Louis CK on Smartphones. - He's dead on!

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HbYScltf1c"]Louis C.K. Hates Cell Phones - YouTube[/ame]

I hate them and refuse to have the text portion of my cell phone activated. Email is bad enough, texting is just downright rude. If you are sitting with someone and they start texting it's like having someone whisper in someone else's ear in front of you.

I love the point he makes about reading someone's face after making a comment vs. just texting it.

CALL ME! I have a friend who acts like I'm interrupting the most important thing in his life if I call him. I use email instead.

The only good thing, IMO, about smartphones is that you can access the internet easily. It's good for keeping up on news or your friends on Websleuths.

JMO

I understand this completely. I do not text,tweet or use facebook. I hardly use my cell phone and it is an oldschool phone with no camera. I only recently started posting on this forum. I can wait to call people until I get home,hear there voice,the tone. I do not need to let people know what I am doing or thinking every minute of the day nor do I want to know anyone elses. I am one of few people who like to sit and do nothing but think or watch people or look at the scenery.Growing up I was shy and did not talk alot but I listened and observed people.I could tell you more about someone than they new about themselves. Besides driving,it is dangerous to be distracted while walking in a parking lot or a park. You can not be observant of your surroundings if you are always looking down. How do teens not get sore necks and fingers?
Baby's learn about behavior from watching and listening,we continue this as we grow.Without looking people in the eyes someday we will not know how to interact with each other.
I know I sound like an old fart,I really not that old.

I saw the phone BS way too often when I was a hospice CNA and here's a classic example: the nurse had announced the death watch and advised the family to gather, if possible. the grandkids were in their mid to late 20s and during my last visit about 7 or 8 showed up. I was doing a mini bed bath and applying lotion for the dear little thing. she was still smiling and opening her eyes and responding to my voice. when I said "I'm going to wash your face" she tried to lift her chin to expose her throat and when I said "I'm going to put some lotion on your back" she tried to assist in turning over, to make my job easier. *OMG*. my tasks took 20 minutes and I stayed for another 30. during that whole time these so-called family members were standing and sitting around the bed in a semi-circle sending and receiving texts. not one of them spoke to her or stroked her hair or held her hand. they rarely looked up from their phones except to read each other's texts. then one of them got a call and answered it and said "not much, just visiting with Gramma"

(she died about 10 hours later)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back