885 users online (131 members and 754 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Military strikes on Syria - Yes or No ?

I am conducting a review/report of public opinion both sides of the Atlantic (and worldwide) concerning the possible military strikes on Syria proposed by the U.S.government. Of course congress may vote against the motion but this may not prevent intervention. I would appreciate any comments on whether you are for or against military strikes and a brief summary as to your reasons.

Many thanks, Ellie

Absolutely not in favor.

That said, my heart is with the Syrian people, and wishing them peace and strength. May peace prevail there, and all over the world, please.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

What she said ^.

thepinkdragon is offline Verified US Army Veteran/Certified Veteran's Mental Health & PTSD Advocate
    We are a military family. I'm a veteran and my husband is Active Duty Army. We want no part in the civil war going on in Syria. Many military members are against action from U.S. Forces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No involvement. Miltary is spread too thin already, and we have too many issues here to deal with. We should have received payment via oil for the last two...enough is enough

Something should be done about the use of chemical weapons. idk what
    But other wise I feel that it is a civil war and that outsiders should not get involved in.

jmo
    It's my opinion if no link provided.

Misspellings due to fat fingers

Words matter.

You don't know what you don't know.

I have a son in the Army. I'm not in favor whatsoever!
    #prayfororlando
    #orlandostrong

Obama's doing exactly the right thing for now in taking this to Congress and working toward consensus. No matter the danger England faced in the Second War Churchill presented matters as they occurred, as often as possible, in Commons and the matter was debated there.

boots on the ground, no. I'm still undecided about but heavily leaning toward supporting missile strikes

I realize that the US is not the world's policeman, but too many times we have looked back at events and asked "why did the world stand by and let _ _ _ _ happen?"
    ~ VICE journalist Tim Pool
    Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me alone.

i live in canada but am getting most of my info from australia, seems the most straight foreward i can find
    http://www.news.com.au/world-news/us...-1226710644639

http://www.news.com.au/world-news/sy...-1226710212595

so no, my basic understanding is, if a strike is aimed at Assad it will give power to Al-Qaeda, which does not seem like a good idea.
    the chemicals have been used, if the usa go in with no boots on the ground, the usa will just stir up anger, and i believe they would be more likely to use the chemical again just to prove a point.
    Assad is baiting - do not go for the bait -the usa (no disrespect) are not the world police. and if civil war erupted in the usa - would the usa take kindly to outsiders coming in and picking sides?
    Supporting the those that are fleeing, and helping those that want to flee but cannot(the poor) would be helpful, leave the militants on both sides to fight it out between themselves. jmo moo

When civil war was about to break out in Sierra Leone a few years back due to a military coup, who sent their army in to sort it out? Britain, because they used to own the place. When Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands, who sent their army in to sort it out? Britain because they still do own the place.

France is the former colonial power here, if there's any outside intervention to be done its France's job.

I say no. If the rest of the world is willing, as usual, to sit around and watch people be gassed and do nothing about it but talk, why should we spend our money and stick our necks out? It can only hurt us.

I can't understand why the U.N. even bothers to have chemical-weapons inspectors. What's the point? No one is willing to back up a ban with anything effective. "Oooooo, Outrage. Scary."

That's just the way the world is these days, and thinking we can bring about justice or stand up for principles by ourselves is not working for us or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by gramcracker View Post
    boots on the ground, no. I'm still undecided about but heavily leaning toward supporting missile strikes

I realize that the US is not the world's policeman, but too many times we have looked back at events and asked "why did the world stand by and let _ _ _ _ happen?"
    This is what worries me. Are we seeing another Holocaust here?
    If we are... do we just sit back and let it happen?
    If this was happening in the USA would we want people to come in and help us?

I don't know. I'm totally torn.
    I really just wish that we had no need for a military to begin with.

we must take action. it's not a matter of liking it, or wanting to. it's a matter of doing what is right.

we attacked iraq merely bc it was possible that wmds were present. syria not only has wmds, they are letting them loose on innocent people. in recent weeks alone, over 400 children have been gassed to death.

this is wholly unacceptable. at first, i was completely against the idea of military action. however, i decided to actually educate myself and once i took the time to do so, it became clear to me that president obama and john kerry are exactly right. we have a moral responsibility to act.

i believe that americans will get behind this as they come to understand it better. it is necessary. we must act. i believe congress will come through with the vote although the duplicity at the core of right-wing hawks suddenly pretending to be peace loving, make-love-not-war hippie types is nauseating. the games are unceasing even in the midst of the most serious of times. further, i find it unacceptable that most members of congress are refusing to cut their vacations short and return to washington post haste. it speaks volumes to me.

in the end, i believe we will go in and it will have been the right thing to do. after all, the old quote, often attributed to mlk jr, is true. ''The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict.''

moo

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...ke-resolution/

The Senate Foreign Relations Committee voted 10-7, with one senator voting present, to approve a military strike in response to a deadly chemical weapons attack last month. The full Senate is expected to vote on the measure next week.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast