1187 users online (192 members and 995 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Fast Food Workers Want $15/hr

NEW YORK - Fast-food customers in search of burgers and fries on Thursday might run into striking workers instead.

Organizers say thousands of fast-food workers are set to stage walkouts in dozens of cities around the country, part of a push to get chains such as McDonald's, Taco Bell and Wendy's to pay workers higher wages.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/nat...#ixzz2dMiNXWUh

Good luck with that. Here where I live, you're lucky to get an office job requiring a moderately intense skill set for $10/hr.

If they paid $15 to start, I could worry a little less what will happen when my boss retires or whatever happens next. It would be a dollar more an hour for me.

I still would not be able to live comfortably here, rent is more than half what I make a month, then add utilities, gas, groceries (nothing fancy, dried beans, rice, bag of frozen veggies), phone. I'm broke. I've been at this job for 17 years, a respectable 9-5 job. And, I don't live in NY!

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

I think that the fast food industry is a place that is meant as a starter job or a move up job. There is no way I think the that it should be a cause to raise the Minimum wage. If I go to work at McD's I know what I am going to be paid. That is my choice. I could also most likely get free money to go to school and earn a trade to make more.

People want more for doing the same thing.
    Atticus Finch: “You never really understand a person . . . until you consider things from his point of view.” To Kill A Mockingbird

All my posts are my opinion only.

If that happened, the cost of fast food would skyrocket and a lot of them wouldn't have a job at all.

MOO

This is in large part a result of the healthcare reform legislation that said most all employers have to provide health insurance to their full time employees.

The fast food industry often has VERY small profit margins, they could start losing money if they had to pay health insurance for all staff so instead they started making virtually all of the staff "part time" to avoid the insurance costs.

As a result the workers are getting fewer hours and making less money, that is prompting the increase in minimum wage.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...low-wages.html

I'd be happy to pay more for fast food if it means the workers can earn a living wage and get affordable health care.

The minimum wage hasn't kept up with the cost of living and most of the new jobs created in our current economy are in these low-paying industries. There just aren't enough well paying jobs in the economy anymore, so many of them have been shipped overseas.

Good luck to the fast food workers, I hope they get better pay. I disliked it when my kids worked in the fast food/restaurant industry. The work was difficult, hours were irregular and the pay was very low. Sometimes they never received paychecks or were cheated out of the actual hours they worked. Crooked business.
    All statements are my opinion only.

The restaurant chains wouldn't close. The prices wouldn't skyrocket. There would still be jobs.

In Australia: National minimum wage for adults (from the Govt website) --

"Currently the full-time minimum wage is $16.37 per hour or $622.20 per week. This means that most employees in the national system shouldn't get less than this.

Casuals covered by the national minimum wage get an extra 24% ($20.30 per hour)."

Allowing for the slight difference between currencies, we aren't far off US$15.00 per hour.

And our economy isn't collapsing. Nor is the universe ending in a blinding flash of middle class panic. People are still able to ingest high concentrations of sodium and fat on a sesame seed bun...

Quote Originally Posted by Ausgirl View Post
    The restaurant chains wouldn't close. The prices wouldn't skyrocket. There would still be jobs.

In Australia: National minimum wage for adults (from the Govt website) --

"Currently the full-time minimum wage is $16.37 per hour or $622.20 per week. This means that most employees in the national system shouldn't get less than this.

Casuals covered by the national minimum wage get an extra 24% ($20.30 per hour)."

Allowing for the slight difference between currencies, we aren't far off US$15.00 per hour.

And our economy isn't collapsing. Nor is the universe ending in a blinding flash of middle class panic. People are still able to ingest high concentrations of sodium and fat on a sesame seed bun...

I need to move there! Lol.

I agree, it would not harm the economy. It would help it.

The more people make, the more the spend. Crime would go down some, as some could afford the things they are stealing.

I don't understand the U.S.'s way of keeping the majority poor, or trying to impose guilt of a failing economy. If everyone is barely making it, then the economy cannot grow. If only a few have enough to spend, the economy stays low. Too many bottom line number crunchers here, and looking out only for the few at the top. JMO, moo, etc...

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

I am glad to see others standing up for these workers. Every worker deserves a living wage!
    Last edited by Gardenlady; 08-29-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Word choice
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

In and Out has an awesome model. They don't franchise, they serve higher quality food, and they treat their employees awesome, with good wages and benefits. And their prices? Still good.

It's sort of like Costco vs Sam's club. Costco is not hurting with a $10.50 starting wage and good benefits.

Also, people don't just choose to work in fastfood. A great many simply don't have a choice. Be it lack of education or opportunity, they are there because often, it's the only job they can have. And it's not easy, either.

and a lack of transportation. I know a lot of you guys that live in huge cities with awesome mass transit would be shocked to know in Dallas the buses stop running around 10:30 and the trains stop running around 12:30 or 1:00. We also dont have mass transit everywhere. A lot of the great jobs are located in areas where there are limited buses or none at all.

I dont agree with all fast food workers being paid 15 bucks. The cost of living here is a lot cheaper than most places. $15 bucks an hr here is like office worker pay or even better, but I agree about IN and Out burger being the model. 10.50 is fair for here in Texas.
    Rest in Peace John 08/09/86-04/24/2014.

Husband, father and son. I miss you and so does your son.

The cost if labor is a tiny fraction if the cost of a McD's burger. And they just gave the CEO a whopping multimillion dollar raise.
    The cost if Obamacare is negligible. Offering workers healthcare does not mean that the company is required to pay for it. I pay around 500 a month for mine, but it is offered by my company. It is better to have employer health care than individual coverage, because you get the benefit of group coverage being cheaper. If I purchased the same insurance on my own it would run me over 600 monthly. My employer picks up a small amount of cost involved in administration and the like, but they do not pay for my healthcare. That is not what Obamacare means, and it is sad that people have been so misinformed by the factions in the government that want to kill it. (The same ones getting fully funded government healthcare themselves, I may add). So, no, the healthcare law is not why Mcads pays such poor wages.

We taxpayers are being financially raped by the likes of McDs, WALMART, and all the other minimum wage paying employers - especially the ones who shift employee hours so that they are never considered full time or permanent and therefore are not eligible for things like vacation time and sick days, or healthcare etc.
    We taxpayers pick up the rest of the cost of living for these folks. So Walmart and the rest are costing us, the taxpayers, plenty. If the minimum wage was raised to what it was designed to be (a wage to keep a person out of poverty), we, the taxpayers would not be paying to subsidize these workers in the form of food stamps, welfare and subsidized health care. Walmart and the like are draining wealth out of the nation into their profits. It is not fair.

Sorry to rant, personal sore subject with me.
    Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans. J. Lennon NYC

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I find this to be a joke. These workers are demanding double their pay. Really? Will that make them get an order correct?

I came from nothing. I worked 3 jobs in high school to help my mom pay the bills. And yes, I worked in the fast food industry. I worked hard, and got lots of raises. Therefore I did not "deserve" a good wage, I earned it! I also worked hard to not make that my career. It was as some say, a stepping stone.

So, yeah this bugs me. Who are these people that think they are entitled to DEMAND twice their pay?

Frankly I'm pretty tired of these people who feel they are "entitled" to things. What ever happened to working hard to earn it?
    Look twice - Save a Life! Motorcycles are everywhere!

I've heard they're making that much per hour at Mcdonald's in oil boom towns. Of course, housing and everything else also costs more in those towns. I also know a gal who worked for them, didn't even put in 40 hrs per week and got health insurance.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast