Police get several tips in 1969 slaying of nun
July 10, 1994|By Robert A. Erlandson and Joe Nawrozki | Robert A. Erlandson and Joe Nawrozki,Sun Staff Writers

Four days after Sister Catherine disappeared, Joyce Helen Malecki, 20, of Lansdowne, vanished on a Christmas shopping trip in Glen Burnie. On Nov. 13, 1969, two hunters found her body in the Soldier Park training area of Fort Meade. Her hands had been tied behind her back, and she had been choked and stabbed in the throat.
Baltimore County police and FBI agents conferred last week to determine whether they could find similarities between the two unsolved slayings. They plan to continue meeting as the investigations proceed. The Malecki killing came under FBI jurisdiction because Fort Meade is a federal reservation.
1969 slayings of 2 women forge police-FBI liaison
July 01, 1994|
By Robert A. Erlandson and Joe Nawrozki | Robert A. Erlandson and Joe Nawrozki, Sun Staff Writers
Miss Malecki's body was discovered Nov. 13, 1969, at Fort Meade, two days after she disappeared and six days after Sister Catherine was reported missing.
Miss Malecki, 20, an office worker for a liquor distributor, had been stabbed in the throat and strangled.

County police reopened the Cesnik file this spring after a woman came forward with an account of sexual abuse and murder. Now the Malecki file is being reviewed for possible similarities.

It is an FBI case because Miss Malecki's body was found on federal property. Special Agent John Huntley, of the Annapolis office, confirmed that agents met with county detectives, but he declined to disclose any details of the discussion.
Who Killed Sister Cathy?
Baltimore, City Paper
By Tom Nugent | Posted 1/5/2005
On Nov. 13, 1969, six days after Sister Cathy Cesnik vanished, not to be found murdered for two long months, a second young woman—20-year-old Joyce Malecki—was found strangled and stabbed to death in a small creek located on the U.S. Army’s Fort Meade military base in Anne Arundel County, only a few miles from where Cesnik’s body would later turn up. That crime also has never been solved.

Malecki, a secretary for a liquor distributor in the Baltimore area, had been abducted from the parking lot of an E.J. Korvette’s department store in Glen Burnie. After disappearing around 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 11, Malecki resurfaced the following morning with her hands tied behind her back, lying face down in the Little Patuxent River at the military base. According to the autopsy, she had been strangled and stabbed several times in the throat; cause of death was strangulation.