Too chichi for me: is this the most unhinged New York Times wedding vows column ever?

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Is This the Most Unhinged New York Times "Vows" Column Ever?. (Gawker)

Sample questions:
2. Ms. Halweil, 36, grew up in New York in a tightknit family of four who loved to spend weekends together ________ in Central Park, watching old Laurel and Hardy movies or surf-casting on Long Island.
A) picnicking by moonlight
B) constructing miniature sundials
C) foraging for elderberries
---
6. When she recounts the accident (the child died and Ms. Halweil was not charged) you can really see her ______________.
A) disconcerting, almost cheeky insouciance
B) sober, naked regret
C) calm, philosophical and open demeanor
13 more at the link above.

The NYT column in question is here.

I just... I'm almost at a loss for words. lol

Three years later, [Mr. De Rosa] opened his own Ashtanga studio, Tapovana, in Sag Harbor. He painted the walls dark red, installed almost-black wood floors and put yellow candles everywhere. “It was like a womb,” he said. “It took you somewhere else.”

I actually read the insufferable article. Five whole minutes of my life I will never get back.

I'm not completely sure what I'm reading or why we are hating on these people.

In an almost plaintive voice, she said: “It was clear sky, clear road. I saw a flash of red coming toward my car.” She swerved but still hit the wagon. “I got out of the car and this really beautiful little girl with pale skin and blue eyes was laying in the road. Her eyes were glazed over. I knew the spirit had left her body.”

Today, she says the accident taught her about fate, her own and the girl’s, but at the time she was devastated.

So what did she learn? That if you drive a car and hit a pedestrian it's probably your fate to live and the pedestrian's fate to die? This bit reads a little like at first she was somewhat sad the girl died but now she that knows better she's happy because the girl's death taught her a valuable lesson in life.

I wonder if some of these sugary wedding columns aren't secretly snarky because the reporter would really rather write about real news than some people that nobody wants to know about.

The New York Times 'Vows' Column at 20: planning meets serendipity. (NYT 18 May 2012)

When the Vows column first appeared two decades ago, it marked a sharp — even startling — break from the traditional coverage of marriages found everywhere, including in this newspaper.

The Times had been reporting on marriages since its original issue in 1851. But the idea behind this column was simple: change the focus from family lineage or Junior League membership to the back story....
---
the rest at the link above

oddball people but I guess that`s what makes the world go `round

I could not read other wedding type pages due to not being a subscriber.
This was a very poorly written, over-wrought short story.

I am not sure why Gawker picked it up and called it a wedding announcement, because it's not. It's Jennifer's ( the author's) personal take on soul mates, yoga and a couple which may not have a lot going for them other than yoga.

I had no clue the NYT had sunk to this level of embellishment. The article was totally without merit and the inclusion of the story of the woman running over a 5 year old is sickening. After reading that part, I could have cared less about her " journey".

I can't get past her drinking vodka in order to bring on labor. There seems to be some kind of disconnect from the real world here.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p
Back