UK Guide dog saves baby, pushes pram from path of careering car in Lancashire

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Guide dog saved baby by pushing pram away from car. (Telegraph)

---
The dog managed to wrench herself free from the grip of her owner Jessica Cowley, who is registered blind, after she spotted the car heading for the pram, which had one-year-old Jacob in.

Jet, a black Labrador who has been a guide dog for five years, pushed the pram out of the way of the car, which then hit Mrs Cowley, knocking her to the ground.

Mrs Cowley said Jet had not been specifically trained for this type of rescue but was very protective of her young son.

Mrs Cowley, 28, said: "Just after we stepped off the kerb to cross the entrance of the car park, I heard a screeching of a car and it banged into me sending me flying.

"Just before it hit me I felt Jet let go. She is a strong dog and she pulled out of my hand and actually pushed the pram out of the way.

"The pram toppled over but Jacob was out of safety and even while I was lying face down on the ground, I was happy to know he was safe.

"She reacted really quickly, and she's just amazing.
---
“She was worried about me but once she had licked my face and checked I was conscious she was fine.

“She loves Jacob and thinks of him as her own. What she did was extremely brave and I am very proud of her.”
---
much more at the link, with pictures of mother and child and Jet the hero Lab

Just wow! Jacob seemed to quickly assess the situation and chose to help the baby who was in the most danger and direct path of the car.

Jacob is the baby, Jet is the dog, a female dog.

Great story! Thanks for sharing....

I used to foster future assistance and guide dogs. They are sooooo amazing!

Several years ago, a woman with an assistance dog (raised and trained by Paws With A Cause....who I raised for) was rescued by her dog when her mobile home caught fire. The dog went back in for the woman's husband. Most days, the husband was in the tv room at that particular time of day. The husband was not there that day. The dog perished in the fire.

No greater love....

Great story but what does 'registered blind mean? She's not blind, she's wearing glasses and she spotted the car.

Great story but what does 'registered blind mean? She's not blind, she's wearing glasses and she spotted the car.
Somewhere in the article I think it said she has tunnel vision.

"registered blind" is probably the UK equivilent to our term "legally blind". It doesn't mean that the individual has zero vision, but rather that the individual has a determined amount of visual impairment.

Labradors are such good dogs. This one is exceptionally smart. To break loose from her owner to save the baby is just awesome. It amazes me that the dog was able to do more than most people. By the way I'm asking everyone for their positive thoughts for my dog Athena who had surgery on her ear. She's doing find so far but has to wear the very uncomfortable cone or what I call a radar tower on her head, and she hates it. Her ear swelled up for unknown reasons. She had to have her ear drained and so far it looks o.k. In about 7 days she gets her stitches out.

Labradors are such good dogs. This one is exceptionally smart. To break loose from her owner to save the baby is just awesome. It amazes me that the dog was able to do more than most people. By the way I'm asking everyone for their positive thoughts for my dog Athena who had surgery on her ear. She's doing find so far but has to wear the very uncomfortable cone or what I call a radar tower on her head, and she hates it. Her ear swelled up for unknown reasons. She had to have her ear drained and so far it looks o.k. In about 7 days she gets her stitches out.
Best Wishes to Athena, and to you!

Amazing story! What a brilliant dog!

Jet has those sad beagle eyes, like those paintings from the '70's of children and pets.

il_170x135.426787479_65w7.jpg

Get well soon Athena! We are pulling for you. :grouphug:

Labs are great! At one time I had a giant yellow...a medium sized black and a tiny chocolate...

I hate the radar head :facepalm: How is Athena doing today?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back