NC - Girl, 11, kills her teenage stepfather in accident with gun bought hours earlier

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Girl, 11, accidentally kills teenage stepfather with gun he'd bought just hours earlier. (Daily Mail)
---
Bryan Reno allowed the young girl to handle the .380-caliber handgun having taken the precaution of removing the magazine.

But police said he had failed to check the chamber and when the girl pulled the trigger he was shot in the chest.

Police in Cleveland County, North Carolina, ruled the shooting accidental. The incident took place just outside the town of Mooresboro.
---
more, with pictures, at the link

Another responsible gun owner....

This is likely another ILLEGAL gun purchase.

It is ILLEGAL for FFL Dealers to sell handguns to those under 21, that is a federal law that applies to all states so this kid didn't buy it at a gun store.

In NC they can be sold between private parties but there are supposedly some weird "Handgun Purchase Permits" required, which is issued by the sheriff if the buyer is under 21, or possibly for all private gun transactions.

I am betting this transaction was NOT completely legal. But hey who cares, let's blame it on the LEGAL gun buyers and owners.

Sounds like the 35 y/o wife was parenting not only her 11 y/o daughter but her 19 y/o husband. Clearly he wasn't too bright. jmo Paying this mom gets her daughter lots of counseling.

This is likely another ILLEGAL gun purchase.

It is ILLEGAL for FFL Dealers to sell handguns to those under 21, that is a federal law that applies to all states so this kid didn't buy it at a gun store.

In NC they can be sold between private parties but there are supposedly some weird "Handgun Purchase Permits" required, which is issued by the sheriff if the buyer is under 21, or possibly for all private gun transactions.

I am betting this transaction was NOT completely legal. But hey who cares, let's blame it on the LEGAL gun buyers and owners.

No, I'm blaming this event on this gun owner.

But all we need do is take a stroll through the various forums here to see how many legally purchased guns by 'responsible gun owners' are also involved in similar accidents.

I don't think this girl's loved ones care very much whether the gun was purchased legally or illegally - dead is dead.

No, I'm blaming this event on this gun owner.

But all we need do is take a stroll through the various forums here to see how many legally purchased guns by 'responsible gun owners' are also involved in similar accidents.

I don't think this girl's loved ones care very much whether the gun was purchased legally or illegally - dead is dead.

I'd venture to say nobody cared that much about this little girl at all anyway. They brought a gun into her home. :banghead:

In many ways, a teenage stepfather of an eleven year old girl is just as harmful as a loaded gun. This situation was a recipe for a miserable life for that poor girl.

MOO

I'd venture to say nobody cared that much about this little girl at all anyway. They brought a gun into her home. :banghead:

But guns don't kill people......or so I keep hearing. Of course dead people aren't real vocal......

Sounds like the 35 y/o wife was parenting not only her 11 y/o daughter but her 19 y/o husband. Clearly he wasn't too bright. jmo Paying this mom gets her daughter lots of counseling.

Oh wait ... oh my!!! Trying hard not to judge her, failing miserably!!

But guns don't kill people......or so I keep hearing. Of course dead people aren't real vocal......

In this case it was the gun owners utter stupidity that killed him.

Anyone that knows ANYTHING about semi-auto firearms knows the first rule is CLEAR THE CHAMBER before handling, cleaning, dry firing, handing off to someone else to show them etc...

It is a really easy rule to follow. Then even when you are SURE it is 100% empty you still never ever point it at anyone and dry fire. You just don't, ever, for any reason whatsoever.

Those that don't have a lick of common sense seem to have a problem with the simple safety rules. That isn't a "gun problem" that is a "stupidity problem".

In this case it was the gun owners utter stupidity that killed him.

Anyone that knows ANYTHING about semi-auto firearms knows the first rule is CLEAR THE CHAMBER before handling, cleaning, dry firing, handing off to someone else to show them etc...

It is a really easy rule to follow. Then even when you are SURE it is 100% empty you still never ever point it at anyone and dry fire. You just don't, ever, for any reason whatsoever.

Those that don't have a lick of common sense seem to have a problem with the simple safety rules. That isn't a "gun problem" that is a "stupidity problem".

Never let a tragedy go to waste when there are points to be made.

There is so much wrong with this story, I have no idea where to begin. Maybe it was an accident. What kind of crap has this so-called mother dragged into this young girl's life?? Some people cannot think of anybody but themselves, their own needs and wants to the exclusion of everyone else in their life. Disgusting! Hope the young girl is never charged.

I hope mom can put her daughter first rather than blaming her for ending what had to be a pretty short and dysfunctional relationship in the first place. :(

What would a 35 yr old woman, mother of one have in common with a 19 yr old teenager?

I can't say it on here, but that is only thing that comes to mind!

This poor child has probably already lived a life that many of us could not imagine. Now add this accidental shooting and death to it, bless her heart. She is so young to be on this path it appears she may have been dealt. If her mother marries a teenager, what else has this child been exposed to in her 8 short years?

Will the wife be eligible for any type of widows fund?

This sad incident happened two years ago ...

There is so much wrong with this story, I have no idea where to begin. Maybe it was an accident. What kind of crap has this so-called mother dragged into this young girl's life?? Some people cannot think of anybody but themselves, their own needs and wants to the exclusion of everyone else in their life. Disgusting! Hope the young girl is never charged.

This sad incident happened two years ago ...

Looks like wendybtn wants to discus this story even though it's a bit dated.

I don't think that the young girl should be charged with a crime. The idiot who gave her the gun paid the ultimate price.

JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire