A convicted sex offender who was out on parole is back behind bars, accused of molesting a nine-year-old Fredericksburg girl.

Tosha Watkins says she didn't know 43-year old David Sykes should not be anywhere near children because of past convictions. But Watkins says Sykes was baby-sitting for her when he inappropriately touched her daughter.

Police say Sykes worked as a housekeeper at Payne's Motel on Princess Anne Street, and lived in one of the rooms a few doors down from Tosha Watkins and her three children.

"I trusted him with my children," Watkins told NBC12.

Watkins says that trust was broken early Tuesday morning when she let Sykes watch her daughter and two sons while she and her fiancé went to the store just before 3:00 am.

They were gone 30 minutes.

"When I walked in, he was sitting on the bed with my daughter and he said she had woken up wondering where I was. But my daughter don't wake up at 2 o'clock in the morning."

Watkins says her daughter told her Sykes put his hands inside her pants.

"I asked him to leave, and when he left, I asked her if he had touched her. And she said yes."

Sykes was arrested a couple hours later while walking along Route 1, not far from the motel.

Watkins is now getting counseling for her daughter.

"I just tell her that I love her and that it's not her fault,” she says. “I explain to her that it's not her fault that there's some people out here that are sick."

According to Virginia's sex offender registry, David Sykes was one of four convicted registered sex offenders living at that motel. He'd been previously convicted of two counts of aggravated sexual battery in 1993.

Sykes is currently locked up at the Rappahannock Regional Jail without bond.

http://www.wwbt.com/servlet/Satellit...=1031782035816