Military strikes on Syria - Yes or No ?

ellie b

Reaction score
I am conducting a review/report of public opinion both sides of the Atlantic (and worldwide) concerning the possible military strikes on Syria proposed by the U.S.government. Of course congress may vote against the motion but this may not prevent intervention. I would appreciate any comments on whether you are for or against military strikes and a brief summary as to your reasons.

Many thanks, Ellie

Absolutely not in favor.

That said, my heart is with the Syrian people, and wishing them peace and strength. May peace prevail there, and all over the world, please. :please: :(

We are a military family. I'm a veteran and my husband is Active Duty Army. We want no part in the civil war going on in Syria. Many military members are against action from U.S. Forces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No involvement. Miltary is spread too thin already, and we have too many issues here to deal with. We should have received payment via oil for the last two...enough is enough

Something should be done about the use of chemical weapons. idk what
But other wise I feel that it is a civil war and that outsiders should not get involved in.

jmo

I have a son in the Army. I'm not in favor whatsoever!

Obama's doing exactly the right thing for now in taking this to Congress and working toward consensus. No matter the danger England faced in the Second War Churchill presented matters as they occurred, as often as possible, in Commons and the matter was debated there.

boots on the ground, no. I'm still undecided about but heavily leaning toward supporting missile strikes

I realize that the US is not the world's policeman, but too many times we have looked back at events and asked "why did the world stand by and let _ _ _ _ happen?"

i live in canada but am getting most of my info from australia, seems the most straight foreward i can find
http://www.news.com.au/world-news/u...to-syria-strikes/story-fndir2ev-1226710644639

http://www.news.com.au/world-news/s...ranian-influence/story-fndir2ev-1226710212595

so no, my basic understanding is, if a strike is aimed at Assad it will give power to Al-Qaeda, which does not seem like a good idea.
the chemicals have been used, if the usa go in with no boots on the ground, the usa will just stir up anger, and i believe they would be more likely to use the chemical again just to prove a point.
Assad is baiting - do not go for the bait -the usa (no disrespect) are not the world police. and if civil war erupted in the usa - would the usa take kindly to outsiders coming in and picking sides?
Supporting the those that are fleeing, and helping those that want to flee but cannot(the poor) would be helpful, leave the militants on both sides to fight it out between themselves. jmo moo

When civil war was about to break out in Sierra Leone a few years back due to a military coup, who sent their army in to sort it out? Britain, because they used to own the place. When Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands, who sent their army in to sort it out? Britain because they still do own the place.

France is the former colonial power here, if there's any outside intervention to be done its France's job.

I say no. If the rest of the world is willing, as usual, to sit around and watch people be gassed and do nothing about it but talk, why should we spend our money and stick our necks out? It can only hurt us.

I can't understand why the U.N. even bothers to have chemical-weapons inspectors. What's the point? No one is willing to back up a ban with anything effective. "Oooooo, Outrage. Scary."

That's just the way the world is these days, and thinking we can bring about justice or stand up for principles by ourselves is not working for us or anyone else.

boots on the ground, no. I'm still undecided about but heavily leaning toward supporting missile strikes

I realize that the US is not the world's policeman, but too many times we have looked back at events and asked "why did the world stand by and let _ _ _ _ happen?"

This is what worries me. Are we seeing another Holocaust here?
If we are... do we just sit back and let it happen?
If this was happening in the USA would we want people to come in and help us?

I don't know. I'm totally torn.
I really just wish that we had no need for a military to begin with. :please:

we must take action. it's not a matter of liking it, or wanting to. it's a matter of doing what is right.

we attacked iraq merely bc it was possible that wmds were present. syria not only has wmds, they are letting them loose on innocent people. in recent weeks alone, over 400 children have been gassed to death.

this is wholly unacceptable. at first, i was completely against the idea of military action. however, i decided to actually educate myself and once i took the time to do so, it became clear to me that president obama and john kerry are exactly right. we have a moral responsibility to act.

i believe that americans will get behind this as they come to understand it better. it is necessary. we must act. i believe congress will come through with the vote although the duplicity at the core of right-wing hawks suddenly pretending to be peace loving, make-love-not-war hippie types is nauseating. the games are unceasing even in the midst of the most serious of times. further, i find it unacceptable that most members of congress are refusing to cut their vacations short and return to washington post haste. it speaks volumes to me.

in the end, i believe we will go in and it will have been the right thing to do. after all, the old quote, often attributed to mlk jr, is true. ''The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict.''

moo

Thanks to everyone who has commented so far, the research has been very interesting.

Here's an interesting response, from i) a guy who is not a politician but ii) is one of my favorite baseball bloggers, who iii) is a first generation Syrian-American who was born and raised in Wichita, and is now a practicing dermatologist just outside Chicago.

It's near the bottom of his blog after the baseball stuff.

http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2013/08/five-for-friday-83013.html

Excerpt:
One of the great tragedies of the Iraq War, in my opinion, is that we as Americans are no longer as willing to acknowledge that true evil does exist in the world, and true evil can not be eliminated by diplomacy or political maneuvering. The Assad family is basically a mafia family in charge of an entire country, only with less morals. They are responsible for the fact that I’m writing to you about baseball, in English, from America: their oppression of the Syrian people is responsible for the mass emigration of a Syrian diaspora of literally millions of people over the last 40+ years, including my parents, who had no intention of permanently settling in America when they arrived for my father to perform his medical residency in 1970, and who then had no intention of ever raising their children in Syria after they returned to see what had become of the country by 1977.

It's a heart rending situation, and the column by Rany is persuasive. Add to that the fact that our hands are so dirty in the Middle East, for going on a century now, that its very tempting to say yes, we should do something.

But I do not think a better outcome would result from intervention. And I still believe, with all my heart, echoing the late Pope John Paul II, that war is always, always a defeat for humanity.

We have brains capable of sending people into space for months, and exploring Mars. I cannot believe that we have no brains capable of developing a non-violent solution to what is going on in Syria. :sigh:

Wars are not about morals (morals basically come from religious beliefs) wars are about money and power.
Look at gang warfare in any country, or racial tensions, what country can control their own little wars. i'm not seeing to much success.
Who did the chemical thing - do we know for really sure who made that decision?

Empathy - what do the people of Syria want - its easy to be across the water and make judgement - it the regular folks that will live and die because of a moral attack. jmo moo

we have brains capable of sending people into space for months, and exploring mars. I cannot believe that we have no brains capable of developing a non-violent solution to what is going on in syria. :sigh:

sbm: This this this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back