744 users online (100 members and 644 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

OR - Pastor dead after shooting at state trooper, The Dalles, OR

NEAR THE DALLES, Ore. – Investigators have identified the man who opened fire on a state trooper during a traffic stop east of The Dalles on Thursday, although they have not said what might have motivated him to start shooting.

John Van Allen II, 34, was shot and killed by the trooper who pulled him over, according to state police spokesman Lt. Gregg Hastings.

<modsnip>

http://www.keprtv.com/news/local/Fri...221843721.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PORTLAND, Ore. – The family of a man who police say died in a shootout with a state trooper on Interstate 84 near The Dalles says there are still a lot of questions about how Thursday's shooting unfolded.

John Van Allen II, 34, was shot and killed by a trooper who pulled him over for speeding, according to Oregon State Police.

Allen's cousin, Kasmira Hamlet, who lives in Southeast Portland, said Friday she has no idea what may have led to the shootout. <modsnip>

<modsnip>

http://www.katu.com/news/Family-of-m...221896251.html
    Last edited by bessie; 08-31-2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: snipped to comply with 10% copyright rule
    You are the anchor to my soul, you won't let go ...

How weird, and how horrible for his kids

Unbelievable. The guy guns down a police officer in front of his own kids, yet the dead cop is the one being investigated to determine if he was justified in shooting back at the man who murdered him. Score another one for the bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by TGIRecovered View Post
    Unbelievable. The guy guns down a police officer in front of his own kids, yet the dead cop is the one being investigated to determine if he was justified in shooting back at the man who murdered him. Score another one for the bad guys.
    The trooper is not dead. The man who shot the trooper is dead after the trooper filed back. The man had his kids in the car and took off and the police found him in the car dead. It is normal for the trooper to be under investigation in a shooting but it's believed he did nothing wrong. jmo

Any shooting needs to be investigated. No one is saying the trooper did anything wrong, but that needs to be ascertained.

We can't just allow police shootings to go uninvestigated, merely taking the word of the officer. That way lies an out of control police force.

All this said - hopefully dash cam has a good clear picture of whatever went on. If it happened as the trooper has said, what could have happened to this man to make him do that, and with his kids in the car? He doesnt sound like someone with a criminal or violent background - military, pastor, taking care of three kids. Some kind of snapping? Dd he feel threatened?
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

Thank you Gardenlady, I echo your thoughts. Regardless of why, it was a horrible, lifechanging experience for his children. I so hope they have loving family members who will take them, and ensure they have the proper counseling for years to come. It's always the children who seem to suffer.
    You are the anchor to my soul, you won't let go ...

Interesting comments on this article from above.

http://www.katu.com/news/Family-of-m...221896251.html

Here is an article with many details. There is a video of incident, not released yet. He was moving back to the East Coast because he couldn't find a job. He had money problems and lots of traffic tickets in the past. Maybe it was suicide by cop.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...n_who_die.html

Why put your children in harms way though?

Quote Originally Posted by popsicle View Post
    Why put your children in harms way though?
    Maybe it was just a sudden impulse. It sounds like he has leaving/moving at the time he was stopped.

He was caught with a Mac10 at the age of 14...per him on FB.

ETA: I get the impression that is why he went into the Army... legal troubles as a youth and perhaps it straightened him out. jmo nvm he joined at the age of 30.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4044431.html
    [video]

Police released video Thursday of a highway shootout that started when a man pulled a gun during a routine traffic stop -- while his kids waited in the car.

Oregon State Trooper Matthew Zistel sustained a bullet wound in his side when John Van Allen II, 34, allegedly fired several shots at him on Interstate 84 in August, KGW reports. Allen -- a trained military veteran who was on a road trip with his three children -- was killed by a single gunshot wound to the chest..........

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

I think it's a darn good thing that Trooper was such a good shot.

Quote Originally Posted by colette View Post
    Maybe it was just a sudden impulse. It sounds like he has leaving/moving at the time he was stopped.
    After seeing the dash cam video... nah, he thought about what he was going to do right before he did it. That officer was very blessed that day. imo