1162 users online (248 members and 914 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MS - Biloxi, WhtFem Skeletal UP11582, 19-25, pigeon-chested, Nov'80

Here's a new listing for a cold-case young female UID whom I've never heard about until now:

NamUs UP # 11582 https://identifyus.org/cases/11582

Unidentified White Female

Found on October 10, 1980 on a Logging Road off of White Plains Rd., Biloxi, Harrison County, Mississippi

Vital Statistics
    Approx Age: 19-25 years
    Height (inches) 62-65, Estimated
    Hair : Medium length light brown hair

Body Condition:
    Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton
    Probable Year of Death: 1979-1980
    Estimated postmortem interval: 18 Months

Medical:
    Deformities: possible pigeon chested and/or humpbacked (may not have been outwardly apparent during life)

Skeletal findings
    1. Open metopic suture
    2. Early fusion of all sternal elements
    3. Strong posterior bowing of the sternum
    4. Moderate Kyphosis
    The last three findings suggest that the individual was somewhat pigeon-chested

Other Distinctive Physical Characteristics
    * Remains had an extra flange for the external pterygoid muscle, which could be caused from playing a wind instrument.
    * Probably right-handed
    * Had no term or near-term children at time of death

Circumstances
    On November 10, 1980 hunters found the skeletal remains of a white female in the woods near a small creek. Anthropologist later determined that she was a white female, 5'2"-5'5", and had been in the woods approximately 3-18 months prior to discovery. Cause and manner of death are unknown but homicide is strongly suspected. Facial reconstruction available..

Identifiers:
    Fingerprints: Not available
    Dentals:

Upper (R to L, 01-16) F F F N N NO NO NO NO NO NO F F F F N
    Lower (R to L, 32-17) N F N N N NO NO NO NO NO NO N F F F N

DNA: Not Available

The teeth look very similar to Arrilla Naomi Webb-Vaul's teeth:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...l_arrilla.html

Her height (61") is a little low.

But her age (23) is within range (19-25).
    She is missing from an adjacent state.
    The timeline (19 months) is pretty close to the estimated pm interval (18 months).
    She had no children (as indicated in her divorce record - Source: Ancestry.com)

ETA:

Here's a photo from her Sophomore yearbook (1972 Friendswood TX High School). I don't see any indication of a pigeon chest.

Last edited by CarlK90245; 09-16-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scmom View Post
    Maybe. Unfortunately, there isn't a really good view of her teeth.

Oh my gosh......under DNA it says......Unable to locate remains at this time. That is certainly going to make it a little more difficult.......
    Debora Sue Lowe - Age 13, missing from Pompano, FL since February 29, 1972 (Leap Year)
    Missing Child Haunts Family Nearly 40 Years Later - 9/19/2011
    White Female
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Brown
    Height: 5’6″
    Weight: 125 lbs
    Debbie is believed to have been a victim of the serial killer Gerard John Schaefer Jr. He was convicted of only two murders in the 1970s but is believed to be responsible for the murders and disappearances of many other girls and young women in the 60s and 70s, including Wendy Stevenson, Peggy Rahn ,Carmen Hallock, Pamela Nater and Nancy Leichner in 1966.

• Everything I write is JMHO and NO OFFENSE is INTENDED

I talked to Helen at LSU this morning by telephone. She says that they have been unable to locate identifiers of any kind for Arrilla Webb-Vaul. There was supposed to be a "clump of hair" that belonged to her, but when they located it, there was only a single strand, and they were unable to extract any DNA from it.

Furthermore, as far as I can tell, she has no children, no siblings, and her parents are likely deceased. I found a woman listed in Ancestry who might be her maternal aunt, but she is likely deceased too. The best that we can probably hope for is to locate any descendants of that maternal aunt, who would be able to provide a mtDNA-compatible FRS.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 02-26-2014 at 02:29 PM.

This won't help to ID the decedant, but I wonder if she was a victim of Samuel McDowell aka Sam Little. He's a serial killer who was recently arrested in Kentucky, and was a suspect in the 1982 murder of Melinda LaPree in Pascagoula, MS. Her remains were found about 30 miles from the site of the Jane Doe's remains. Two women accused him of strangling them in 1980 and 1981. The Pascagoula detective on the case also has mentioned remains found in 1977 as possibly being a Little victim.
    The suspected serial killer first showed up in Pascagoula in 1977, Versiga said, and local investigations discovered at least 2 women who claimed Little had attacked and strangled them in 1980 and 1981.
    "So he was here in '77, we did have skeletal remains found in '77 we don't know if those are his or not we have to look at that. It's been unsolved," said Versiga, "They were found about four or five months after he left here."
    http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi..._heats_up.html

http://www.fox10tv.com/news/local/co...erial-killings

CA CA/MS/FL/AL + 20 - SUSPECT: Samuel McDowell aka Samuel Little - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Last edited by KateB; 04-28-2015 at 09:35 AM. Reason: repair url tag.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    I talked to Helen at LSU this morning by telephone. She says that they have been unable to locate identifiers of any kind for Arrilla Webb-Vaul. There was supposed to be a "clump of hair" that belonged to her, but when they located it, there was only a single strand, and they were unable to extract any DNA from it.

Furthermore, as far as I can tell, she has no children, no siblings, and her parents are likely deceased. I found a woman listed in Ancestry who might be her maternal aunt, but she is likely deceased too. The best that we can probably hope for is to locate any decendants of that maternal aunt, who would be able to provide a mtDNA-compatible FRS.

What about the husband? Also, if you have access to HS yearbook - did she play a musical instrument? Looks like a good possibility to me.

Quote Originally Posted by twocuriouscats View Post
    What about the husband? Also, if you have access to HS yearbook - did she play a musical instrument? Looks like a good possibility to me.
    Her husband passed away in 2009. Her sophomore yearbook is the only one available in Classmates. I couldn't find her in the band section. There are a couple of photos of her in the Spanish Club.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    The teeth look very similar to Arrilla Naomi Webb-Vaul's teeth:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...l_arrilla.html

Her height (61") is a little low.

But her age (23) is within range (19-25).
    She is missing from an adjacent state.
    The timeline (19 months) is pretty close to the estimated pm interval (18 months).
    She had no children (as indicated in her divorce record - Source: Ancestry.com)

ETA:

Here's a photo from her Sophomore yearbook (1972 Friendswood TX High School). I don't see any indication of a pigeon chest.

*BBM - Carl, my husband and son both have 'pigeon chest' (pectus carinatum). Both have learned to dress in a way that camouflages their condition. They have become so good at it that most people are only aware of the condition when they are bare chested. Also, they have a slight 'hump back' (kyphosis) caused from rolling their shoulders forward to offset the appearance of their chest. To most people, they would appear to just have poor posture. Please note that I am not in the medical field; only sharing observations from a personal point of view. Hope this helps.
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Reference to Arrilla Webb-Vaul

I am new to this forum.
    Arrilla Webb-Vaul was my best friend in high school. Every now and then I google her name to see if anything has turned up with her missing. So this is new. It is really nice to see that she has not been forgotten.

Having known her so well, I can tell you she did not play in the band and never played a wind instrument. Her posture was straight and I have no recollection of her having any chest abnormality. If she did, she hid it really well.

While I look at the teeth comparison, and they seem similar, I am not positive they are the same. I pulled my senior yearbook, and have no clear picture of her smile in there to compare. I need to locate my box of high school pictures to see if I have any other ones that might help. I also have pictures my brother took of her at her wedding and he might have taken a close up.

Her mother was June and her father was Richard Webb (first name might have been John but I remember her mom calling him Richard). Her grandmother lived with them, and her name was Bertha. I know her mother passed away in 1988. Her father called me to let me know. At that time, they lived in Brookshire, Texas. I have no idea what happened to her father since then.

Arrilla was an only child.

I think about my dear friend often, and miss her dearly. I am thankful for those of you who continue to search.

Quote Originally Posted by eemaggie78 View Post
    I am new to this forum.
    Arrilla Webb-Vaul was my best friend in high school. Every now and then I google her name to see if anything has turned up with her missing. So this is new. It is really nice to see that she has not been forgotten.

Having known her so well, I can tell you she did not play in the band and never played a wind instrument. Her posture was straight and I have no recollection of her having any chest abnormality. If she did, she hid it really well.

While I look at the teeth comparison, and they seem similar, I am not positive they are the same. I pulled my senior yearbook, and have no clear picture of her smile in there to compare. I need to locate my box of high school pictures to see if I have any other ones that might help. I also have pictures my brother took of her at her wedding and he might have taken a close up.

Her mother was June and her father was Richard Webb (first name might have been John but I remember her mom calling him Richard). Her grandmother lived with them, and her name was Bertha. I know her mother passed away in 1988. Her father called me to let me know. At that time, they lived in Brookshire, Texas. I have no idea what happened to her father since then.

Arrilla was an only child.

I think about my dear friend often, and miss her dearly. I am thankful for those of you who continue to search.
    Welcome to WS; here is the link to her post , I'm going to copy your post over
    Last edited by KateB; 04-28-2015 at 09:36 AM. Reason: repair url tags.

Investigators continue to identify two women 33 years later

http://www.wlox.com/story/24708496/i...33-years-later
    No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

We are all one poor choice from being a subject on this forum. Think twice.

Is it just me or is the title of that article just very, very silly?

Thanks for the update, MM!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast