wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
from unsolved-murders.co.uk:

Lucy Tinslop

Sex: female

Date: 4 Aug 1969

Place: Nottingham, Nottinghamshire

Murdered on 4 August in St Mary's Rest Garden on Bath Street, Nottingham. Became known locally as the 'Birthday Girl Murder' as it took place on the victim's 21st birthday. She left home after a birthday party at her parents' house. Screams were heard coming from the rest garden. Lucy's body was found strangled. She had been raped and her killer had ripped her abdomen open and stabbed her vagina over 20 times. Some speculate that the killer was Arnold Booth, a resident of Sneinton in Nottinghamshire, though it is unclear whether any evidence exists to link Booth to Lucy's murder. In 1977 Booth was sentenced to life imprisonment having been convicted of the murder of Renee Howard.

Sneinton, Nottingham. (Wiki)

I can find very little even on the murder Arnold Booth was convicted of committing, in 1977. And the Tinslop killing was eight years before.

Good god what a horrific crime. She must have suffered so much. So sad that nobody went to find the person they heard screaming :(

I hope maybe her spirit moved on before her body died... since her survival was hopeless. I HOPE the man they imprisoned (for a different murder) is indeed the guilty party because at least he is in prison.

If someone is too scared to investigate screaming themselves, why can't they at least pick up the phone and call the police?

I hope maybe her spirit moved on before her body died... since her survival was hopeless. I HOPE the man they imprisoned (for a different murder) is indeed the guilty party because at least he is in prison.

If someone is too scared to investigate screaming themselves, why can't they at least pick up the phone and call the police?

It's the old 'don't want to get involved' scenario again.

You know, it did just now occur to me that maybe the person who heard the screaming did not have a telephone. By 1969, I would think most people have phones... but it is possible this person did not. So, I guess if that is the case, I can understand why they didn't call the police.

I am ashamed that Nottm Police lost the Pathology report, they may well suspect or know that Booth did the murder but It's open until it's gone to court.
1969 is not 1869, what the hell did they do with it ? Who will fight for this girl ? I can't find one family member in the Notts area never mind UK.
Some 21st Birthday present
:(

I tried looking for info about Lucy and got the same brief write up a few times, some irrelevant posts, and a lot of outright garbage. She's been attributed to this Booth guy (though everyone notes there may be no evidence) and written off since he's in prison.

The thing is, did he actually kill her? Did he know her? This crime seems like the murderer knew her and was very mad at her (wrongfully, I am sure... and probably over something trivial). I wonder if someone did not receive an invitation to her party... maybe someone she never thought would even expect to be invited. Or maybe someone she didn't think would want to attend.

Do we even know why she was out that night? Where was she going? Why was she going (as in was it planned, did someone call, did she just decide to go for a walk)?

I tried to find Lucy's family on ancestry but didn't have any luck. Maybe Booth was a relative and could well have been at the party IDK. There's nothing available to go on :(

i find it very strange that there is limited information on lucys death and even her existence,considering what a terribly sadistic murder this was

I know a lot of local Police Forces dumped information when they digitized their records - I was recently using the FOI request service while researching the possibility of their being more Yorkshire Ripper victims (Tinslop is a possible IMO) and the lack of available information from the 60's and 70's is shocking.

Well I'm stumped on this one. I can't find anyone on Google or Bing with the surname "Tinslop" bar Lucy. No births or deaths on the UK BMD database. No one on Ancestry.

Was the name incorrectly reported..if so, maybe the FOI search was barking up the wrong tree...and maybe the police file does still exist (long shot)

I can't find the surname referenced on the British Newspaper Archive either, although I believe the Notts papers only run up to 1950 on the archive.

What's going on?

Other than one or two articles, I can't find any evidence to even say a girl named Lucy Tinslop was murdered. I even searched for terms like "Birthday Girl Murder" (What the case is allegedly locally known as) and "murder" "Nottingham" and nothing. I looked through newspaper reports on the days after the murder and nothing. I can only find one Tinslop in Ancestry, and it's in Essex.

I have no evidence to claim this case existed, but I doubt it didn't happen, as Lucy's considered a possible victim of Peter Sutcliffe, but I find it strange that it went unreported and no records exist. I wonder where the authors of Yorkshire Ripper: The Secret Murders got their information from.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back