875 users online (142 members and 733 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Donor is behind effort to ease sex-offender rules

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read..._sexoffend-ap/

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — As the politically connected owners of a multi-state tobacco store chain, Jon Rand and Sharie Keil have contributed thousands of dollars to Missouri politicians and even hired their own lobbyists. But the cause they are pushing right now has nothing to do with cigarettes.

The husband and wife are on a behind-the-scenes mission to pass legislation that would remove hundreds of people convicted of sex crimes as juveniles from the state's online listing of registered sex offenders. Their cause is intensely personal, because their son is among those whose name, photo and address would come down from law enforcement websites........

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon vetoed the bill earlier this summer, warning it could endanger the public by hiding the whereabouts of violent sex offenders. But the battle is not over. Missouri lawmakers are to convene Wednesday to consider overriding the veto........

Keil and Rand's son pleaded guilty to aggravated criminal sexual abuse in Illinois for an incident that occurred in June 1998. He was age 17 at the time, and the girl was 12. They say their son, and others like him, deserve a shot at a normal life without the spotlight of a permanent listing on sex-offender websites.

Much more in 4p. article.....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Wink

Tsk, tsk. Sometimes "family values" are SO very inconvenient. 17 and 12? Pretty sick.

17 and 12 is not jut exploration, unless their son is badly delayed. He should be on the list. I agree about some underage offenders (those that were exploring or just did something like exposing themselves), but not somebody like that.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

I'm surprised the state legislature passed this bill. What were they thinking?

Anytime a young man of 17 is convicted of aggravated criminal sexual abuse of a 12 year old girl, that's fairly serious. Considering her age, it doesn't sound like youthful indiscretion.

Illinois statute

(c) The accused commits aggravated criminal sexual
    abuse if:

(1) the accused was 17 years of age or over and (i)
    commits an act of sexual conduct
    with a victim who was under 13 years of age when th
    e act was committed; or (ii)
    commits an act of sexual conduct with a victim who
    was at least 13 years of age but
    under 17 years of age when the act was committed an
    d the accused used force or
    threat of force to commit the act;
    http://www.justdetention.org/pdf/leg...%205-12-16.pdf

What normal 17 yo guy wants to have sex with a 12 year old girl?
    All statements are my opinion only.

Um, Missourians, if you're tired of reading new Websleuths threads about new crimes committed by convicted sex offenders, please email that article and your thoughts to your legislators!!!

http://www.senate.mo.gov/

type your address into the address box and fire off an email.

Now!

Thank you,

Laughing

If Missouri changes its law re purge certain sex offenders off the state's registry then....

... would it be possible for a commerical website to download data from Missouri's sex offender registry website and maintain that data past the time that Missouri purges offenders off its database?

Wait...something doesn't make sense. These people (Rand & Keil) have money. Politicians have accepted their donations for years. A politician accepting a sizable donation would question something like tos and not want their self associated with them if something were nefarious. That's what makes me think more about the crime in this case - they want juveniles off of the registry. I question why if the crime is truly heinous then the person is dangerous. So lets look at where this stems from...their son. He was 17. What is his exact level of crime besides just being a sex offense? Was it rape? Is the media misreporting facts to serve an agenda? Why do they keep saying the victim was 12 when clearly all of the records inform victim was 13-16?

http://www.isp.state.il.us/sor/

(Anthony Keil Rand)

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey*Girl View Post
    Wait...something doesn't make sense. These people (Rand & Keil) have money. Politicians have accepted their donations for years. A politician accepting a sizable donation would question something like tos and not want their self associated with them if something were nefarious. That's what makes me think more about the crime in this case - they want juveniles off of the registry. I question why if the crime is truly heinous then the person is dangerous. So lets look at where this stems from...their son. He was 17. What is his exact level of crime besides just being a sex offense? Was it rape? Is the media misreporting facts to serve an agenda? Why do they keep saying the victim was 12 when clearly all of the records inform victim was 13-16?
    Thanks, Jersey*Girl....Do you have a link to those records showing the difference in the victim's age? TIA

Just from cases we've seen on the forum usually when it is 'aggravated sexual abuse', it means rape...IMO

I just checked another link and it still says she was 12 at the time of the offense. Also says some legislators are rethinking the veto:

Senate Majority Leader Ron Richard said he's not pressing for an override and is no longer sure whether he would vote "yes."

"Are we going to be letting sex offenders out that may (result in) unintended consequences?" asked Richard, a Republican from Joplin and a former House speaker......

Keil and Rand's son pleaded guilty to aggravated criminal sexual abuse in Illinois for an incident that occurred in June 1998. He was age 17 at the time, and the girl was 12. .......
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/d...rules-20180702

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey*Girl View Post
    Sometimes, if the perp takes a plea, it changes the level and also description of the crime.

My father was convicted of CSC against a 9 year old boy, but because he pled guilty to a lesser charge than he was originally charged with, all of his paperwork reads "person 12-15".
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

All of the mugshots online also state victim was 13-16. So was it consensual sex between teenagers and maybe here parents got mad & pressed charges or was it a true out & out rape against an unsuspecting victim?

If its a true rape in every sense of the word, then I don't get why Rand & Keil are behind the change in registry laws. After all, the unlicensed should be protected from monsters involved in such crimes. However, I can see their point if he participated in something nefarious such as clowning around or such (not to be taken out of context) - then maybe people like him deserve a second chance bc staying on the registry for life will forever hold them back. Should these idiots pay for a mistake their whole life if the crime doesn't fit but they have to serve their sentence based on how all sex offenders are sentenced? Now, if there was a relationship say between a 14 y/o & a 17 y/o and it was consensual but the parents were mad, them I'm against the registry altogether in that situation. So I wonder what the scenario is for his particular crime...

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    Thanks, Jersey*Girl....Do you have a link to those records showing the difference in the victim's age? TIA

Just from cases we've seen on the forum usually when it is 'aggravated sexual abuse', it means rape...IMO

I just checked another link and it still says she was 12 at the time of the offense. Also says some legislators are rethinking the veto:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/d...rules-20180702
    Don't have the official court records, only the info from the IL registry. If you google his full name, other mugshots come up for the same crime and they all say 13-16. I'm so confused. Why does the media keep printing 12?

Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    Sometimes, if the perp takes a plea, it changes the level and also description of the crime.

My father was convicted of CSC against a 9 year old boy, but because he pled guilty to a lesser charge than he was originally charged with, all of his paperwork reads "person 12-15".
    Oh. My. God. They can do that? How is that legal? It's misleading to the public! That's infuriating! Now maybe the articles make more sense.

How can a 17 y/o have consensual sex with a 12 y/o? Nope. That's rape.

Holy cow not_my_kids, makes so much more sense why the media keep printing 12 y/o now. Thank you. So now if I were a media person, I'd interview the D.A. to find out if AKR plead down and if so why change the age from 12 to 13-16 for his victim. That would be some good reporting if they do find out bc if I questioned the age then surely there are others doing the same.

Side note... Rand (the father) has contributed over $100,000 in political donations...

Was son Rand convicted of S/O's in 2 different states?

Daddy Rand made political contrib's in Missouri and hired a lobbyist in Missouri, to try to change S/O registry laws in Missouri.

The screen cap linked above (http://www.isp.state.il.us/sor/ ) re son Rand shows his conviction in Sangamon County, Illinois and shows his address as out of state in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Was son Rand convicted on two different S/O's,one in MO & one in IL, for which S/O info is originating from MO & IL registries? Or is it something else?

Why would Daddy Rand lobby only for changes to MO law, if the IL S/O register would still show son Rand as a S/O? Or will Daddy Rand work on IL legislature next?

Color me confused.
    Last edited by al66pine; 09-11-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast