American man swallows human toe in Canadian bar; pays $500 fine

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Customer Fined $500 for Swallowing Human Toe in Canadian Bar. (Gawker)
An American man was fined $500 Saturday night after he swallowed a beloved human toe belonging to a Canadian bar.

The Downtown Hotel in Dawson City, Canada apparently has a “famous Dawson City tradition” which involves drinking a shot of Yukon Gold whiskey with a withered old toe inside. In order to properly enjoy the “Sourtoe Cocktail,” the customer must touch their lips to the toe, which has been dehydrated and preserved in salt. To prevent theft or swallowing, the bar established a $500 fine.

According to Terry Lee, the bar's “toe captain” on duty that night, an American decided a simple lip touch wasn't enough, so he gulped down the entire toe. Lee told the CBC that the American, who reportedly had just collected his rent deposit, then placed the $500 fine in cash on his table and left.
---
more, including toe shot and info on "backup toe," at the link

I have seen this on TV the bar or whatever it is that u have to do the shot and kiss the toe after words lol .

Why can't Americans behave when traveling abroad?!

Showing such flagrant disregard for the sacred cultural rites that define a kindred nation.

Revised Macbeth I.iii.87ff

First Witch: Here I have a pilot's thumb,
..................Wreck'd as homeward he did come.

American tourist: (swallows thumb)

Daily Mail discovers the tale, with pics, video, sidebar:

'If you have a spare toe, we need one': Patron swallows amputated toe in cocktail bar ON PURPOSE - and pays $500 for the privilege
• The 40-year tradition was started by Captain Dick after he found a severed toe in a jar
• Those up for the challenge must make sure the toe touches their lips
• The fine for swallowing it has now gone up to $2,500
• Downtown Hotel are now searching for a new toe for the club
• Almost 100,000 people are members of the club
• About 30 people a day take part in the challenge

Yuck!!!

I would not want to be the next girl to kiss Josh from New Orleans.

Lee told the CBC that the American, who reportedly had just collected his rent deposit, then placed the $500 fine in cash on his table and left.

Apparently he wanted that toe badly and was prepared to pay for it.

That is just nasty, it makes regular (fresh) cannibalism seem polite in comparison. Ugh.

Yuck!!!

I would not want to be the next girl to kiss Josh from New Orleans.
I hope I never find out from which neighborhood. Hope he's from one of da 'paishes'
How dumb, unhealthy, etc etc etc

People drink something with a human toe in it? That sounds completely unhygienic to me. You couldn't pay me enough to do something like that.

He can always return the toe. Would he get his money back, I wonder?

My dad recently had a toe amputated. He was bummed that he didn't get to keep it (it was classified as medical waste apparently). We joked that he was going to make a necklace out of it. At least I hope we were joking.

Anyway, I sent this story to him earlier today and can't wait to hear his reaction. I know he would have totally donated his toe for the cause!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back