NY - Woman offers stamp collection to pay for husband's murder, 2013

Middle-aged Manhattan housewife arrested in murder-for-hire plot 'after offering hit man $60,000 worth of rare stamps to run over her husband with a car'

Elena Sava Adams, 57, was arrested in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, after meeting with undercover officer

Irving Adams, 66, worked as bank executive at Israel Discount Bank of New York until he was fired five years ago

Prosecutors say Mrs Adams planned to collect husband's insurance policy after his murder

Couple lived in the same building in Battery Park City as Police Commissioner Ray Kelly

Neighbors described the Adamses as odd, saying they lived on donuts and pizza but would often go on ski vacations

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...are-stamps-run-husband-car.html#ixzz2dfW3kt95

Stamps???? You'd think she would have sold them and offered cash. Luckily she didn't!

I may be one of the few WS members who is a serious stamp collector so this intrigues me. I wonder how she arrived at that value- it may well be a valuable collection but I have seen too many collections with high value placed on them that weren't worth a tenth of what the owner thought.
There is probably a warning here for philatelic husbands- don't neglect your spouse for your collection or it may wind up being the death of you!

Why pay in stamps? :waitasec: :crazy:

Why pay in stamps? :waitasec: :crazy:

My guesses, one or more of the following:
1. Woman could falsely inflate collection's value to $60,000, instead of giving a lower, more accurate value,
which might not have been sufficient incentive for hitman to accept the job.
2. Assuming she had assets in bank, credit union, or brokerage a/c to pay hitman, by using stamps as payment,
woman could avoid creating a very easily traceable paper trail a sale or withdrawal from an a/c would leave.
3. If she had sold some or all collection to a dealer or individual to make pre-or-after-death payment,
her sale of stamps would have involved a third party, someone other than her and hitman,
and likely would have created a paper trail, such as a check.
4. She resented husband spending money on the collection (assuming he did not inherit it, etc.
Or if he inherited it, perhaps she wanted him to sell, but he refused.).
5. The stamps were the only assets of substantial value that she and husband had.

Just guesses. :seeya:

My guesses, one or more of the following:
1. Woman could falsely inflate collection's value to $60,000, instead of giving a lower, more accurate value,
which might not have been sufficient incentive for hitman to accept the job.
2. Assuming she had assets in bank, credit union, or brokerage a/c to pay hitman, by using stamps as payment,
woman could avoid creating a very easily traceable paper trail a sale or withdrawal from an a/c would leave.
3. If she had sold some or all collection to a dealer or individual to make pre-or-after-death payment,
her sale of stamps would have involved a third party, someone other than her and hitman,
and likely would have created a paper trail, such as a check.
4. She resented husband spending money on the collection (assuming he did not inherit it, etc.
Or if he inherited it, perhaps she wanted him to sell, but he refused.).
5. The stamps were the only assets of substantial value that she and husband had.

Just guesses. :seeya:

Interesting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff