1101 users online (184 members and 917 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Unhappy FL- Girl 12, found dead at abandoned cement plant

Girl, 12, found dead at abandoned cement plant

LAKELAND — Authorities say the body of a 12-year-old girl has been found at an abandoned cement business in Lakeland.

The Ledger of Lakeland (http://bit.ly/1b1uKrM ) reports Rebecca Ann Sedwick's parents reported the girl missing when she didn't return home by 7 p.m. Monday. Her body was found on the ground outside the business early Tuesday morning

http://www.ocala.com/article/2013091...-cement-plant-
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Did we miss having a thread for her? I don't recognize the name.
    “Evil begins when you begin to treat people as things.” -- Terry Pratchett

Mom of Lakeland girl found dead: Daughter was cyberbullied, killed self

A 12-year-old girl who was reported missing was found dead in Lakeland Tuesday, authorities said.

Detectives said Rebecca Ann Sedwick's body was found at a former business location for a cement company on North Eastside Drive.

Sedwick's mother, Tricia Norman, said it was a suicide, but investigators have not confirmed that.

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/...akeland/nZrsw/
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

This may have to be moved at some point to the bully thread. LE is not confirming just yet that she killed herself..............RIP Rebecca
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Cyber-bullied girl dead: 12-year-old's reported suicide topic of news briefing

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,6801462.story

I don't see a link for news conference that was held. Apparently she jumped from a structure at this cement company. She texted someone in NC that she didn't know, I believe, and said she couldn't take the bullying any longer and was ending it. That person never reported it. LE has also confiscated laptops, phones etc investigating the bullying and said that parents have been very cooperative. jmo

Why do these parents keep buying their kids cell phones, computers, etc. and letting them have facebook pages? I'm sorry, but if you know your child is or has been bullied why in the world would you let them have a facebook page to make it easier for the bullies. My son is 13 and he has been picked on a few times. I won't let him have a facebook. I don't have one. Why does he need one? I think these parents need to take some responsibility. Don't make it easier for the bullies and predators to get to your children.

"Judd said more than a dozen young girls are under investigation for possibly bullying Rebecca Ann Sedwick before she jumped to her death at an old cement business less than one mile from her home."

From link above.

Sigh.

I was usually the target of the mean girls, especially because I was younger than my classmates, but I'm extremely introverted anyway and it didn't get to me as much as it would a "normal" 12/13yo girl seeking acceptance. (Being a bit on the Asperger's side, I was more confused than hurt.)

But back then, you also left the bullying at school when you went home for the day, you didn't take it home with you on your phone.
    “Evil begins when you begin to treat people as things.” -- Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Christi View Post
    Why do these parents keep buying their kids cell phones, computers, etc. and letting them have facebook pages? I'm sorry, but if you know your child is or has been bullied why in the world would you let them have a facebook page to make it easier for the bullies. My son is 13 and he has been picked on a few times. I won't let him have a facebook. I don't have one. Why does he need one? I think these parents need to take some responsibility. Don't make it easier for the bullies and predators to get to your children.
    Personally, I think all parents should try to be aware of all activity involving their children. I've raised and am still raising mine....if I don't have passwords, usernames and complete history......you don't have a phone or internet access. That means if there is no text history, etc. bye bye phone, etc. Pretty simple. It does take extra effort and time but it is worth it to me. And I am raising them on my own so I have no parenting help. I caught one girl texting some garbage to my daughter, so I texted her back and there have been zero problems since then. I am sure she was freaking out when she realized that I had read every text she had sent.
    I feel terrible for this little girl and her family. My prayers and thoughts are with them.
    The best advice I give to my children: Tell the truth - whether you like it or not.

Angry

Bullying is a gateway to a life of crime and other evil things.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

It seems recently suicide due to "bullying" is never what the parents want the public to believe. That is, their meek child somehow - inexplicably and unpredictably and helplessly - becomes the victim of bullying and can't stop it no matter how hard the child tries.

That's simply not the case, it seems, ever. The parents did almost everything they could to stop it - they reported it to the school (not the school's fault, though), they switched her schools and they forced her to shut down her facebook page.

But she insisted on circumventing her parents help by using her cell phone to still access social media sites and participate in the bullying forum.

Sometimes, you can't save your precious children from themselves.

Suicide by "bullying" is much, much more complicated than parents realize. It's not cause and affect.

http://www.ibtimes.com/rebecca-ann-s...ar-old-florida

Unhappy

I just read about this story. How sad! What a tragic waste of a young life, all over a boy. I hope the bullies are caught and put to shame!
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

Question

Quote Originally Posted by JeannaT View Post
    It seems recently suicide due to "bullying" is never what the parents want the public to believe. That is, their meek child somehow - inexplicably and unpredictably and helplessly - becomes the victim of bullying and can't stop it no matter how hard the child tries.

That's simply not the case, it seems, ever. The parents did almost everything they could to stop it - they reported it to the school (not the school's fault, though), they switched her schools and they forced her to shut down her facebook page.

But she insisted on circumventing her parents help by using her cell phone to still access social media sites and participate in the bullying forum.

Sometimes, you can't save your precious children from themselves.

Suicide by "bullying" is much, much more complicated than parents realize. It's not cause and affect.

http://www.ibtimes.com/rebecca-ann-s...ar-old-florida
    I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to subject themselves to that- I would try to get away from it. Why give the bullies the power by killing themselves???
    And I was bullied for 3 years in elementary school and had no friends. But I valued myself, even if noone else did.
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

Quote Originally Posted by LinasK View Post
    I just read about this story. How sad! What a tragic waste of a young life, all over a boy. I hope the bullies are caught and put to shame!
    Envy drove them to bully. Envy drives people to commit evil acts. Lori Drew, Casey Anthony, Jodi Arias, Yoselyn Ortega, Gertrude Baniszewski, and Seung-Hui Cho are consumed by extreme envy.

Murderous Envy
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...murderous-envy

Envy is a common feeling. In most instances, it is a harmless matter of people wishing they had someone else's attributes or possessions. In some cases, however, envy can be a motivation for murder. Earlier this month, Stephen Morgan killed Johanna Justin-Jinich, a student at Wesleyan University. Beyond the murder of Johanna, with whom he had been obsessed for a long time, Morgan had written in his journal that he thought it was "okay" to "go on a killing spree at this school" (i.e., Wesleyan). Why did he want to kill people at Wesleyan? His journal gives us a clue. In an entry written approximately two hours before the murder, Morgan referred to all the smart and beautiful people at Wesleyan. This suggests that envy may have been a factor in his planned killing spree. If so, he would not have been the first school shooter to envy the people he wished to kill.

At Columbine High School, Dylan Klebold envied the social successes of the school's athletes. In his journal, he wrote, "I see jocks having fun, friends, women." In another entry he wrote, "I hated the happiness that they [jocks] have." In contrast, he wrote about himself as being so different from everyone else that he seemed to believe he was not truly human or capable of functioning like a human being.

At Virginia Tech, Seung Hui Cho criticized people as stuck-up hedonists. He stated, "Your Mercedes wasn't enough, you brats. Your golden necklaces weren't enough, you snobs." Despite this hostility, Cho wished he could join them: "Oh the happiness I could have had mingling among you hedonists, being counted as one of you." It seems that his antipathy toward them was driven by his inability to be included among them.

Many people have assumed that school shooters target peers who have picked on them. This is rarely the case. Few shooters kill anyone who has harassed them. Rather, as noted with the examples cited above, shooters are more likely driven by envy than by revenge. This seems most true among those shooters I identify in my book as psychotic-i.e., those who are schizophrenic or schizotypal.

Most people think school shooters are bullied. Turns out that is not the case. They are consumed by extreme envy mixed with alienation and rage that builds up over time. Bullies are no different from school shooters and rampage killers.
    Last edited by HMSHood; 09-13-2013 at 11:05 PM.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

Quote Originally Posted by LinasK View Post
    I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to subject themselves to that- I would try to get away from it. Why give the bullies the power by killing themselves???
    And I was bullied for 3 years in elementary school and had no friends. But I valued myself, even if noone else did.
    I completely "get" what you're saying. I was bullied in 7th grade, after I moved from an air force base sheltered life to a junior high school full of kids who all were born in that same tiny town and all grew up together. I didn't fit in - I had a New England accent and they all had a slow southern drawl. Thank God eventually after a year everything worked out and I was finally accepted after working REALLY hard to make friends. Alls well that ends well, and for me, that did indeed end well.

During that time of being bullied every day, I meekly skulked around and avoided all contact that might be bullying. I ran home after school, and stayed in my house. I ran from the bullies, and hid and cowered.

I just don't think the bullying I experienced was the same thing - at ALL - as these teenagers who seek out active fights with their peers in real life and on social media and then, literally to show their enemies up, kill themselves to purposely create a grand finale.

Killing myself was the absolute furthest thing from my mind when I was bullied. It does seem, there are teens who continue to seek out this conflict and then kill themselves to try to hurt their "bullies". They're basically popular kids, and can't STAND IT that they aren't still in the upper core of social strata.

It never works, though. Bullies don't care. And in the end, there is a horrifically tragic loss of an immature teenager who hasn't grown up enough to know that suicide is final and wasteful. And in retrospect, they should not have so enjoyed engaging the bullies all in battle and tried to "up" the game by killing themselves. SO very sad.
    Last edited by JeannaT; 09-13-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christi View Post
    And I say just the opposite. Why do parents of the bullies allow their kids to have cell phones and social media? At the very first instance of any unkind words, those kids should be prohibited from all social media contact until they can learn to conduct themselves in a more compassionate manner.

Parents need to pay attention to what their kids are doing and teach them better.

Salem

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast