1123 users online (180 members and 943 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Germany - Prosecutors recommend Auschwitz guard charges

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...z_guard_inv-ap

LUDWIGSBURG, Germany (AP) — The German special prosecutors' office that investigates Nazi war crimes said Tuesday it is recommending charges against dozens of alleged former Auschwitz guards, opening the possibility of a new wave of trials almost 70 years after the end of World War II.

Federal prosecutor Kurt Schrimm, the head of the office in Ludwigsburg, said an investigation of 49 suspects turned up enough evidence to recommend that state prosecutors pursue charges of accessory to murder against 30 people in Germany who were stationed at the death camp in Nazi-occupied Poland..........

Efraim Zuroff, the top Nazi hunter at the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Jerusalem, said the decision could mean even more cases will be opened against guards at the other five main death camps established by the Nazis........

"It's only a shame that this kind of legal reasoning was not applied previously, because it would have led to many, many more cases of people who definitely deserved to be brought to justice."............

Much more in 3p. article

Most of the ones to be prosecuted are now in their 80s and 90s. I'm not sure how I feel about this, this 'late in the day'. At this point is it justice, revenge or what?

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

I'm not sure either. Anyone still alive would have had to have been very young at the time, and therefore low down in the chain of command.

It surprises me that there is still a Nazi War Crimes division after all this time. My first thought is why? But then I think about all those people who went through the camps and all the people who now don't believe that it ever happened and realize the memories must be kept alive so something like this does not happen again.

I just did a google search on the death camps and am now sick again about this part of history. It must be kept alive so it is not repeated.
    "Sarcasm"... my super-power!

I agree with that, but I don't know if this is the best way to keep it alive. A bit conflicted on the issue really.

From the OP link, one of the reasons given for pursuing these cases:

As part of the investigation prosecutors surveyed anew the Auschwitz-Birkenau camp and concluded no one could have been there for more than a day or two without learning that people were being gassed to death and their bodies incinerated at the site, he said.

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

I don't doubt that they knew about it, but what were they supposed to do about it? The Third Reich was a totalitarian regime, any junior officer, or even senior officer, who went against them would have been put right into the gas chambers too.

I don't think people in their 80s and 90s were spared from the gas chambers. If the suspects were involved, they should face justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Perodicticus potto View Post
    I don't think people in their 80s and 90s were spared from the gas chambers. If the suspects were involved, they should face justice.
    .............................................^^^^^^^^^^^ this +1

Quote Originally Posted by Cappuccino View Post
    I don't doubt that they knew about it, but what were they supposed to do about it? The Third Reich was a totalitarian regime, any junior officer, or even senior officer, who went against them would have been put right into the gas chambers too.
    From what I understand, officers who objected to working in a camp were not required to do so. Their careers might have suffered, but they would not have faced imprisonment or death.

Sadly, a lot of the people involved in Nazi crimes turned out not to need coercion.

ETA link with more information on this:

http://www.yadvashem.org/download/ab...s/aly_full.pdf
    Last edited by Perodicticus potto; 09-04-2013 at 05:26 PM.

There are still a few living survivors, who suffered the unimaginable horrors of the camps, too. I have known a few of them, in my life. Heard their stories. Seen their tattoos. Two had lost their entire family. Every member, but for themselves, was murdered.

I think they deserve to witness any shred of justice that can be handed to the men - and women- who participated in the cause of that suffering.

Holocaust deniers need some kind of professional help.. It's like saying electricity was never harnessed, in a room lit by a lightbulb. The hatred scares me slightly less than the rampant stupidity, and moreso the deliberate ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cappuccino View Post
    Kinda makes me wonder how all of US/you and me, will be judged in the years to come, even though we hate invasion and war. WE have no power.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausgirl View Post
    There are still a few living survivors, who suffered the unimaginable horrors of the camps, too. I have known a few of them, in my life. Heard their stories. Seen their tattoos. Two had lost their entire family. Every member, but for themselves, was murdered.

I think they deserve to witness any shred of justice that can be handed to the men - and women- who participated in the cause of that suffering.

Holocaust deniers need some kind of professional help.. It's like saying electricity was never harnessed, in a room lit by a lightbulb. The hatred scares me slightly less than the rampant stupidity, and moreso the deliberate ignorance.
    WOW, just wow, and I was worried about a war in the middle east.

I really don't know what your point is there, Trident. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausgirl View Post
    I really don't know what your point is there, Trident. Sorry.
    So am I.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Kinda makes me wonder how all of US/you and me, will be judged in the years to come, even though we hate invasion and war. WE have no power.
    Not sure what point you're trying to make here, I'm afraid. You're surely not comparing the lack of power any individual has to change things single handedly in a democracy with the experience of living under a totalitarian regime?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast