America's underground market for re-housing adopted children

Linda7NJ

Reaction score
Online site to give away or get a child:

Thought you’d be interested in this article: Reporter: It’s easy to give away an adoptive child
--
http://www.today.com/video/today/52960469/
Get more from TODAY while on the go. Download it now.

Sent from my iPhone

"It filled a desperate need that social services didn't want to.
Many of the people there adopted children they were ill equipped to parent, many were lied to by agencies and many of the children were serious violent offenders.....services, respite or help of any kind simply wasn't available.

Most of the people willing to take these kids were not able to adopt the conventional way .... The reasons were never made clear.

But desperate people do desperate things to ensure the safety of their other children, preserve their own sanity, or for other reasons."

I posted the above in another earlier thread.

NBC nightly news is doing a segment this evening on "rehoming children" the underground network where it thrives. It's called "Lost Children:When Adoptions Fail"

Thanks. Lots of parents should not be parents. The whole thing is a fright.

So is it legal? I guess the kids have social security numbers and all that....the legal parents just sign over guardianship to the new "adoptive" parents? But technically they aren't being legally re-adopted are they?

This is insane!

"Giving away a child in America can be surprisingly easy. Legal adoptions must be handled through the courts, and prospective parents must be vetted. But there are ways around such oversight. Children can be sent to new families quickly through a basic "power of attorney" document – a notarized statement declaring the child to be in the care of another adult."

http://www.reuters.com/investigates/adoption/#article/part1

There needs to be a safe place to drop off unwanted children. Regardless of the reason without breaking the law. People die when parents are forced to keep a child they can't handle or do not want.

There are lots of pitfalls and lies when it comes to adopting older children.

Kids that get placed without the benefit of home studies can end up in the homes of "collectors" ( like hoarders but with children) or pedophiles. All that's required is a few email conversations and a meeting place.

All IMO

Sometimes getting them out of the house is necessary for everyone's safety.

So is it legal? I guess the kids have social security numbers and all that....the legal parents just sign over guardianship to the new "adoptive" parents? But technically they aren't being legally re-adopted are they?

Sometimes. Sometimes not.

Mandie, extra special thanks for this. They were just talking about this on our local news.

Unbelievable.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2007/12/08/when-adoption-goes-wrong.html

When Sterkel, a nurse, first started working with international adoptees in the early '90s, she didn't see many deeply troubled children. But 10 years ago she adopted two Russian boys whose American parents had given up on them. One of them, a 14-year-old boy, had just been released from a juvenile-detention center after trying to poison his mother. Over time, Sterkel was approached so often about adopting other children that she decided to open her camp. Today it houses 25 to 30 kids from all over the country, and has a waiting list. The overwhelming majority are from Russia, Romania and Bulgaria, but she also has had children from South Korea and Colombia. Some were bullied or raped while institutionalized or were the children of prostitutes, drug addicts or alcoholics. "I have gotten calls from parents who say the child they adopted has killed the family dog, threatened to kill them, and no one will help them," she says.

More at link
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Parenting...s-international-adoptions/t/story?id=10360247

Watched the trailer/promo for this show.

I'm wondering how the 'new parents' overcome the paper-walls, the document obstacles like lack of B/Cert's, etc. -- to register at school, scouts, med treatmts, etc., eventually drivers licenses for the kids, college apps.
Do they forge signatures on doc's or counterfeit the whole doc?

Any School Administrators - or someone familiar w. process - to enlighten us? If Dick & Jane bring child to register for school, and B/Cert. does not reflect their names as parents or guardians, does the school accept just any old Pwr of Atty to register & enroll the child? Would it be a temp. or conditional enrollment? Is there some further ck to verify child's status?

--- Family Law Atty or others familiar w. foster procedures & doc's ---
if Dick & Jane are legit foster parents, wouldn't there be doc's from CPS (DFS, etc.) or a court order?

--- Health Ins carriers - If Dick and/or Jane are employed, at annual ins. enrollment time, can they just scribble in new name on the form and get coverage? IIRC, my co-workers enrolling newborn or new-adoptee had to provide doc's for this. Maybe misrecalling.

--- Health Care Providers -same kind of question.
If Dick & Jane bring child for med. treatment, and have no ins. coverage for the child, what happens at private dr office? At ERs?

Are these kids not getting health care? Not going to school and not properly homeschooled? These poor kids.

I can hardly imagine many people going through the time, effort, and money to adopt a child in U.S. or internationally, then saying the heck with it.
But as another poster above stated, some parents should not be parents.

Scratching my head about this (and showing my appalling ignorance about how institutions deal w. children & parents).

BTW, fraud potential re income tax returns?
When filing their fed income tax returns, do the 'new parents' list the kids SSNs (legit as secured by the first family) and claim them as dependents?
If the first family cont. listing the kids' SSNs & claiming as dependents, etc. When there are duplicate claims w. same SSN for that, for child tax credit, child care tax credit, earned inc. credit, etc, seems like IRS system would kick out exception reports. Maybe there are relatively few duplicate claims or maybe the IRS just ignores those blips on the radar.

Those poor children. :stormingmad:

Watched the trailer/promo for this show.

I'm wondering how the 'new parents' overcome the paper-walls, the document obstacles like lack of B/Cert's, etc. -- to register at school, scouts, med treatmts, etc., eventually drivers licenses for the kids, college apps.
Do they forge signatures on doc's or counterfeit the whole doc?

Any School Administrators - or someone familiar w. process - to enlighten us? If Dick & Jane bring child to register for school, and B/Cert. does not reflect their names as parents or guardians, does the school accept just any old Pwr of Atty to register & enroll the child? Would it be a temp. or conditional enrollment? Is there some further ck to verify child's status?

--- Family Law Atty or others familiar w. foster procedures & doc's ---
if Dick & Jane are legit foster parents, wouldn't there be doc's from CPS (DFS, etc.) or a court order?

--- Health Ins carriers - If Dick and/or Jane are employed, at annual ins. enrollment time, can they just scribble in new name on the form and get coverage? IIRC, my co-workers enrolling newborn or new-adoptee had to provide doc's for this. Maybe misrecalling.

--- Health Care Providers -same kind of question.
If Dick & Jane bring child for med. treatment, and have no ins. coverage for the child, what happens at private dr office? At ERs?

Are these kids not getting health care? Not going to school and not properly homeschooled? These poor kids.

I can hardly imagine many people going through the time, effort, and money to adopt a child in U.S. or internationally, then saying the heck with it.
But as another poster above stated, some parents should not be parents.

Scratching my head about this (and showing my appalling ignorance about how institutions deal w. children & parents).

BTW, fraud potential re income tax returns?
When filing their fed income tax returns, do the 'new parents' list the kids SSNs (legit as secured by the first family) and claim them as dependents?
If the first family cont. listing the kids' SSNs & claiming as dependents, etc. When there are duplicate claims w. same SSN for that, for child tax credit, child care tax credit, earned inc. credit, etc, seems like IRS system would kick out exception reports. Maybe there are relatively few duplicate claims or maybe the IRS just ignores those blips on the radar.

Those poor children. :stormingmad:

I can only speak to children adopted domestically. Many special needs children come with adoption subsidy and IV-E full medical insurance through Medicade. Oftentimes, the original parents would simply cash the checks and forward the money to the new families. All relevant paperwork went with, as well as a notarized guardianship document anyone can draw up and sign. Never heard of a problem enrolling in school. Not sure about taxes. Seemed to be whatever the parties agreed to.

Basically people would place an ad for a child they wanted placed on a e-mail list. ads were very brutally honest and listed all issues and behaviors. Someone would answer the ad and then leave the list to hammer out details. Some kids were placed more than once. Most people were so desperate to be rid of the child, they didn't really care who was willing to take him/her. Oftentimes it was states away or across the country.

Just wanted to add any child over age 5 qualifies for special needs subsidy in most states as does being non white.

http://www.karensadoptionlinks.com/disrupt.html

There are tons all over the Internet. Above is a list of about 10 places to do this.

There is an overwhelming need to do this right. With some sort of oversight and without stigma

Wanted to add.
I'm sure that many of these lists will go back underground for awhile. It happened a few years ago when a abuse case came to light that involved a collector that kept children in cages due to their severe behaviors and questions about how did they get so many children. IIRC there were about 15 kids. All the lists shut down during the investigations. People would simply post a question on an adoption board and get the information via private messaging. All the lists plus new ones popped up about 6 months later.

Looking forward to reading part 2 tomorrow. Incredible story and research that went into this report.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Just checked the above link list...only about three are still working, by Wednesday.... I bet they are all down....till the dust settles.

I've read all the attached links and watched the ABC (ETA: NBC) TV clip, which was only a few minutes. Did I miss a link to a 30 min or 1 hr program? Or is ABC just doing this series in its regular news?

This is just heart breaking.

I have said for many years, even before I became a parent, that sadly, too many people have children as accessories.

This includes bio and adoptive parents and it sucks big time.

Just checked it out. It's accurate but IMO very skewed. Some of these kids are unbelievably violent, like living in a war zone, sexual predators, animal killers, fire setters....there were quite a few no one wanted. I kept in touch with a few of those parents for awhile. But it gets to be too much. Especially when no help is available or advice sufficient. People living with everything locked up, door alarms and deadbolts to ensure no one is murdered while sleeping.

I was given the information and a link to a e-mail list a little over 10 years ago. I would have handed him to anyone. I would have handed him to a man holding a bloody axe at that point. People get so desperate it's hard to imagine.. I was brutally honest in my posting and no one wanted him.

I had contacted and tried desperately for state help and intervention and placement options. Social services in two states, the one in which i reside, and the one i adopted from, offered NOTHING nor did SWAN. I was VERY fortunate as the criminal justice system took care of the problem of "re-homing"

This is by far one of the scariest things I have ever read.

I hope the adoptive parents make sure to thoroughly check out any new people they send the troubled child with, and check up on them to see if they get help. What a terrible position and decision to have to make. Family can usually help family but maybe in these cases maybe it's not possible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back