IL - Chicago -11 people, including 3-year-old, shot at South Side park

Peliman

Reaction score
Eleven people, including a 3-year-old child, were shot at a Chicago park in the Back of the Yards neighborhood tonight, authorities said.

The shootings appeared to have taken place on a basketball court on the 51st Street side of Cornell Square Park near Wood Street. Ambulances were still responding about half an hour after the shootings took place, as injured people were still being brought out of the park on stretchers. About 60 police officers were on the scene.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-in-south-side-attack-20130919,0,352520.story

This is absolute MADNESS! :stormingmad:

Sending love to those who have died or been injured and their loved ones xo

Our thoughts are with you all over there.....2 in one week!!!!!

But I have to comment and I really hope I don't offend.

Guys something has to be done!!! This is crazy now. But I really don't know what you are going to do as I think it is a case of the gate has been opened and the bull is out...

I have lived in London, Berlin and Sydney and it is very uncommon to hear of people being shot.

Saying that parts of Sydney and a place called the Gold Coast (sought of a cross between your LA and Miami) are getting quite scary as the bikie gangs have all been taken over by guys from the middle east or middle eastern backgrounds... and this is how crazy it is: some are serbs, some are croations, and some muslims, some not the guns are coming from the middle east, so its like their hatred of each other has spilled over here and continuing within these bikie gangs.

So we are all learning from you however, there have been groups that are calling for the loosening of the gun laws here, the majority of people have said a very loud no, so I am hoping that these bikies just stick to shooting each other.

I do understand why everyone feels the need to have a gun there, its like a vicous cycle, because all the crims and bad people have them, therefore the good and decent need to be protected and it is only a gun that will beat a gun.

So like I said before I really do not know how this problem is going to be fixed, because there is no way people are going to give up their guns and make themselves vulnerable......does anyone have a solution?????

Chicago Fire Department officials said the child was in critical condition.

CNN quoted Chicago Police officer Ron Gaines as saying the child was shot in the ear with the bullett exiting through his mouth.

The 15 year olds are in a stable condition, Gaines said, while four other victims were in a serious condition.

All the victims were transported to hospitals but are alive, deputy fire chief James Mungovan said. Police do not yet have anyone in custody

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...threeyearold-boy/story-e6frfkui-1226723648692

More from Marlywings story link.

The Chicago Sun Times quoted 22-year-old local resident Julian Harris as saying that "dreadlocked gunmen in a gray sedan" fired at him at the corner of Wood and 51st street.

"They've been coming round here looking for people to shoot every night - just gang-banging stuff. It's what they do," the paper quoted Harris saying.

The shooting comes as Chicago struggles to stem an epidemic of gang violence that helped push the city's murder rate up 16 percent to 506 people last year.

The Chicago Tribune reported that a total of eighteen people, including the 13 in the Cornell Park incident, were shot in the space of four hours in Chicago on Thursday night.

13 people, including 3-year-old boy, shot at South Side park

By Peter Nickeas and Jeremy GornerTribune reporters
6:34 a.m. CDT, September 20, 2013

Thirteen people, including a 3-year-old boy who suffered a gunshot wound to the head, were shot at a Chicago park in the Back of the Yards neighborhood Thursday night, authorities said.

Ten adults and the 3-year-old were transported by Fire Department ambulances after the attack in the 1800 block of West 51st Street in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, said Fire Department Deputy District Chief James Mungovan at the scene. A 12th victim was believed to have driven himself to Little Company of Mary Hospital in Evergreen Park, a source said, citing preliminary information.

Police said later a total of 13 people were shot, the boy, two teens, and 10 adults, with the boy the most seriously wounded. The boy suffered a gunshot wound to the head at an ear that exited through his mouth, and was in critical condition at Mount Sinai Hospital, police said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-in-south-side-attack-20130919,0,352520.story

Good question Revampz, well stated.

Public Enemies: Social Media Is Fueling Gang Wars in Chicago

“Chief Keef is an ABC rapper, saying little bitty words,” says Deandre, one of the young men. “got a 30,’” he goes on, his deep, raspy voice turned into a mocking drawl. “got a cobra.’ That’s all he can do. He out there just gangbanging.” (A “cobra” is a .357 Magnum, and a “30,” or “30-poppa,” is an easily concealed handgun with a 30-round clip.)

Last year more than 500 people were murdered in Chicago, a greater number than in far more populous cities such as New York and Los Angeles. The prevalence of gun crimes in Chicago is due in large part to a fragmentation of the gangs on its streets: There are now an estimated 70,000 members in the city, spread out among a mind-boggling 850 cliques, with many of these groupings formed around a couple of street corners or a specific school or park. Young people in these areas are like young people everywhere, using technology to coordinate with their friends and chronicle their every move. But in neighborhoods where shootings are common, the use of online tools has turned hazardous, as gang violence is now openly advertised and instigated online.

Way more insight at the link

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/09/gangs-of-social-media/all/

guns are easy - pull the trigger and run (or speed away in a car)

much easier than stabbing or punching or strangling someone to death

you can kill from a distance and you can also distance yourself emotionally since you don't have to see the pain on someone's face or the blood coming out or hear their last gasp of air

this is why they are the chosen murder method for many IMO

what country has the lowest crime rate, but yet, still has the internet? I need to move............

what country has the lowest crime rate, but yet, still has the internet? I need to move............

I think Iceland has the lowest murder rate. Not sure about other crimes. You can move up here to Canada ... not the lowest but it's relatively safe. I don't know anyone who feels the need to have a gun. The only people who have guns here are cops & robbers (& hunters).

The level of gun crime in the US is insane and disturbing.

I feel sorry for the victims. And a 3 year old?! Really? Sick.

(CBS) – Gov. Pat Quinn says he would consider using state resources to help combat Chicago street violence, but only if city officials want the assistance.

Speaking about this week’s mass shooting in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, Quinn says he’s open to talking with Mayor Emanuel and Police Supt. Gary McCarthy about supplementing Chicago law enforcement with state police or the Illinois National Guard.

“It has to be done in a coordinated fashion with the local law enforcement, with their full cooperation,” Quinn told reporters Saturday.

He said he’s had no specific conversations, but noted state police are helping patrol in East St. Louis, another city that has its challenges with violent crime.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/09...-national-guard-state-police-to-help-chicago/

Japan, I think. I know Tokyo has the lowest crime rate of any major city, so I would assume Japan overall has a low crime rate.

Breaking tonight, details to follow.

Chuck Goudie
‏@ChuckGoudieABC7
NET ALERT: TWO men charged in #Chicago mass shooting of 13 people in a city park. Men charged are 20 years old and a 21 years old.

Two people were charged Monday evening in the Thursday's basketball court shooting that injured 13 people, including a 3-year-old boy.

Bryon Champ, 21, and Kewane Gatewood, 20, both faces felony charges in connection with the shooting at Cornell Square Park near 51st and Wood.

Each man faces three counts of attempted murder and three counts of aggravated battery with a firearm.

Earlier in the day, Supt. Garry McCarthy told reporters that arrests will be made "in the near future" thanks to what he called great cooperation from the community.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...ck-of-the-Yards-Shooting-Spree-224871622.html

In shootings following Thursday's attack, at least 25 people were shot, five of them fatally, in Chicago between Friday and Sunday, police said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford
Back