FL FL - Lakeland, WhtFem UP9500, 40-45, burned, off Saddle Creek Rd, Apr'61

May I please put this Jane Doe here.Has she been put on here before?

April 15, 1961 in Polk County, Florida.

http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase2285.html

No she didn't already have a thread. Here are her DoeNet and NamUs casefiles:

The Doe Network:
Hot Case 2285
http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase2285.html
NamUs UP 9500 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9500

No Image Available

Unidentified Female

The victim was discovered on April 15, 1961 in Polk County, Florida.
Estimated Date of Death: Unknown.
State of Remains: Charred.
Cause and Manner of Death: Unknown/Homicide.

Vital Statistics

Estimated Age: Unknown.
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'1" to 5'4" and unknown weight.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Permed, brown hair and unknown eye color. Race is unknown.
Orange-red polish on her toe nails.
Dentals: Unknown. Poor dental care.
DNA: Unknown.
Fingerprints: Unknown.

Case History

The victim’s burned body was found in a wooded area near SR 542 and Saddle Creek Mine Road. The victim sustained severe head
injuries. Paper was piled on top of her body and was set on fire.

I see the page was updated in 2014 and DNA now says Status: Sample available - Not yet submitted.
What does that really mean, I'm sure tons of people have asked and I feel a bit dumb, but does that mean the police have the sample and it has not been run? Or it is in a lab some where in a queue? Or something else.

I see the page was updated in 2014 and DNA now says Status: Sample available - Not yet submitted.
What does that really mean, I'm sure tons of people have asked and I feel a bit dumb, but does that mean the police have the sample and it has not been run? Or it is in a lab some where in a queue? Or something else.

I think it can mean nearly any of those things, depending on the case and the LE agency. I've seen one case where it meant that everything was done, but it was waiting on paperwork from a state agency to authorize paying for it.

I think it can mean nearly any of those things, depending on the case and the LE agency. I've seen one case where it meant that everything was done, but it was waiting on paperwork from a state agency to authorize paying for it.

Thanks carbuff

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I also found this woman that was unidentified found march 4 1961 not too far from the Jane doe on this thread
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/691uffl.html
Estimated Age: 35-55 years old
Race: White
Height: 5'3" to 5'5"
Weight: 115-130 lbs.
Hair Color: Dark brown, medium-length, and recently permed.
Eye Color: Unknown

and I found this woman also and she was found Feb 5 1961.. she is a little further.. but what I fid interesting is they all have the same look/hair color age range... and each was 1 month apart and each unidentified
https://www.flsheriffs.org/uploads/star/THE_SHERIFFS_STAR_VOL_5,_NO_1,_MARCH_1961.pdf
IMG_1535.jpg

Wow, I live in Lakeland and never heard of this, If anyone needs me to submit or find anything out let me know, Saddle Creek is 15 minutes up the road. We service that area all the time..

Oh wow really? If you can submit the woman I just posted would be great and I don't know if the other woman tha Ms Suzanne posted was ever submitted. And if you want maybe you can get more info from them on this case would be really great! I wish they had a sketch or something for this Jane doe..thank you so much Shin Masamura!
Wow, I live in Lakeland and never heard of this, If anyone needs me to submit or find anything out let me know, Saddle Creek is 15 minutes up the road. We service that area all the time..

oh Thank you!!! I am excited to see if you find out any more information from the original case!! There is always more info in their files than is out there.. Thank you again!

Will do..

Updated Namus link Unidentified Person Case

Mary Vangilder is the only ruleout.

@Shin Masamura, was there ever any update about the other submissions?
Had to look back at my email submission, never got a response. I'll try to swing by the police department today. However, if im not mistaken that might be Polk Sheriff jurisdiction and not Lakeland PD. Lakeland PD is 10 min away. Polk Sheriff is in Bartow ..

Had to look back at my email submission, never got a response. I'll try to swing by the police department today. However, if im not mistaken that might be Polk Sheriff jurisdiction and not Lakeland PD. Lakeland PD is 10 min away. Polk Sheriff is in Bartow ..

Yes, the Namus page lists Polk Sheriff as the contact:

Polk County Sheriff's Office
(863) 298-6834

Agency Case Number1961-002681
Steve Parker, Detective
--

Nothing on her Namus page.

She's mentioned in this cold case listing (#26 of 76) Photos: UPDATED: Can You Help? Polk County cold case murder files

[26/76]

Jane Doe - No Picture Available
Discovery Date: APRIL 15, 1961

A female victim’s burned body was found on April 15, 1961, in a wooded area near SR 542 & Saddle Creek Mine Rd in Lakeland. She sustained severe head injuries. Paper was piled on top of her body and set on fire. She is described as 5′2 - 5′3, with permed, brown hair, poor dental care, and orange-red nail polish on her toenails.

Still unidentified and the only rule out is still Mary Vangilder. Alice Fancher is not listed in NAMUS. Potential match to Phoebe Callahan has NOT been ruled out. Anyone know if it was submitted? Read somewhere that Phoebes husband told the kids she left them for another man. He filed for divorce the following April.

Vance Johnston, "Burned Body Of Woman Discovered," Tampa Tribune, 16 April 1961, 6A.
Burned Body Of Woman Discovered_.jpg
Tindell said Charles Golden, Orlando, and his wife were fishing in a small lake off the old Lakeland - Winter Haven road and found the charred body when they went to dig for worms in the wooded section.

The deputy said the body was charred except for the feet and portions of one leg. It had been covered by wood and brush before being set afire. Evidence indicated the body had been dragged about 45 feet to the fire site.

[...]

Evidence also indicated the body had been scantily clad since there was no indication of clothing in the ashes or in the area.

Tindell said a study of the remains indicated the victim was a young woman, "probably in late teens or early 20's" was between five feet and five feet, three inches in height, medium build and white. The toenails had been freshly polished.

"Body Is Found, Murder Feared," Fort Lauderdale News, 16 April 1961, 10B.
Body Is Found, Murder Feared_.jpg
The burned body of an unidentified woman was found in an isolated area three miles east of here Saturday, and authorities said it was murder.

The body, burned beyond recognition, was found off the old Lakeland - Winter Haven road by a fisherman. It was charred, except for the feet and portions of one leg.

Polk County Criminal Deputy Sheriff Claude Tindall said "There is no question in my mind. This is murder."

He said there was evidence the killer dragged the body for 48 feet before setting it afire. "He must have poured some inflammable fluid on the body and set fire to it," Tindall said.

The killing, Tindall said, occurred Friday night or early Saturday. There were indications the woman was killed before she was brought to the spot where the body was found.

[...]

The body was found in a wooded area adjacent to phosphate mining pits.

"Polk Deputies on Extra Duty To Probe Murder of Woman," Tampa Tribune, 18 April 1961, 8.
Polk Deputies on Extra Duty To Probe Murder of Woman_.jpg
The body, covered with ashes of wood, debris and paper, was discovered Saturday by Orlando fisherman Charles Golden who summoned officers.

[...]

Aerial photos of the scene were taken this afternoon in order to aid in the investigation.

Sheriff Monroe Brannen and five deputies have been on full time duty checking out the various reported disappearances.

"Polk Still Lacks Clue In Woman's Slaying," Tampa Tribune, 21 April 1961, 6.
Polk Still Lacks Clue In Woman's Slaying_.jpg
Divers were probing the depths of a phosphate pit about 60 or 70 feet from a thicketed area where the body of a woman believed to be between 40 and 45 years old was discovered last Saturday.

"We are diving in hopes of finding evidence of a weapon of some type -- of anything," Chief Deputy Claude Tindall said hopefully today.

"We don't hold much chance of finding one but we don't want to overlook it," he added.

[...]

A dental chart, worked up by Broward County Medical Examiner Jack Mickley, indicated the woman had 11 teeth missing, nine of which were jaw teeth on the bottom row.

Eleven cavities in 10 teeth were evident, eight in the top teeth and three on the bottom.

"Medical Findings Indicate Polk Body Hacked to Death," Tampa Tribune, 28 April 1961, 1.
Medical Findings Indicate Polk Body Hacked to Death_.jpg
The cause of death of a woman found burned beyond recognition near a phosphate pit outside Lakeland was probably an ax or meat cleaver, officers said today.

A medical examiner's report released today by Polk Chief Criminal Deputy Claude Tindall indicated the body of the 40 to 45-year-old woman was mutilated by a sharp instrument.

[...]

"We still want people to continue to call," Tindall urged today. "Any information we get might narrow the field down."

[...]

The medical statement, in addition to the revelation the woman was probably hacked to death, showed that she had undergone a female operation several years before her death.

The officers also have a dental chart showing that 11 teeth had been pulled and that a number of cavities were apparent in the remaining teeth.

She has been described as 40 to 45 years old, five feet, two inches tall, with brown hair which had been dyed that color apparently to hide greying.

"Identity of Woman Hacked To Death Still a Mystery," Tampa Tribune, 3 October 1962, 2B.
Identity of Woman Hacked To Death Still a Mystery_.jpg
Deputy Earl Branch said Monday more than 100 leads have been checked out but the identity of the 40 or 45-year-old woman found in a phosphate pit near Lakeland still is not known.

Every deputy in the Polk County sheriff's department has played some part in trying to solve the brutal slaying. The case now rests with Branch.

"I can't get this thing off my mind," he said. "I dream about it. It worries me to think the killer might be walking the streets. Maybe we've spoken. Maybe it's someone I know."

[...]

A medical statement said a portion of the woman's liver showed she was a heavy drinker, probably an alcoholic.

Investigators concluded that she had been hacked to death with an ax or meat cleaver. The body was drenched with gasoline and heaped with wood before it was set afire.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back