for grown ups. It's like sitting your 8 year old down and having him watch Scarface over and over again.

MATURE
Content is generally suitable for ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

there's no way to reconcile this for me

it's the gun culture that's to blame IMO

she would've likely survived any other attack

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member