School District offers Family Thousands to keep Autistic student out of school.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I have a nephew who is autistic and we don't know yet how he is going to do in school. He is starting this fall.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I have a nephew who is autistic and we don't know yet how he is going to do in school. He is starting this fall.

Many other schools understand how important education and services are at a young age. I hope and pray your nephew has such a school district. Thank you.

I'm so sorry you and your son are being put through this,if it was me I'd take them for all they had AND have my son reinstated into the school.
The discrimination here is absolutely appalling,you cannot refuse anyone the right to about education based on a physical or mental disability... that's basically the same as refusing someone education based on their sexual orientation or race and you can bet your bottom dollar they wouldn't even think of doing something like that so what is the difference here.

Sorry for the rant but this has annoyed me,I have a few friends who have autistic children,who aren't of school age yet but it makes me worry for their future

Sent from my 'alternate reality' using my hippocampus

It seems to be an increase in discrimination and bad attitudes towards autistic people.

Sometimes I feel our socity is going backwards. Too much talk about acceptance and tolerance, but it's just fine talk. Actions are not in alignment with those words.

Why are they offering the money to begin with, surely there are other autistic children in the district, can David be in a classroom environment safely, are the other children safe?

MaHouston, I think you are very brave and devoted to your son. Thank you so much for sharing your story! :hug:

Why are they offering the money to begin with, surely there are other autistic children in the district, can David be in a classroom environment safely, are the other children safe?

It's their attempt to buy a "blanket release" relieving them of all any claims. He's a very kind, compliant student. His teacher force-fed him a year ago until he vomited to cure him of his food sensory issues. Instead of removing the teacher, they moved him into another Special Day class with a teacher of adult classmates. He attended this class last year. When I sent him with his 1:1 nurse that's been his nurse for 5 years they said, no, neither of you can be here. Two weeks later I get the 86,000 offer to never bring him.... A bribe to hush up.

It's their attempt to buy a "blanket release" relieving them of all any claims. He's a very kind, compliant student. His teacher force-fed him a year ago until he vomited to cure him of his food sensory issues. Instead of removing the teacher, they moved him into another Special Day class with a teacher of adult classmates. He attended this class last year. When I sent him with his 1:1 nurse that's been his nurse for 5 years they said, no, neither of you can be here. Two weeks later I get the 86,000 offer to never bring him.... A bribe to hush up.

What a mess, I wish you well in the education you seek for your son!

OMG-I dont know what to say to that...I dont know what to write.

Obviously, the biggest victim here is David. But what of the other children? Aren't they being robbed of the opportunity to learn to interact with someone who is different?

Quite frankly, that's the primary function of public schools. Otherwise, everyone could just home school.

I was going to ask D's age and read the comments from the link. He's 21 and entitled by law to receive this last year of education.

I am not sure even what to say.
Is there any reason they say they don't want him on the campus? Why they are doing this? Not that there is any good reason I am just curious if they claim some kind of hardship or whatever.

You are doing a good job mama.

Continue to advocate for your child's educational needs. You are also paving the way for student and their parents needing SpEd. I have a nephew that needs 24 hour care and he'll be aging out of SpEd services in 2 years. His mom is one tough cookie who has challenged SpEd from the beginning. Hugs and prayers.

I wonder how the ongoing battle between the school board and the mom is affecting the son. I suspect that it's adding considerably to the young man's stress about school.

A friend of mine was visiting our family this summer with her autistic son who is 19. The son was completely fixated on the battle his mom had with the school board about having to switch schools.

He's 21. I'd take the $89,000 and hire a private tutor or enrol him in an appropriate program in college. Yes, he's entitled to another year in school, but I would not let the principle become an obsession. The young man will surely become very upset by the stress. For his sake, I'd not try to move this mountain. I am otherwise, a fighter and loathe to let this kind of thing go.

Did the school offer any kind of reasoning for how they came up with the 1st & 2nd dollar amounts offered?

I can't imagine being force fed by someone trying to bring about a "cure". That's similar to what they did back years ago trying to cure left handed kids, which was ignorant and not nearly as bad.

The bribe is for a "release" to absolve them of any other suits for abuse, discrimination, I could take them to court for due to their "actions", "inactions". They are also trying to keep him, me, and his 1:1 nurse (written into in his IEP) he's had for five years (reported the abuse to authorities) OUT of the classroom because she and I are mandated reporters and David is not the only student treated this way. They are afraid of what we will see..and say. If I provide his diabetes care myself or his private duty nurse does, the school saves 100,000 a year, and is relieved of liability they now incur.

In regards to what he is doing after 22, and actually what he is doing right now since he is not allowed to step into his classroom...I have rented David his own apartment. I pay his private duty nurse to care for his diabetes while he attends a customized community based instruction program I created. I pay for private assistive technology and speech and language tutoring, occupational therapy, and he spends an hour at the indoor therapy pool for the disabled which is great for his blood glucose levels. He spends an hour a day riding horses at his nurse's ranch, and brushing them. He has daily living assistance to do his laundry, household chores, and paying bills. He understands and comprehends English verbal instructions, and some Spanish. He cannot speak or write. He can use his ipad, TaptoTalk software and type. So we're working on increasing his vocabulary and communication, self awareness of diabetic symptoms, and social community interaction. He's safe and progressing well. I will never accept a bribe to "sign away" or "release" the school district from any of his rights to education or due process that affords him educational or reimbursement remedies by a judge for their discrimination. I also want to stop them from warehousing, denying services and communication systems to all the other non verbal autistic children and adults in their education programs. Thank you for your questions and support!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back