1012 users online (218 members and 794 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

NC - Jonathan Ferrell, 24, fatally shot by LE, Charlotte, 14 Sep 2013

Police in North Carolina shot and killed a man running toward them Saturday morning -- but he may have just been looking for help.

----------------------

One of the officers pulled out his stun gun, but it malfunctioned.
    Another officer then opened fire, police said.

Jonathan Ferrell died at the scene. He was shot several times.

He was unarmed.

Police now believe Ferrell was seeking assistance after crashing his car.

----------------------

Police have charged Officer Randall Kerrick with voluntary manslaughter -- a felony.
    He turned himself in Saturday afternoon and was being held early Sunday on a $50,000 bond.

--------------

There were three officers at the scene, but Kerrick was the only one to use a gun.

He fired several times, police said.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/15/justic...html?hpt=hp_t1
    Last edited by MsFacetious; 09-15-2013 at 04:28 AM.

The police officer that shot and killed a former FAMU football player has been arrested and charged with voluntary manslaughter, that according CBS affiliate WBTV in Charlotte.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Fo...223774221.html

Article about the brothers, looks like the victim's name may be spelled wrong.
    In this one it's spelled Jonathon:

http://www.thefamuanonline.com/sport...6#.UjVtKD8gv4o

Florida A&M linebacker Willie Ferrell transferred from a major Division I program to tend to his ailing mother, Georgia Mills-Ferrell, who almost had a heart attack last year.

-------------

Ferrell, the youngest of five, shares the playing field with his brother Jonathon, a third-year psychology student and strong safety. They also played football together at FAMU DRS.

Getting the opportunity to play with his brother again was another reason Willie transferred to FAMU.

"Playing football with him again feels like it did in high school, summer nights you don't want to end because they are so much fun," Jonathon said.

"It's refreshing to come in the locker room and have your best friend to laugh with."

"It was a pretty serious accident," Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Rodney Monroe told CNN affiliate WSOC.

The crash was so severe that authorities now believe Ferrell had to climb out of the back window,
    another affiliate WBTV reported.

Oh this is sad. To think it seems to have started because a woman was so frightened she reported an accident victim knocking on her door as a break and enter!! I would bet if the cops hadn't heard B&E, they might have been able to actually help someone. Jonathon Ferrell must have been in shock and confused, just going on adrenaline. Maybe his clothes were ripped. Maybe there was blood on his face. Maybe an inexperienced cop would assume the worst and think, big kid, bad clothes, not listening, danger. Not maybe this guy may be injured so hurt his ears could be ringing, and he isn't able to hear me. If that woman had said that someone was knocking on her door and she was scared because she didn't know him, maybe Ferrell would be alive because the cops wouldn't have had "housebreaking criminal" in their minds based on nothing but that woman's fears.

The woman did tell police this person was knocking on her door, according to cnn article.
    Just my opinion

Thanks jjenny. I shouldn't post when I'm tired and not double checking. I made the assumption that the jump from knocking to housebreaking happened with the caller rather than further along the chain. Then went into my little rant of further suppositions. Sorry to have muddied the waters around a case that could become extremely controversial as the investigation proceeds.

My apologies for a negative tone that really wasn't helpful. Actually, I'm really impressed that LE responded so decisively when dealing with one of its own. Given this attitude, I'm hopeful that they will be able to find ways to prevent recurrences of this kind of situation.

I'm saddened that another young life was so needlessly taken.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFacetious View Post
    "It was a pretty serious accident," Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Rodney Monroe told CNN affiliate WSOC.

The crash was so severe that authorities now believe Ferrell had to climb out of the back window,
    another affiliate WBTV reported.

I saw a photo of the car in one of the (many!) articles about this, but can't find it now. It was serious, but not like what I'd call "severe." The front end was crumpled and there was other damage, but it wasn't crushed or mangled and it looked like the passenger compartment was not significantly compromised. I can't remember if the windsheild was shattered, but the rear window was broken out.jmo
    Last edited by Karmady; 09-15-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: was NOT significantly compromised

There's a picture of the rear end of Ferrel's vehicle at this link, which reports that the cop is out on $50k bond

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.UjXvJU7n_IU

I understand that she might get scared at first, but after some minutes the reality must've sunk in? I'm sure he screamed and explained and all that.

This is just one horrible event after the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
    I understand that she might get scared at first, but after some minutes the reality must've sunk in? I'm sure he screamed and explained and all that.

This is just one horrible event after the other.
    I am not sure of anything of the sort. We don't know what caused the crush to begin with, and he could have been disoriented after the crush. Maybe he had head trauma. He might have not necessarily been making sense.
    Just my opinion

His car is shown in this video at about the 1:20 mark. It looks significantly damaged to me.

http://www.wsoctv.com/videos/news/cm...narmed/vCCTrc/

Oh, the police have also removed the front door from the house he knocked on?

Quote Originally Posted by i.b.nora View Post
    His car is shown in this video at about the 1:20 mark. It looks significantly damaged to me.

http://www.wsoctv.com/videos/news/cm...narmed/vCCTrc/

Oh, the police have also removed the front door from the house he knocked on?
    Looks like a lot of damage to the front of the car. The guy could have hit his head. Maybe he wasn't behaving rationally due to head trauma?
    If they removed the door I presume there are marks on it from the guy banging on it.
    Just my opinion

The woman did nothing wrong by calling the police. I would be very likely to call them if anyone were knocking on my door at 2:30 am. People "breaking and entering" seldom do so by knocking/pounding on the front door however. I agree that he was probably disoriented from the accident.

Don't most robbers run away from cops, not towards them?

Quote Originally Posted by raindrops300 View Post
    The woman did nothing wrong by calling the police. I would be very likely to call them if anyone were knocking on my door at 2:30 am. People "breaking and entering" seldom do so by knocking/pounding on the front door however. I agree that he was probably disoriented from the accident.
    Regarding people breaking and entering not knocking on doors. That is not accurate. A lot of robbers knock on the door first to see if anyone is home. If nobody answers they know they can break in. And some robbers claim to be something they are not to get into the house. When we live in a crime free society, then and only then I will be communicating with someone in the middle of the night.
    Just my opinion

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast