'Siberian Mowgli'? Forest teen emerges after allegedly 16 years spent in wilderness

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
So far this story has been picked up by tabloids and Fox and other MSM sources sometimes a bit rum in nature:

'Siberian Mowgli' emerges after 16 years living with his family in the wilderness... after his parents mysteriously vanish. (Daily Mail)
• Unnamed man is thought to be around 20 years old, authorities say
• He emerged from the wilderness after his parents disappeared in May
• The region is known for hot summers and long, cold winters

The story at the link; a previous WS "forest boy" thread:

Boy From the Woods - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

What happened to his parents? Seems very strange to me.

I often wonder how these modern feral children are never able to lead authorities back to the sites where they lived in the wild. (Mind you, I would be so interested to read about a true contemporary feral child/family. There are some people who live very rustically where I live and where I work, but they are supposedly all accounted-for.)

I've stayed in Siberia in the winter for 2 weeks on two occasions. On my first visit, my LL Bean boots (comfort range to -40 degrees) FROZE TO THE SIDEWALK and the soles cracked. It was -30 to -40 Celsius everyday and that was a warm February for that area of Siberia. A Siberian friend lent me her fur-lined, animal-skin boots and took me to buy a long fur coat from a dealer standing outside the train station, so I wouldn't LITERALLY freeze to death. (I quickly learned that wool is not as warm as fur.) There is no chance in Hades that this person or his family survived on their own through any winter in Belokurikha, Russia. The city that I visited was almost on the same latitude line as Belokurikha.

It is possible that they survived in the forest, but with a lot of assistance from indigenous people.

Mods, please forgive me as this is OT.

Yeah, I can only imagine that this family could survive if they had traditional skills. I have spent a lot of time in the high arctic and words cannot express how skilled the women are there. While I have some very good commercial extreme weather gear for arctic regions (my parka, boots, pants, gloves, etc.), would probably cost about 2.5k all told), the best gear that I've bought is the traditional gear made by the Inuit (Eskimos). And those items, especially my kamiks (boots), are the most beautiful things I've ever bought, even including all of the Inuit art I have picked up.

This is even more OT than the above, but I had to buy a small freezer for my arctic clothing for when I am down south, as it is best preserved that way.

Back on topic, I have to think that if this fellow is legit, which he may be, he could find his way back to his camp. Anyone who lives up there for any time has a skill-set that would definitely include some basic navigation, or s/he wouldn't live to tell the tale.

I often wonder how these modern feral children are never able to lead authorities back to the sites where they lived in the wild. (Mind you, I would be so interested to read about a true contemporary feral child/family. There are some people who live very rustically where I live and where I work, but they are supposedly all accounted-for.)

This is not a feral child. He was raised by two humans as opposed to Maugli who was raised by wolves. And they know where he lives. Journalists have now visited his cabin (whatever you call it). Daily mail has photos of the cabin of him and his parents.

so he has since gone back to the hut in the forest ... and his parents are still unaccounted for

interesting story

He is in danger because he had no vaccinations. He likely has no immunity from common diseases.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back