GUILTY Australia - George Gerbic, 66, found dismembered, Gympie, QLD, 19 Sept 2013

Strangeworld

Reaction score
http://www.news.com.au/national-new...orth-of-brisbane/story-fnii5v6w-1226723215476

A PERSON found dead next to a road in southeast Queensland was likely murdered, police say.

Rural firefighters found a body on the side of Cedar Pocket Road at Cedar Pocket, about 10km east of Gympie, after attending to a blaze in the area on Thursday night.

Det Insp Briese would not confirm reports the body was decapitated with just a torso found.

The body is believed to be male but is yet to be identified.

Det Insp Briese would not be drawn on whether the death was linked to criminal activity in the area or if the fire was an attempt to destroy evidence.

Oh dear - Strangeworld posts on a strange case, which is strangely coincidental to my researching torso murders today....

How strange. =P

I should think the fire probably isn't a coincidence.

Oh dear - Strangeworld posts on a strange case, which is strangely coincidental to my researching torso murders today....

How strange. =P

I should think the fire probably isn't a coincidence.

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh: Love it!!

Seriously, how creepy! I wonder if anyone on here knows about the supposed crime in the area? I might have to do some digging this arvo...

http://www.gympietimes.com.au/news/body-found-cedar-pocket-police-establish-crime-sce/2026826/

Cadaver dog called to scene after grisly body discovery

Wide Bay District Detective Inspector David Briese said the remains were found in the middle of the fire, believed to have been connected with the death.

"We are treating the fire and the body as linked incidents," Det Insp Briese said at a press conference outside Gympie Police Station this morning.

Det Insp Briese said it was believed the deceased had not been dead for long and probably died yesterday.

He has called on anyone with information to come forward.

"We are very keen for members of the public with any information to pass it on by ringing Gympie Police Station (5480 1111) or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000," Insp Briese said.

"We would particularly like anyone who was in the area between 4pm and 7pm yesterday to come forward.

Darren Curtis (@DarrenCurtis9)
20/09/13 3:25 PM
Police are keeping an open mind about the motive behind the discovery of a headless body @ Gympie @9NewsBrisbane pic.twitter.com/ma024lENVT

Sent from my iPod

Marissa Calligeros (@marissa_sc)
20/09/13 3:49 PM
Cadaver dog is searching for human remains where body, believed to be decapitated, was found near Gympie last night @brisbanetimes

Darren Curtis (@DarrenCurtis9)
20/09/13 3:44 PM
Police are scanning missing persons reports after a headless body was found near Gympie after a fire. @9NewsBrisbane pic.twitter.com/XmwQW0MlLN

http://www.gympietimes.com.au/news/gympie-police-station-precinct-is-crime-hot-spot/1925962/

Gympie police station precinct is a top crime hot spot

Bit of an insight into Gympie crime.

That's a bit of a deceptive/dramatic headline - they are calling the actual station (and this is the only station in the actual town of Gympie - other smaller towns in the region would have their own smaller stations) a top hotspot in the Gympie region. From that same article:

... the figures show our thousands of residents and many thousands more visitors form a relatively non-violent society, with 48 assaults (an offence which can range from something causing grievous bodily harm to a poke in the ribs or even a gesture that forces someone to avoid a feared assault).

And that was over a 3 month period. This is in my neck of the woods, and yes, a crime of this nature is extremely unusual in this area. No local information to pass on about the crime itself as yet though - I think everyone is in shock really.

That's a bit of a deceptive/dramatic headline - they are calling the actual station (and this is the only station in the actual town of Gympie - other smaller towns in the region would have their own smaller stations) a top hotspot in the Gympie region. From that same article:

And that was over a 3 month period. This is in my neck of the woods, and yes, a crime of this nature is extremely unusual in this area. No local information to pass on about the crime itself as yet though - I think everyone is in shock really.

Totally agree catswhiskers about the headline. I was just curious why the initial news reports said they were unsure if it related to crime in the area - wondering what sort of crime they were referring to.

Yes that was a story in the local newspaper - injecting a bit of drama I think. Honestly, my first reaction was that it could be drug and or bikie related. Not because I am in the know at all, but I don't think that sort of crime is absolutely unheard of in the area (minus the murder aspect). Gympie apparently has it's share of drug related crime, burglary etc., but heck - I've been known to be too tired to get up and lock my back door at night, and I consider myself a bit of a scaredy cat. I don't get the impression that most locals are terribly worried about violent crime, so this is really out of the ordinary.

MEDIA ALERT: Press conference regarding Operation Lima Sea at Gympie Police Station, 1.30pm. Call Police Media for details.

QPS Media Unit (@QPSmedia)
21/09/13 11:30 AM

Did you see a car pulled over on the side of Cedar Pocket Road between 5 & 7pm on Thursday night? fb.me/1MipMKC7D

QPS Media Unit (@QPSmedia)
21/09/13 11:42 AM

Update 2: Operation Lima Sea, Cedar Pocket

September 21, 2013 at 11:41 am

Police investigating the discovery of a body of an adult male located at Cedar Pocket on Thursday night are appealing for public assistance.

Detective Inspector Bruce NcNab said police would like to speak with anyone who may have witnessed suspicious behaviour in the area.

“We are particularly interested in anyone who may have seen a vehicle stopped along the side of Cedar Pocket Road between 5pm & 7pm on Thursday night,” he said.

“Detectives in the investigation centre are continuing with the process of attempting to identify the man, including sifting through missing persons reports.

“We are asking members of the public who are unsure of the current whereabouts of family or friends and are concerned for their welfare in the to call Crime Stoppers.”

A crime scene has been established and police and the State Emergency Service are continuing to search the area surrounding Cedar Pocket Road today.
http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/gympie/2013/09/21/update-2-operation-lima-sea-cedar-pocket/

Police are appealing for information about a car stopped on the side of the road near where a man's charred body was found at Cedar Pocket on Thursday evening.
They are urging anyone who may have seen a stationary car on the side of Cedar Pocket Road, near Gympie, between 5pm and 7pm on Thursday to contact police.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...edar-pocket-20130921-2u6ah.html#ixzz2fVeolPqN

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YliGKz9j9fc&feature=c4-overview&list=UU5T7D-Dh1eDGtsAFCuwv_Sw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YliGKz9j9fc&feature=c4-overview&list=UU5T7D-Dh1eDGtsAFCuwv_Sw[/ame]

Police looking for a murder weapon at a waterhole near Gympie, where a decapitated man's body was found. pic.twitter.com/gDh2sIDWDx

Nine News Brisbane (@9NewsBrisbane) 22/09/13 11:39 AM

BUuxUS2CIAIg8RY.jpg

QldFire (@QldFire)
22/09/13 2:54 PM

If you see an unattended fire, call Triple Zero (000). #PrepareActSurvive #qldfire

I think if it wasn't bush fire season, the victim wouldn't have been found so quickly.

Just creepy - I know there are a few popular creeks and waterholes around the area that locals visit with their kids to escape the heat (and it's been bloody hot here already in the last week or so).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back