1445 users online (316 members and 1129 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

NY - Aissante Diallo 3, dies inside sofa bed, mom's BF charged, Sept 2013

http://www.courierpress.com/news/201...sofa-bed-dies/

NEW YORK — A New York City man has been arrested in connection with the death of a 3-year-old girl who got caught inside a sofa bed.

Fifty-year-old Mohamed Barry was charged with endangering the welfare of a child. Police said he was supposed to be watching Aissante Diallo and her 10-year-old sister when the accident occurred Monday at a Harlem apartment.

The boyfriend as usual...only stepped out for 10 min........

Riiight.

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

I'm not familiar with sofa beds.

Do they ever spontaneously close up like that? I can't wrap my head around how that could happen.

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ocates-2296980

This article actually has a picture of the sofa bed. I always wonder why UK news has more info on a case than we do? I was thinking it was the kind of bed that folds into the wall before I saw this. I think the BF was gone for more than 10 min. If he was nearby why couldn't the 10 year old call him?

Police are still waiting to see if any charges will be filed until they hear back from the medical examiner's office about the official cause of death.

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Pix of The Sofa Bed or A Sofa Bed???

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/three-year-old-girl-new-york-suffocates-2296980

This article actually has a picture of the sofa bed. I always wonder why UK news has more info on a case than we do?
    I was thinking it was the kind of bed that folds into the wall before I saw this.
    I think the BF was gone for more than 10 min. If he was nearby why couldn't the 10 year old call him?
    Reader -
    I'm looking at linked pix w. caption: "The girl became trapped in the sofa bed at her family's home..."
    That photo does not appear to be taken in any home or apt., but
    it appears to be a product shot from a website or catalog, etc.
    Doesn't even say ' a sofa bed similar to one shown in the photo.'

Per article, "Her sister was able to squeeze herself out of the furniture but Aissante was caught inside and suffocated to death."

Regardless of the exact design or style of the sofa bed, IIRC 3 y/o was trapped in sofa bed but 10 y/o got out.
    Was 10 y/o strong enough to release the mechanism keeping the toddler in it?
    (In the two sofa beds I wrangled years ago, folding and unfolding took adult strength.)
    Did 10 y/o recognize danger to little sister?
    If she recognized danger, did she cry for help from 'mum's boyfriend'?
    If so, where was he?

Not blaming older sister.
    An adult was supposed to be caring for them. Like reader asked - gone only 10 min?
    Was being trapped in sofa bed the actual cause of suffocation?
    Sad and puzzling.