Found Deceased Australia - Gary Tweddle, 23, Blue Mountains NSW, 16 July 2013 - #3

marlywings

Former Member
Reaction score
MISSING - Gary Tweddle - 23 YO - Blue Mountains - NSW - Australia

Missing from: Fairmont Resort - Leura - Blue Mountains - New South Wales - Australia

Last Known Movements

Video Sighting Mon 15th July 2013: Around Midnight: CCTV Footage shows Gary running from the Fairmont Resort Leura.

Last Reported Sighting Tues 16th July 2013: 12.15 AM - Gary was reportedly seen on Watkins Road by a passing motorist who did not stop.

Last Contact Tues 16th July 2013: 12.20 AM - Gary made contact via his phone to his colleagues back at the resort. The phone call was 17 minutes long.
At 12:37 AM the phone cut out - his battery was depleted or it had lost reception, or had been turned off.

Physical Description:
Hair: short brown hair
Eyes: brown eyes
Complexion: Fair
Height:165-170cm (64-66 inches) (5'4"-5'6"ft) tall.

Clothing
Purple and Pink Checkered patterned shirt
Dark Grey Jeans

GOOGLE MAP-Fairmont Resort Leura - Blue Mountains NSW

4823572-3x2-340x227.jpg

Anyone with information on his whereabouts is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

SOURCES:
ABC News Report
Australian Times.co.uk
Yahoo

Timeline/Media Links/Maps

Thread #1

Thread #2

It is VERY important that all WS members read and understand the concepts listed below. Everyone will be expected to follow them while at WS.

[url="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8364858#post8364858]Rules Etiquette & Information[/url]

Police said the body was found by an ambulance rescue helicopter during a training exercise near bushland in Leura about 4pm, police said.

Blue Mountains crime manager Mick Bostock said police rescue officers would not be able to retrieve the body until dawn on Wednesday.

It’s too dangerous, they are going to have to wait to retrieve the body tomorrow,’’ Inspector Bostock said.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/gary-tweddles-body-found-police-believe-20130902-2t0vl.html#ixzz2dioXMNef

This is for any of our new members who are having issues viewing some of the photos.

Because some photos are posted from a Websleuths photo album, you won't have the required number of posts to view them. You will need to have around 20 or so posts.

A very easy way to quickly acquire the necessary posts is to go to one of our games threads located at the following link. Pick a thread, most are one word for each post...post away until your posts are over 20.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Please shoot me a PM if you continue to have issues & I'll help you further.

BBM

Now marly ... you know we're not allowed to talk about PMs on the thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

:blowkiss:

This is a day of not only the celebration of Gary's life, but also to give thanks for the granted miracle that his family asked for - for him to be able to be found and to come home to them - and he did just that.
May the healing now begin, so that warm memories of beautiful smiles and good times replace the pain of loss and sadness that his family and friends have faced.
RIP Gary.
Many thanks for the heads up re 20 posts, Marlywings. Made it!
Now I can finally see the gorgeous flowers that FigTree attached to the tree at the site. Absolutely beautiful, FigTree! From all the photos I've seen of Gary, he seems to wear a lot of purple, so the purple ribbons were a very good choice.

"Stamper
If suicide is ruled out, and accidentally plunging off the cliff is ruled out (and I believe it can) that leaves one likely scenario. IMHO"

Just wondering why you think accidentally plunging off the cliff can be ruled out Stamper?

I'm just going to bring over the pics from the last thread which gives a view of the track below Sublime Point Road which travels past Sweet Dreams and onto West Street, Leura.

Pic 1 - The Google Map with the track marked on it.
Pic 2 - Looking down that main track (which is marked on the Google map pic)
Pic 3 - From this little side track that goes to the edge of the cliff you can see where the edge of the cliff starts - though its not that clear - but the track is rather wide. There is a lot of leaf debris on the down slope.
Pic 4 - This is near Sweet Dreams, this is the view - you can see where the cliff drop off is if you look at the shrub line - very close at this point.
Pic 5 - The back of the closest house - you can see how far away it is.

Attachments

• Track walk sublime point road map.jpg
    Track walk sublime point road map.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 76
  • Track walk sublime point road 001.jpg
    Track walk sublime point road 001.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Track walk sublime point road 006.jpg
    Track walk sublime point road 006.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Track walk sublime point road 009.jpg
    Track walk sublime point road 009.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 84
  • Track walk sublime point road 010.jpg
    Track walk sublime point road 010.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 77
I'm just going to bring over the pics from the last thread which gives a view of the track below Sublime Point Road which travels past Sweet Dreams and onto West Street, Leura.

Pic 3 - From this little side track that goes to the edge of the cliff you can see where the edge of the cliff starts - though its not that clear - but the track is rather wide. There is a lot of leaf debris on the down slope.
Pic 4 - This is near Sweet Dreams, this is the view - you can see where the cliff drop off is if you look at the shrub line - very close at this point.

Thank you for all your input FigTree. These photos are very telling. Gives me cold shivers looking but they make sense of a lot that hasn't made sense for many people. :rose:

715005-ec886722-1c37-11e3-bcde-48256d9f999c.jpg

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...tim-gary-tweddle/story-fni0cx12-1226718556431

Someone on another thread has mentioned the following link in relation to a possible drug-related crime. Developments have just happened last week in the linked crime.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/jaguar-may-hold-key-to-belindas-disappearance-20130315-2g50x.html

Interesting to me due to the timing of the new developments, and the geographical location (Katoomba) of the possible drug-related crime.

I wonder if Gary's wallet was found/is missing, and if he had cash missing.

This is the 3rd thread and I've only just realized that there are threads about Gary... I've got a lot of catching up to do! It's such a sad story.

Look forward to seeing you again when you make it back here Humdinger. We could use some fresh ideas … we’re stumped!

Having said that, from the link I posted above, it seems there is someone who could be involved in the local drug trade who is not afraid of disappearing others – either in their quest for personal gain, or due to disputes, or for some other unknown reason.

Could Gary have encountered such a person, if he was intending to take care of some business on that fateful night?

As we’ve mentioned before, he certainly isn’t the only young person to go missing in that area. And even the emergency services say that it was a fluke that they found Gary when they did.

Someone on another thread has mentioned the following link in relation to a possible drug-related crime. Developments have just happened last week in the linked crime.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/jaguar-may-hold-key-to-belindas-disappearance-20130315-2g50x.html

Interesting to me due to the timing of the new developments, and the geographical location (Katoomba) of the possible drug-related crime.

I wonder if Gary's wallet was found/is missing, and if he had cash missing.

Pretty certain there is no correlation between these two cases.That young girl had been living with a pretty rough drug crowd in Katoomba & had inherited a small fortune which would have been very appealing to those desperate for funds to fuel their habit.Her case was recently up before the court in Sydney as new evidence came to light - someone always knows something as they say!!

Your pics are so helpful, FigTree. Now the questions are:

How would this have all looked late at night to a 'wobbly' person?
Could they even have found these tracks at night? I believe some of our savvy WSers didn't notice them in broad daylight.
Have the police investigated these tracks, and have they tried to do it at night (sober)?
How does a person get through those metres of scrub before the cliff's edge? Surely they would leave a broken/trodden down/pushed apart trail. And surely that scrub would stop a slip/break a fall if a person started to slide that way.

Pretty certain there is no correlation between these two cases.That young girl had been living with a pretty rough drug crowd in Katoomba & had inherited a small fortune which would have been very appealing to those desperate for funds to fuel their habit.Her case was recently up before the court in Sydney as new evidence came to light - someone always knows something as they say!!

Agreed that the situations are different, however, she is not the only young person to vanish from the area - as talked about early in Thread One I believe.
There have been other (unsolved) disappearances of out-of-towners in the area in unusual (not bush-walking) scenarios.

ETA: The young Katoomba girl would surely not have had her $100,000 stashed under a mattress for a suspected killer to find - which is why I thought of Gary in such a scenario at all.

This is just my logic and I hope other will chime in here too -

Now the questions are:
How would this have all looked late at night to a 'wobbly' person?
To get this far down Sublime Point Road on foot is a pretty amazing feat in itself, especially if Gary was 'wobbly'. This track is pretty dry and not that many lumps and bumps and tree roots - though I did notice 2 fallen trees across the track you have to duck under, and the track undulates in places. If he had the light from his phone he could have slowly made his way along this track. With no light, he still may have managed to keep along the track line as the trees either side make a corridor - but, where Sweet Dreams is, and further along the shrubs start to get small and the area opens up a bit. He may have mistook this for the opening of a path. Once your off the path, being wobbly I think would be a problem. The bare rock is uneven but solid, and the ground cover thick. There are smaller tracks that lead off to the edge (these are for the Abseilers).

Could they even have found these tracks at night? I believe some of our savvy WSers didn't notice them in broad daylight.

Good point. I haven't been on this track before and don't adventure much to the cliff edges alone. But once on the track (weekend) I bumped into maybe 20 Abseilers. There are no signs from the cement path that leads to the lookout to get on this path. My thoughts are you would have to know the area or have been down this path before during the day to know its there.

Have the police investigated these tracks, and have they tried to do it at night (sober)?

I have no idea about that. I think its a possibility that once Gary was sighted and the recovery effort in the morning had begun, the Police may have searched for clues prior at the area. Its never been reported as to what they did or what investigations they did. But when I was there on Recovery day just after midday the Detectives where there - and I noticed one of them in an MSM report photo later who I could see down the cliff faces. The Detectives I think left at about 2.30PM, but the Police teams were still there.

How does a person get through those metres of scrub before the cliff's edge? Surely they would leave a broken/trodden down/pushed apart trail. And surely that scrub would stop a slip/break a fall if a person started to slide that way.

There are so many people walking over that area for Abseiling, and with the amount of people who were searching for Gary, Im not sure they could conclude where he walked and where he went over - or even how he went over. There would be clues somewhere, but the area has been well trod there now by others. But that also brings up the question of why no other abseilers saw Gary during that time.
The bush there is quite thick, but its not very tall - so you can walk through iit and over it in places. But at night you cannot see in front of you very well.

You can see by these other photos how low the scrub is and how close the edge is - I am standing on the track near SD taking these pics (pic 1). You could walk to the edge from here and not realize its only metres away.

Attachments

• Track walk sublime point road 016.jpg
    Track walk sublime point road 016.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 70
  • Track walk sublime point road 012.jpg
    Track walk sublime point road 012.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Track walk sublime point road 004.jpg
    Track walk sublime point road 004.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 66
Dear Figtree.. Thank you for all you have done and are continuing to do in bringing to all the information and photos of the terrain... In regards to West street's end...... Is that close to where Gary fell?

Anyone who DOES know the track well would know that it ends. Perhaps he knew where it ended and intended to climb up through the scrub to exit at around eg. West St. BUT if around there was the spot where he talked to colleagues and said he was 'lost in the bush but could see a main road', it suggests to me that he didn't know the track and area well. (IMO)

If he took that track at all, having met with someone, then perhaps the someone showed him where the track began and left him to it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back