KS - Probation for ex-student who stole Robert Frost bust from campus in 1987

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Oh, those "beer bongs." From the Wichita Eagle:

Man apologizes for stealing poet’s bust from Wichita State in 1987

Mitchel Potter admits he stole a bronze bust of American poet Robert Frost from Wichita State University in 1987.

Back then, he was a 19-year-old fraternity pledge, he said, aided by alcohol and adolescence.
---
“It’s a hard, hard lesson,” said Potter, 45. “It’s embarrassing to have something come back after years.”
---
Friday marks a year since the “Bust of Robert Frost” was returned to WSU’s Ulrich Museum of Art, 25 years after it was reported stolen by university staff members.
---
The caper started, Potter said, in late March 1987 at a bar in a town he refused to name. Potter – a student at a Kansas university – was drinking with friends when, he said, fraternity pledges from WSU approached.

“They took me back to Wichita State. And we took up with an active chapter there,” he said, for a weekend of alcohol and fun.

“I was doing a lot of beer bongs, I guess.”
---
On Aug. 29, a Missouri trooper arrived at Potter’s Lamar home and spotted the bust “in plain view” through a broken garage window, court records show. The bust, valued at $25,000 by Missouri authorities, was confiscated and returned to WSU the following day.
---
In a deal with prosecutors, he pleaded guilty to one misdemeanor count of receiving stolen property. He was sentenced to two years of probation and must complete 100 hours of community service, court records show.
---
much more at the link

The most interesting thing that's happened in Wichita since the BTK killer. Mr. Potter should be rewarded, not punished.

(For the record, I was born a half-hour north of Wichita and have visited many times. But not since I became an adult and controlled my own travel arrangements.)

Nova, you might want to look twice at Wichita...it's a much more interesting place than it was when you were a child. Seriously.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back