Where to house homeless sex offenders: at the DA's house

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Neighbors of Polk County District Attorney John Fisher think they have the perfect location for the county to house homeless sex offenders: somewhere else.

Some residents of Greening Drive in Dallas were stunned this week when Fisher made a proposal to house recently released sex offenders in his home for one to two months at a time. The idea was not greeted with much support.

Although they admire Fisher's willingness to be part of the solution, they think there must be more appropriate areas in the county to house people recently released from prison.

"I respect that he's stepping up," said neighbor Linda Hatley. "But I don't want them in my neighborhood."

A home that provides child day care and a group home for people with developmental disabilities already are in the neighborhood.

Hatley and others think that when Fisher is away from the home, residents will be especially vulnerable. Homeowners are also concerned about the values of their homes declining with the publicity of Fisher's offer.

The state Department of Corrections has given the county until July 1 to find housing for sex offenders who have no where else to stay in the county. Polk County currently houses its homeless offenders at Union Gospel Mission in Salem, which is in Marion County.

Polk County commissioner Ron Dodge said he opposes Fisher's offer because it may cause more problems than it solves, and it may be a conflict of interest.

"I don't see how his office can send someone away to the state penitentiary and come back and stay in his house," he said. "To me its a clear conflict."

In making the proposal, Fisher said he would not pursue the plan without the support of local law enforcement and the county's board of commissioners.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050408/NEWS/504080339

Personally I think it would be more appropriate to house them at their defense attorney's house. They might be more cautious how they defend people.

Isn't there some remote islands that could be made home to these guys? I know, send them all to Antarctica.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back