VA - 7th-grader suspended for playing with airsoft gun in own yard

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/2...with-airsoft-gun-in-own-yard/?intcmp=trending

A seventh-grade student in Virginia Beach, Va., has been suspended from school for playing with an airsoft gun with a friend in his front yard while waiting for the school bus.........

In a letter obtained by WAVY.com, school principal Matthew Delaney found that the "children were firing pellet guns at each other, and at people near the bus stop." Delaney states in the letter that one child "was only 10 feet from the bus stop, and ran from the shots being fired, but was still hit."

The school's so-called "zero-tolerance" policy on guns extends to private property, according to the report..........more.....

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/2...with-airsoft-gun-in-own-yard/?intcmp=trending

A seventh-grade student in Virginia Beach, Va., has been suspended from school for playing with an airsoft gun with a friend in his front yard while waiting for the school bus.........

In a letter obtained by WAVY.com, school principal Matthew Delaney found that the "children were firing pellet guns at each other, and at people near the bus stop." Delaney states in the letter that one child "was only 10 feet from the bus stop, and ran from the shots being fired, but was still hit."

The school's so-called "zero-tolerance" policy on guns extends to private property, according to the report..........more.....

That's taking it a bit far, eh what?

How sad... they may have ruined this poor boys life!

Yet when he gets to school he'll get a Common Core math worksheet that asks him how many bullets the pimp needs to kill all 6 Johns that stiffed him.

HOME SCHOOL!

That's taking it a bit far, eh what?

That was a surprise to me about including private property. Was the bus stop right in front of his house? Will be interested how this turns out.

Do not know much about any kind of gun. Can one of those plastic pellets travel as far as they are saying it did?

Yet when he gets to school he'll get a Common Core math worksheet that asks him how many bullets the pimp needs to kill all 6 Johns that stiffed him.

HOME SCHOOL!

Do you have a link to support your assertion about the worksheet, or was this just an opportunity for off-topic political opinions?

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk 4

How exactly does this gun policy work? The news story states that the school has zero-tolerance, for "possession, handling and use of firearm" including on private property. So if a parent wants to teach their kid how to shoot targets or skeet, that's grounds for expulsion? Teach them how to clean a hunting rifle? Really?

I don't at all disagree with them investigating the kid for shooting at people at a bus stop. But that's a separate thing than a gun policy, imo. That investigation shouldn't matter if it was an airsoft, a sling-shot or a bow and arrow. Or a pee-shooter (those things can hurt!).

By the way, he was using a safety net to catch the pellets and he denies shooting at the bus stop, only the kids he was playing with in his yard. What's weird to me is that it was the mother of one of the kids playing in his yard who called it in. Why not go over there and shut it down yourself??? Then talk to the kid's mom about the fact that kids are playing with airsofts in her yard when she's not home to supervise? I do not ever remember any of our parents calling 911 to do the discipline when I was growing up. SMH

Do you have a link to support your assertion about the worksheet, or was this just an opportunity for off-topic political opinions?

Wow, in fact Virginia is one of the four states that has not adopted common core. Interesting...apparently though they do think the children that are a part of their school system belong to the state, not to the parents to make the best decisions for their own children.

A pellet gun is not a real gun. It is ridiculous to compare them.

It seems like this would be something that could be handled with a little less heavy handed DRAMA. If the kid is playing in an inappropriate way, then an adult needs to handle it by... oh, what about trying to talk to his parents?

A pellet gun is not a real gun. It is ridiculous to compare them.

It seems like this would be something that could be handled with a little less heavy handed DRAMA. If the kid is playing in an inappropriate way, then an adult needs to handle it by... oh, what about trying to talk to his parents?
This wasn't even a pellet gun. It was an airsoft gun.

I agree with you.... absolutely no comparison.

This wasn't even a pellet gun. It was an airsoft gun.

I agree with you.... absolutely no comparison.

I'm not sure what an air soft gun is then. What does it shoot?

Not a single thing off topic about the comment.
I can't find the exact article I was really referencing.. ( it was regarding calculating drug profits from crack) But here's one that does include the Pimps.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...ksheet-that-appears-connected-to-common-core/

Zero tolerance and math worksheets...they're both related to school...kind of a stretch, but whatever.

The Blaze...the pinnacle of unbiased reporting...tried to find out more about this story, but just found a bunch of regurgitation of the same story, and only in right-wing publications. Interesting.

Please stay on the topic of the thread... thanks!

I'm not sure what an air soft gun is then. What does it shoot?

they shoot little balls that are softer than bb's ??? (my son has three of them.. he has also shot me in the butt with his from a long range and it hurts.. they may have the word "soft" in there but those little pellets are hard for sure when they come whizzing out of there and are aimed at a body part :twocents:)

oh also December: the guns are mostly brightly colored plastic and some can look like regular guns as well. If the kid was shooting a dark one in pubic I can see why the LEO thought it was something else. :twocents::twocents: (my son has one that looks like a long gun as well.

Do not know much about any kind of gun. Can one of those plastic pellets travel as far as they are saying it did?

I didn't either (googling more everyday) so checked wiki. They are replica guns and look real. They are also being used by some LE and services for training:

Airsoft gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Airsoft guns are replica firearms used in airsoft that fire plastic pellets by way of compressed gas or electric and/or spring-driven pistons. These guns are designed to be non-lethal and to provide realistic replicas.

Depending on the mechanism driving the pellet, an airsoft gun can be operated manually or cycled by either compressed gas such as Green Gas (propane and silicone mix) or CO2, or by compressed air via a spring or an electric motor pulling a piston.........

Airsoft in the past was used almost solely for recreational purposes, but in 2012 GBB airsoft technology became adopted by many federal and state institutions as an extremely affordable and reliable training tool. .........

Airsoft guns shoot plastic pellets at velocities from 30 m/s (98 ft/s) for a low-end spring pistol, to 200 m/s (660 ft/s) for heavily upgraded customized sniper rifles. Most non-upgraded AEGs are in the middle, producing velocities from 90 m/s (300 ft/s) to 120 m/s (390 ft/s)........

Where were his parents? Isn't the first rule about guns is not to aim at anyone? And if you are going to give your child a gun of any sort, don't you first teach responsibility and where it is ok to use them like at tin cans or something? I do not understand the mindset of the parents at all. Suspension from school is probably the last thing this kid needs. Next we will be hearing of the parents suing the school district. JMO

Virginia 7th grader suspended one year for using zombie hunter airsoft gun, but family claims he did not use it on school property

Khalid Caraballo's suspension will be held in abeyance to allow the teen to attend an alternative education program at a different school, a Virginia Beach city public schools official told the Daily News. Khalid might be able to return to Larkspur Middle School following a hearing in January........

"Because students were on their way to or at a school bus stop when they were struck by pellets, the school division has jurisdiction to take disciplinary actions against those students responsible for the disruption," school principal Matthew Delaney said in a statement before the hearing took place. "There is an expectation that all students should be able to travel to and from school in the safest environment possible."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...mily-property-article-1.1465745#ixzz2fqeUKkNm

Airsoft, like paintball was meant to be recreational. Playing with it in his own front yard is NO BUSINESS OF THE SCHOOL DISTRICT.

IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back