1357 users online (301 members and 1056 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CA - Carla Ruth Reyes, 54, Yucca Valley, 3 Feb 2013

Details: On 2/3/13 between the hours of 0730 and 0900, Carla Ruth Reyes drove away from her residence and has not been seen or heard from since. She took only a blanket, a pillow, and her medications with her. She left her cellular phone inside her residence. She was driving a 2002 Maroon colored Mitsubishi Galant, 4 door sedan with a front & rear license plate of CA 5NOL847. The vehicle has damage to the front bumper and the left rear panel. Carla Reyes has not been seen or heard from since leaving and her whereabouts are unknown.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/19383/21/

I've been following this case for a while, as of this writing her vehicle has not been located. This fact suggests that it might possible be located in a remote area that is infrequently visited, quite possibly the vast desert area surrounding Yucca Valley.

While I was surveying the area using Google Earth, I noticed that the latest imagery for the area was dated 9 March 2013 - more than one month *after* the disappearance. Since the target is a vehicle, it could quite possibly be visible from "eye-level" altitudes of about 1,000' - cars on the highway are clearly visible, and the color of the vehicle is easily distinguishable too.

This could theoretically enable a "virtual" air-search - hundreds of square miles could possibly be "searched" from one's desktop. I've searched the mountains close to the area in this manner and located some vehicles, but none fitting the description of the missing vehicle.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else would be interested in "searching" in this way, the search area is now far too large for me to cover personally. It would be really cool to see a case "solved" using Google Earth - probably a first in my understanding.

Anyone see any problem with this methodology? Anyone willing to help?

Search continues for missing Yucca Valley woman
    54 year old Carla Reyes went missing on Sunday February 3rd

She drove away in her maroon colored 2002 Mitsubishi Galant, 4 door sedan, with California license plate number of 5NOL847. The car has damage to the front bumper and the left rear panel.

http://www.kesq.com/news/Search-cont...z/-/index.html

Sounds like the Google Earth idea might be worth looking into. (Though it might like looking for a needle in a haystack.) Unfortunately, I'm horrible at using Google Earth. Is there some way you could create a grid pattern for people to work off of?

Wanted to add that she was mentioned in the Martha "Marti" Myers thread. She disappeared from Castaic, but was found in the desert near California City. People were talking about a number of other missing person cases from that general area. See this post where Carla was mentioned: Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased CA - Martha "Marti" Myers, 59, Castaic, 5 Aug 2013
    Last edited by KateB; 04-29-2015 at 08:17 AM. Reason: repair url tag.
    Please be aware that what I type is my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireNC View Post
    Sounds like the Google Earth idea might be worth looking into. (Though it might like looking for a needle in a haystack.) Unfortunately, I'm horrible at using Google Earth. Is there some way you could create a grid pattern for people to work off of?

Wanted to add that she was mentioned in the Martha "Marti" Myers thread. She disappeared from Castaic, but was found in the desert near California City. People were talking about a number of other missing person cases from that general area. See this post where Carla was mentioned: Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased CA - Martha "Marti" Myers, 59, Castaic, 5 Aug 2013
    The coordinated grid effort is kind of what I was thinking about, not sure how to go about it though - we're in uncharted territory here - let me think about it.

We are definitely looking for a needle in a haystack, but right now no one's even looking. There are very strong parallels with the Marti Myers case which reinforces my suspicion that the car may be located in a remote area.

Still, vehicles are clearly visible in GE so locating her vehicle is possible, even if it's very improbable - so i'm going to keep trying this approach.

I would be interested in helping on a google map search. I'm not terribly familiar with google earth, but I'm pretty adept with a computer and a fast learner

Does anyone know why she was taking a pillow and blanket? Was this a planned trip? How do they know she took these things?

Their search desperately continues.

https://m.facebook.com/FindCarlaReye...FindCarlaReyes

My heart aches for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JMO.

:bananalama:

One year after her disappearance, search continues for missing Yucca Valley woman Carla Ruth Reyes
    Missing Yucca Valley woman disappeared without a trace, Sunday February 3rd, 2013
    POSTED: 12:00 AM PST Feb 03, 2014
    YUCCA VALLEY, Calif. - "We are lost and we don't know where to look. I miss her. We love her, and I just wish we had a lead."
    Crystal Sunday spoke those words as she tried to fight back tears while she talked about her missing mother, Carla Ruth Reyes.
    "My mom loved us, and it is hard for us to know she is not celebrating life with us," said Crystal.
    video and more at link.

Could this be her she wore similar T-Shirts to this Jane Doe https://identifyus.org/en/cases/12250 http://www.facebook.com/FindCarlaReyes/photos_stream

http://www.hidesertstar.com/news/art...3b257919f.html

Sunday first noticed something was wrong when her mother didn’t show up to her aunt’s house for the Super Bowl. “At 8, I got a hold of her boyfriend and he said she had left that morning at 7,” she recalled. “I said, ‘Something’s wrong,’ because we had contacted all her friends. While I was talking to her boyfriend, my partner made the call (to police) to see how quickly we could make the call for a missing person.”

During the first 12 weeks of Reyes’ disappearance, Sunday said much of the search attempt was conducted by the family. It wasn’t until October 2013 when Detective Cory Emon took the case that she felt authorities had deemed her mother’s disappearance urgent. Sunday said Emon even carried around information about Reyes while searching for Erin Corwin.

“He’s been an amazing help with all kinds of different things as far as getting the information out there,” she said about the detective. “He cleaned up all the loose ends that the other one didn’t do. It may not have been the same if protocol was followed.”

Quote Originally Posted by killer Chaser View Post
    Could this be her she wore similar T-Shirts to this Jane Doe https://identifyus.org/en/cases/12250 http://www.facebook.com/FindCarlaReyes/photos_stream
    Anyone know if this was checked out?

Quote Originally Posted by Unsolved View Post
    Both Carla and the Jane Doe have DNA samples submitted/completed so "should" be automatic. From the descriptions, the Jane Doe has long wavy hair and Carla has long straight hair. I don't know for sure on either, though.

Carla has been missing for two years now. Poster photo from her family's FB group:

Quote Originally Posted by Unsolved View Post
    I sent it in to the San Bernardino Sheriff they said they would look at it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast