734 users online (82 members and 652 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    up north
    Posts
    30,200

    Parents sue over daughter found dead in Cecil Hotel water tank

    http://www.dailynews.com/general-new...tel-water-tank

    By City News Service
    POSTED: 09/20/13, 3:56 PM PDT

    LOS ANGELES — The parents of a young woman whose body was found in a water tank on the roof of a downtown hotel in February are suing the establishment’s owners.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    up north
    Posts
    30,200

    Parents Sue Over Daughter Found Dead in Hotel Water Tank

    http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...224713422.html

    By Jason Kandel | Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 | Updated 4:49 AM PDT

    <snipped>
    Lam's death was was ruled accidental due to drowning, according to the Los Angeles County coroner. The report also listed "bipolar disorder" under other significant conditions.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,235
    Given that it is a wrongful death lawsuit against the hotel, it is clear that Elisa's parents do not believe that she was murdered, or else negligence would not be an issue. Since they do not believe that she was murdered, I hope that people can refrain from presenting murder theories from here on in. They have accepted the coroner's report.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Montjoy View Post
    Given that it is a wrongful death lawsuit against the hotel, it is clear that Elisa's parents do not believe that she was murdered, or else negligence would not be an issue. Since they do not believe that she was murdered, I hope that people can refrain from presenting murder theories from here on in. They have accepted the coroner's report.
    Of course that's not true, and won't be until the family speaks publicly about it. A wrongful death lawsuit in this case could just as easily be directed at the Cecil's lax security standards, lack of alarms on the roof, ease of access to the rooftop water wanks, etc. In no way does this lawsuit preclude them from believing that the Hotel was responsible for allowing someone relative ease in carrying out a murder. This lawsuit unfortunately does not carry much weight as far as supporting any of our speculations in one way or another. You look at some of the comments on that that NBC story and clearly there are many that still support the theory of homicide.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickfalzone View Post
    You look at some of the comments on that that NBC story and clearly there are many that still support the theory of homicide.
    With respect, there are 9 comments there, and there is only one person who is proposing a homicide theory, and he posts three times. I cannot see how that supports the idea that many believe it was homicide.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1

    elisa lam's parents vs cecil

    well I maybe wrong......if the case is closed or unsolved IMO....if the family sues the hotel this reopens a "new" case with a jury and Im guessing a smart lawyer .....who knows the right questions to ask didnt Ron goldmans family do that when oj was found innocent?? its not about the $$ its about justice and answers about what happened to their daughter

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickfalzone View Post
    Of course that's not true, and won't be until the family speaks publicly about it. A wrongful death lawsuit in this case could just as easily be directed at the Cecil's lax security standards, lack of alarms on the roof, ease of access to the rooftop water wanks, etc. In no way does this lawsuit preclude them from believing that the Hotel was responsible for allowing someone relative ease in carrying out a murder. This lawsuit unfortunately does not carry much weight as far as supporting any of our speculations in one way or another. You look at some of the comments on that that NBC story and clearly there are many that still support the theory of homicide.
    I am with Nickfalzone on this one. A wrongful death lawsuit puts pressure on the hotel to find answers. While I am able to take the accidental death at face value, there are so many unanswered questions that were not addressed by anyone. Not the police, not the hotel, no witness came forward from the hotel specifically to say they saw Eliza acting strangely or normally. No additional footage has been released, nor have I heard a public statement from the hotel saying they are conducting their own investigation to close security gaps and improve safety for these young traveling youths. It has all slid very quietly, and completely under the rug. Unfortunately, someone will keep tripping over the rather large lump until it is dealt with. Good for her family.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,396
    Their lawsuit could be about the fact the hatches on the tanks did not have locks. By code, they should. If the hatches had locks, it would be much more difficult for Elisa to get into the tank no matter how she managed to get in there (which is still unknown even if you 100 percent accept 'accidental').

    ETA
    I do not know what happened to Elisa Lam. All I know is she was seen alive in the hotel. Then, she went missing. Then, she was found drowned in the tank. How exactly that all transpired, I do not know. To accept accident that she got into 100 percent by herself the best I can think of is she had a fire escape outside her window* and she climbed it. Then she did some more climbing and fell into the tank. *I do not know if this is true at all, but it would explain why no one saw and why the dogs didn't track her.
    Last edited by December; 09-23-2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: eta added

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    7
    The hotel is going to look at it's insurance company and let it decide most likely. Insurance company probably has around 30 days (can probably ask for more from the judge) to give a response whether it wants to fight the case. I'm sure they'll look long and hard into Elisa's medical past. My gut instinct tells me this one will be settled relatively quickly, behind closed doors. As much as curiosity would like to see more of her history dug up, my morals lie it's probably best for that not to happen so the family can move on.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,396
    I think maybe Elisa's family wants more information from the hotel and maybe they will get it.

    I personally don't need her information to be dug up or anything. I just think there are things the hotel was being awfully quiet about because they were in violation of code. Without locks on the hatches, they endangered not only Elisa but everyone in the hotel.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Body-Salt Lake City Soul-the Ocean
    Posts
    177
    The judge threw out the case.
    MOO



Similar Threads

  1. The History and Mystique of the Cecil Hotel
    By bessie in forum Elisa Lam
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-14-2013, 01:23 AM
  2. Hotel Cecil Rooftop K-9 Search
    By sillybilly in forum Elisa Lam
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 09-07-2013, 06:36 AM
  3. Hotel Cecil Rooftop Access Discussion
    By smeinzer in forum Elisa Lam
    Replies: 295
    Last Post: 09-06-2013, 02:01 PM
  4. CA - Rapper Pimp C found dead in LA hotel
    By dark_shadows in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 02-07-2008, 06:01 AM

Tags for this Thread