LA - Londyn Samuels, 1, shot to death, New Orleans, 29 Aug 2013 *Arrests*

Darkman00

Reaction score
This story was originally published on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:16 AM EDT | Updated 5 hours ago

By Tracy Connor, Staff Writer, NBC News

A 1-year-old girl was shot dead in her babysitter's arms in New Orleans, prompting the city's mayor to declare "enough is enough" as police hunted for two suspects with little help from witnesses.

Londyn Samuels, who was just learning to walk, was struck by a bullet fired into her 18-year-old nanny's back as she carried the toddler home from the park.

<modsnip>

Read more: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-year-old-shot-to-death-on-new-orleans-street

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-year-old-shot-to-death-on-new-orleans-street

A 1-year-old girl was shot dead in her babysitter's arms in New Orleans, prompting the city's mayor to declare "enough is enough" as police hunted for two suspects with little help from witnesses.

Londyn Samuels, who was just learning to walk, was struck by a bullet fired into her 18-year-old nanny's back as she carried the toddler home from the park...........

"We think the neighborhood knows who they are," Serpas said, adding that only one tip had come into CrimeStoppers despite a $5,000 reward.

I need a shower after reading the comments. I am almost speechless

I no longer read comments. They are generally ugly.

What a gorgeous little girl.

We just get finished with the Antonio Santiago trial, and now we hear about Londyn Samuels. And there are countless other children who are getting murdered or abused every day that we don't hear about. I agree with Mayor Mitch Landrieu ... ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

Londyn's father's Instagram is DATNIGGA_KEE

I just read through it. So heartbreaking - it's so evident he loved his baby girl and that she was the light of his life.

So the gunmen were aiming for the babysitter? I couldn't tell if it were a stray bullet, but it seems it wasn't. I hope the babysitter can help identify them. It's ridiculous that people in the neighborhood are too scared to offer information!!

NOPD reopens LaSalle, interviewing three in connection with death of toddler

http://www.wwltv.com/home/NOPD-curr...related-to-one-year-old-killed-221773821.html

NEW ORLEANS, La. - The New Orleans Police Department has reopened LaSalle Street following a morning SWAT roll in the area that lasted for hours.

Police called in a SWAT Team when they believed suspects wanted for questioning in relation to the murder of 1-year-old Londyn Samuels, may be inside of a residence, in the 2800 block of LaSalle.

The NOPD SWAT team made contact with two adult females and one adult male inside of the home, and is currently in the process of interviewing them...........

Serpas said they don't know if the babysitter and the baby were the target.

More at link......

Cruel irony:

Londyn's mother was working at a non-profit cafe dedicated to anti-violence when the shooting happened.

All my love and light to mom, dad, and the sitter. Good grief. RIP beautiful girl. :cry:

Unfortunately this happens all too often in New Orleans. Since 2012, 4 children have been killed by gunfire
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/08/central_city_violence_takes_ti.html#incart_m-rpt-2

One boy was shot and injured at a birthday party where a 5 year old was shot and killed (Brianna Allen) and then 2 years later, he was injured shot and injured again at a mother's day parade.

The shooting in 2012 that killed the 5 year old girl (Brianna Allen) at a birthday party was hard for police to investigate because apparently it was an uncle at the party who was the intended target but the family refused to speak up because they wanted to handle it themselves. It was gang related. In that case "Members of another gang, the 110'ers street group, were charged earlier this year in connection with Briana's killing. The indictment blamed the gang for 15 murders."

In another incident, Keira Holmes , just days shy of her second birthday, was playing with other children on a patch of grass at the B.W. Cooper public housing complex. Gunmen cruising the block opened fire on Emmett Allen, who was killed by gunfire in the B.W. Cooper housing complex December 18, 2011. When Allen ran into the courtyard where the children were playing, a hail of bullets followed. One struck Keira in the head and killed.

" Earlier this year, an Orleans Parish grand jury handed down a racketeering indictment, charging 18 people with being members of the 3-N-G gang responsible for 10 killings, "including Keira's. At least one of the people charged was a teenager".

2-year-old Jeremy Galmon, shot during a second-line parade on Sept. 26, 2010. Jeremy had been sitting in a parked car with his grandmother, while his mother watched the parade nearby at First and Dryades streets. When gunfire and chaos erupted, Jeremy peeked his head out of the car window and was struck in the cheek.
2 men, cousins Bernell "Benny" Pollard, 24, and Jamiron Pollard, 31, now face an automatic sentence of life in prison after being found guilty in that killing.

I taught in that neighborhood for 5 years as a public school teacher. Many of my students lived in the BW Cooper housing projects where Kiera Holmes was killed. I passed by those projects every day on the way to work.

Gangs, murders and crime have a huge hold in New Orleans. Many people don't want to tell the police what they know, because so many of them have family involved or are doing shady things themselves or are scared of the gangs. Some just prefer just to retaliate themselves with some more shooting rather than letting the police do their jobs.

If police try to patrol the area more to bring a police presence to try and make the neighborhood safer, then many complain that the neighborhood is being profiled. It is such a difficult thing for police to deal with and so many murders happen that they are overloaded.

I had students who slept in the bathtub because it was the safest place in the house when bullets start flying. This is crazy!! It is sad and horrific. This is just the tip of the iceberg unfortunately.

Rev. Al Sharpton challenges New Orleanians to end the violence

NEW ORLEANS -- Rev. Al Sharpton visited New Orleans Sunday. Days after another child was shot to death in Central City and hours before two girls were shot, one fatally, in the Carrollton area early Monday, Sharpton challenged New Orleanians to do better.............

&#8220;We must recapture the same faith and pride and dignity that gave us the strength to rebuild a city underwater,&#8221; Sharpton said. &#8220;Now we must be strong enough to build ourselves from under this whole pervasive lack of regard for human life.&#8221;...........

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Rev-Al-Sh...Orleanians-to-end-the-violence-222065631.html

Rev. Al Sharpton challenges New Orleanians to end the violence

NEW ORLEANS -- Rev. Al Sharpton visited New Orleans Sunday. Days after another child was shot to death in Central City and hours before two girls were shot, one fatally, in the Carrollton area early Monday, Sharpton challenged New Orleanians to do better.............

“We must recapture the same faith and pride and dignity that gave us the strength to rebuild a city underwater,” Sharpton said. “Now we must be strong enough to build ourselves from under this whole pervasive lack of regard for human life.”...........

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Rev-Al-Sh...Orleanians-to-end-the-violence-222065631.html

Now that is a step in the right direction, IMO.

According to the Times-Picayune, the NOPD has taken in a man and a woman for questioning, and are searching for a second man in regard to the shooting.

The city's mayor, Mitch Landrieu, told NBC News that the violence must be quashed. "When a young man kills a child in the arms of an 18-year-old, we have to take it to a new level," he said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...bysitter-arms-article-1.1442341#ixzz2dwecu3Kn

Has a picture from surveillance video but very shadowy.

NEW ORLEANS —New Orleans police announced the arrest of a 24-year-old man in connection with the shooting death of a toddler.

NOPD Superintendent Ronal Serpas said officers arrested 24-year-old Keelen Armstrong in connection with the toddler’s death.

Serpas said Armstong was arrested in a traffic stop. He said Armstrong was speeding, going 80 mph in a 60 mph speed zone.

Londyn Samuels, 1, was killed when she was shot in the 2800 block of South Saratoga Street last week.

Armstrong was also found to be driving under a suspended license. He was arrested on charges of first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder, Serpas said.

Serpas also announced a person of interest in the shooting of two 11-year-old cousins, Arabian Gayles and Paulreiona Cary, and an unidentified 38-year-old man. The three were shot in the 1300 block of General Ogden Street at about 12:15 a.m. on Monday.

Arabian died from her injuries in the shooting.

Police are looking for Keith Ward as a person of interest in that case.

http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news...=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=wdsu

Arabian doesn't have her own thread, but this is good news for all the kids:

http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news...have-crime-cameras-installed/27903182#!bQk7Wl

The tragic murder of an 11-year-old girl in West Carrollton a year ago to date remains unsolved. Arabian Gayles was asleep on a couch when bullets flew through the front door of a family home. Her death touched one New Orleans resident who felt the need to do something in her honor...

Even if witnesses are reluctant to speak to police about crimes happening in the neighborhood, new Project NOLA cameras could help give investigators real-time visual information as they respond to future crimes.

When the shooting happened a year ago, there were only a handful of Project NOLA cameras in West Carrollton. Now there are about 40 and more are on the way thanks to a donation made in Gayles' honor. An anonymous donor who wants to make the Leonidas and West Carrollton neighborhoods safer gave $2,500 to Project NOLA. It will help install 10 new crime camera kits at area homes.

Mom remembers 1-year-old daughter as trial for suspected killers is set to begin

http://www.fox8live.com/story/36703849/mom-remembers-1-year-old-daughter-as-trial-for-suspected-killers-is-set-to-begin

The case is scheduled to go to trial Monday. We spoke with Londyn's mother, who hopes she finally will see justice for her little girl.

"I have to stay strong for my two other kids," she said.

Police arrested Darnell Ramee and Keelen Armstrong for murder and attempted murder. Londyn's mother hopes they spend the rest of their lives in prison.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back