1193 users online (219 members and 974 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BREAKING ∙ NJ - Spared by Sandy, Seaside Park boardwalk burning in six alarm blaze

Jersey Shore ablaze: Six-alarm fire rages at Seaside Park boardwalk, engulfing several buildings. (New York Daily News)
    Emergency crews are evacuating the FunTown Amusement Pier as thick, black clouds darken the sky and embers scatter in the fierce winds as far as four blocks away.

The fire reportedly broke out about 2:15 p.m [ET]. Thursday at the iconic Kohr's Frozen Custard stand. It spread to neighboring buildings about 15 minutes later and eventually lit up the boardwalk itself.

It escalated quickly to five alarms and eventually reached six just before 4 p.m. It engulfed several buildings and shows no signs of letting up.

The cause of the fire is not yet known.
    ---
    more, with pictures, video, at the link

Just saw this on local news. It had just been rebuilt. I do hope everyone is safe and no one harmed.

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

Don't know definitively but on the Twitter, word was that the boardwalk at Seaside Park was spared (more or less) by Sandy, but that, next door, Seaside Heights' had to be rebuilt. (That was the location of the iconic "roller coaster in the sea" pictures.)

NBC News ‏@NBCNews 8m
    Massive fire destroys 80 percent of Jersey Shore boardwalk that survived Hurricane Sandy
    livestream, article: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...223511611.html

This is horrible.. I was just watching live...
    Atticus Finch: “You never really understand a person . . . until you consider things from his point of view.” To Kill A Mockingbird

All my posts are my opinion only.

Just saw, live, a raised wooden old structure with the large letters F.U.N.T.O.W.N on its side, engulfed in flames. As I watched its large roof slewed backward and collapsed.

How sad! Horrible.
    Look twice - Save a Life! Motorcycles are everywhere!

I'm watching the live feed (posted above) and I can't believe people (gawkers) are just standing there filling their lungs with all that smoke. They need to go home and just watch the live stream.

A raging fire that apparently started in an ice cream shop spread several blocks down a New Jersey shore boardwalk that was damaged in Superstorm Sandy and was being repaired.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...cal&id=9245840

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Christine Hemingway was working inside Kohr Brothers this afternoon and says it appears the smoke was rising from underneath the boardwalk.

"Our manager came running through the stand and said 'get out,' we go around the corner in front of Biscayne Candy and there was smoke coming up from the boardwalk," says Hemingway. "There was a little smoke and then all of a sudden, it got real thick and black."
    Really hope this isn't arson.

I guess the only good thing is that it's later in the year which means less people and less lost revenue.

All that black smoke looks scary as heck though.

Quote Originally Posted by popsicle View Post
    Really hope this isn't arson.
    I grew up in NJ. There's no doubt in my mind that this is arson. NONE jmo

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Just saw, live, a raised wooden old structure with the large letters F.U.N.T.O.W.N on its side, engulfed in flames. As I watched its large roof slewed backward and collapsed.
    The Funtown building is right on the Funtown Pier where the roller coaster was in the water after Sandy. That building hasn't reopened since then.
    Although the businesses affected by the fire weren't destroyed by Sandy some did receive water damage. The boardwalk that they tore up in an effort to stop the fire from spreading is all brand new.
    Such a sad, sad day : (

Look at all the fire UNDER the pier....
    Attached Images Attached Images

I grew up in NJ and spent many, many hours on that boardwalk. This is so very sad. So many wonderful memories created there. From my own childhood, through teen years to bringing my own children to the boardwalk each summer. Seeing the images of the places I remember so clearly up in flames brought tears to my eyes.

That being said...I also wouldn't be surprised if it was arson.
    Please be aware that what I type is my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast