831 users online (127 members and 704 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

CA - Todd Chance, 45, Bakersfield, 25 Aug 2013

Leslie Jenea Chance, 46, a principal at Bakersfield's Fairview Elementary, was arrested Thursday after police say she shot her husband of 17 years and dumped his body. Todd Chance, 45, was found Aug. 25 near an almond orchard in Bakersfield with multiple gunshot wounds.

The Chances have two daughters and Todd helped raise Leslie's daughter, 23-year-old Jessica Bullman, from a previous marriage.

"He was the best guy, the best husband, the best dad. He's been in my life since I was 4. He was my dad and he was everything," Bullman told The Bakersfield Californian newspaper.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/california-...ry?id=20140054
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

Charges Delayed Against Principal Accused Of Killing Husband

The murder just happened on Sunday.

But, the Sheriff's Department said it has a mound of evidence against her.

"We are certain that the person responsible for shooting Mr. Chance is his wife Leslie Chance," said Ray Pruitt, Kern County Sheriff's Department spokesman.

Sheriff's deputies say it all started Sunday. Todd Chance left the couple's home around 7:30 a.m., investigators said.

Two hours later, farm workers found his body in an almond orchard with several gunshot wounds, about 15 miles from the Chance's house. Deputies said they believed Todd Chance was shot in the field.

http://www.bako.com/bakersfield-news...-Husband/29002
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

i've heard a few reports about this case on varying news channels. one reporter was speaking to folks outside of the school this woman was principal of. the shock and disbelief struck me as much deeper than it has in other cases.

that said, it seems they have quite a bit of evidence already and firmly believe they've got the right person. i'm impressed the case has been sent back for further investigation though. best to make sure they've got this right, and especially given how many children this will have an impact on!

never can tell what goes on behind closed doors, that's for sure! sad case. aren't they all?
    Last edited by doubt; 09-03-2013 at 06:57 PM. Reason: forgot to reference second article

Blue_Dolphin308 is offline We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone!
    She has been released and not charged. As per HLN right now!
    Be Kind to yourself, you are worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Dolphin308 View Post
    She has been released and not charged. As per HLN right now!
    http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/commun...?m=y&smobile=y

D-I-V-O-R-C-E better than killing. Sometimes. LOL!

Wowsers???!!! mounds of evidence and then by all appearances not enough Don't see this happen often.
    All posts are my opinion only unless supported by a link
    Keep calm and carry on
    "Your out of your tree" "It's not my tree"
    #finddani

Well which is it? Can't have it both ways...if they really have so much evidence and they had her there at the station they should have detained her. Can't they detain without charges for 48 hours? I'm pretty sure they can if there is sufficient reason to suspect her.

I can only conclude that their evidence is not as plentiful as was first described. That's strange, since the car should have blood everywhere. There should be tire tracks and gunshot residue, blow-back spatter and cell phone pings to show who was there.

MOO

IMO they don't have enough to satisfy the charge right now. Doesn't mean it wont come. Perhaps awaiting on some testing. Perhaps the Sheriff's office spoke when they should have kept it quiet. Once charged the clock begins. Tick Tock. IMO.
    Keep calm and carry on
    #finddani

Weird case so far? Usually LE says too little, not too much.
    “Evil begins when you begin to treat people as things.” -- Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    Wowsers???!!! mounds of evidence and then by all appearances not enough Don't see this happen often.
    The DA is playing it safe. She is a respected member of the community so they have to get this right.

But imo, she is the one. Sometimes the ones we least expect can do something like this. Heck we have seen esteemed lawyers, timid rocket scientists, and doctors commit murder before and everyone that knew them were shocked beyond belief.

LE even says they have the murder weapon. I believe they probably found it in her possession. Also I thought I read somewhere yesterday that there is video footage along the route she supposedly took when she went to abandon his vehicle.

It reminds me sadly of when my hubby's co-worker was murdered about three years back. I put the thread up here when it happened. Anyway he was a wonderful, kind man, and great loving father. His wife shot him 7 times, 6 times in the back and once in the head when he was leaving for work one morning. It happened in their front yard.

He had filed for divorce and the Judge granted him custody of their 13 year old daughter. She shot him two days before their divorce would have been finalized. She claimed self defense and the jury believed her lies so much they gave her LWOP. In fact her own children testified against her and said SHE was the one who was abusive to them and to their father and that was why he wanted a divorce so that he and his children could live in peace.

So I am not shocked that others think she is incapable of this. I cant count the times when I have heard that very same thing said about murderers before.

IMO
    Last edited by oceanblueeyes; 09-04-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanblueeyes View Post
    The DA is playing it safe. She is a respected member of the community so they have to get this right.

But imo, she is the one. Sometimes the ones we least expect can do something like this. Heck we have seen esteemed lawyers, timid rocket scientists, and doctors commit murder before and everyone that knew them were shocked beyond belief.

LE even says they have the murder weapon. I believe they probably found it in her possession. Also I thought I read somewhere yesterday that there is video footage along the route she supposedly took when she went to abandon his vehicle.

It reminds me sadly of when my hubby's co-worker was murdered about three years back. I put the thread up here when it happened. Anyway he was a wonderful, kind man, and great loving father. His wife shot him 7 times, 6 times in the back and once in the head when he was leaving for work one morning. It happened in their front yard.

He had filed for divorce and the Judge granted him custody of their 13 year old daughter. She shot him two days before their divorce would have been finalized. She claimed self defense and the jury believed her lies so much they gave her LWOP. In fact her own children testified against her and said SHE was the one who was abusive to them and to their father and that was why he wanted a divorce so that he and his children could live in peace.

So I am not shocked that others think she is incapable of this. I cant count the times when I have heard that very same thing said about murderers before.

IMO
    Agree. So very sorry about your Husbands co-worker. Seems a different dynamic enters when a woman is the perp. Good to see ya Ocean
    Keep calm and carry on
    #finddani

Interesting case...

I feel so sorry for the daughters....
    Last edited by IHAVENOCLUE; 09-04-2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Daughters... Not daughter...

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    Agree. So very sorry about your Husbands co-worker. Seems a different dynamic enters when a woman is the perp. Good to see ya Ocean
    Thank you. It is always great to see you too Bravo!

Something was going on behind the scene I think that will come out later.

Who knows what the motive may have been. I guess we will have to wait and see if more info comes forward.

The eye witness said the woman abandoned the car around 9 Sunday morning. He was found shortly after then so I wonder if when police arrived she was still wearing a baseball cap?

The Chance home in the southwest is about 11 miles from where the body was found. The car was later spotted abandoned about 15 miles away, near Tigerflower Drive and Wheatland Avenue. That's where a neighbor said she saw a woman get out of the black Mustang, and just walk away.

"When she parked the car and just left it, I figured it was a stolen vehicle," the neighbor there said. She didn't want to be identified, but told Eyewitness News the The neighbor described the woman from the car as about 5-foot-6 and 145 pounds, with brown hair tucked up into a baseball cap. The neighbor said it was about 9 on Sunday morning.

The sheriff's spokesman said investigators think it was Jenea Chance who left her husband's car in that neighborhood. The woman fumbled in the car for a couple minutes and then started walking.

http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/l...221875311.html

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast