SARS doctor posts video asking for society to allow doctor assisted death

Snoopster

Reaction score
Dammit!

Dr. Low just died, only 8 days after posting this video, in support of assisted-death.

Who are we to not let someone, who has an terminal illness, not die on their own terms?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/canadian-doctor-donald-low-makes-posthumous-video-plea-for-assisted-suicide/story-e6frg6so-1226727408598

http://youtu.be/q3jgSkxV1rw

I have told my family, if I have a terminal illness, and I am going downhill and am in pain....please, please...simply find a way to end my life. What bothers me is that could be charged criminally. Why should I be forced to live in pain, when I know the end is nigh?

I 100% support the cause for assisted death with dignity for the terminally ill who choose it.

Rest in Peace, Dr. Low.

Always Hv bn 100% for assisted when warranated.

Terry Pratchett is another heartbreaking proponent (UK). Brilliant and hard-working author...who got early onset Alzheimer's. He's been fighting that legal battle ever since.

Dammit!

Dr. Low just died, only 8 days after posting this video, in support of assisted-death.

Who are we to not let someone, who has an terminal illness, not die on their own terms?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...assisted-suicide/story-e6frg6so-1226727408598

http://youtu.be/q3jgSkxV1rw

I have told my family, if I have a terminal illness, and I am going downhill and am in pain....please, please...simply find a way to end my life. What bothers me is that could be charged criminally. Why should I be forced to live in pain, when I know the end is nigh?

If the patient and the family all agree ... let's just say the person is kept comfortable and out of pain at all costs. My mom was petrified of pain and had endured enough!

I know that my mom's orders were 4 mg morphine IV every 1-2 hours as needed. She also had orders for breakthrough painto be given orally.
Her leg pain caused her to holler due to lack of circulation.
Her organs were shutting down.
Her kidneys had failed.
She had the death rattle.

If she was moaning in pain, we wanted her calmed. We promised we would be her voice.

If her pain called for more pain medication than her failing lungs could handle then in the end that is what she needed and wanted.

I am NOT talking about a woman that was walking around having conversation and tea here!

No suicide doctor here.
Pallative care for a dying wife,mother - grandmother.
A caring doctor that allowed her to die with dignity and respected her final wishes. Most importantly he "Did no harm " but delivered her from it.
moo
ETA : she did ask where would Dr. Kevorkian be when she and others like her needed him.
(I think he was in jail. It was 2001)
Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

You can't ask your family to do something like that, people need to take on that responsibility for themselves (unless of course they are paralyzed or otherwise completely incapacitated).

And while I absolutely think it should be legal (it is in Oregon and a few other countries, the person voluntarily drinks a barbiturate cocktail and is unconscious almost immediately followed by death) honestly most terminally ill people could easily do it themselves if they didn't wait until the last minute.

Terminally ill folks typically have access to many strong drugs and this country also allows them to own tools that can do the job efficiently.

You can't ask your family to do something like that, people need to take on that responsibility for themselves (unless of course they are paralyzed or otherwise completely incapacitated).

And while I absolutely think it should be legal (it is in Oregon and a few other countries, the person voluntarily drinks a barbiturate cocktail and is unconscious almost immediately followed by death) honestly most terminally ill people could easily do it themselves if they didn't wait until the last minute.

Terminally ill folks typically have access to many strong drugs and this country also allows them to own tools that can do the job efficiently.

I was referring to the situation where I was not able to do it myself. I watched my mother die a very painful death. She was working one day and in the hospital the next....never to come out again. She endured considerable pain as she continued to deteriorate and was obviously never going to come back out of the hospital. I don't want my family to be dragged through that. Also, if I don't have much brain function and am going to potentially lie there for months or years, why can't I leave a living will that says 'pull to plug'? I wouldn't "be" the person that I am. I would have essentially already left this world. I've lived a wonderful life. I would have no regrets and my family knows that. My family should have to keep visiting me in that state. I want them to have the positive memories of our time together.

Regarding 'having the tools'...well, I don't know anyone who owns a gun and I wouldn't have a clue where to get one. I also don't think I could pull the trigger. Now a drug cocktail....I could. But these kind of drugs are kept very much under control, particularly in a hospital. As Dr. Low suggested, why not give a terminal patient, who has had plenty of time to think about it and has confirmed several times that they want to "go" now, the medication they are asking for.

Also, if I don't have much brain function and am going to potentially lie there for months or years, why can't I leave a living will that says 'pull to plug'? I wouldn't "be" the person that I am. I would have essentially already left this world.

Well that is the purpose of a living will, in the event of a terminal illness or coma or vegatative state you direct that they can stop food/water/machines etc...

You do NOT want to just "tell your family" what you want, you want to put it IN WRITING and make sure someone you really trust has access to the paperwork.

The reason you don't just "tell your family" is because if the SHTF and only ONE family member starts freaking out and can't deal with the idea of mortality/death then in most cases the other family members will feel compelled to "not pull the plug" for an extended period of time to placate the weakest link. Look at the Schiavo case, her husband knew but the mother was adamantly against it and therefore other family members took the mothers side.

As far as an able bodied person not being able to plan a quick and painless demise, sorry but it is very very possible if one puts their mind to it and educates them selves. Drugs and a plastic bag, firearms, automobile exhaust, there are many many tried and true methods as long as one takes precautions to prevent early discovery.

As far as assisted suicide, there are really too many legal reasons the U.S. doesn't condone, but also the fact that we are one of the few countries that "supposedly" values life. At least one of the few countries that is morally taught to value life. IE: we don't hand children grenades to go kill themselves and strangers, etc....

I think doing it for yourself would be the best way. I wouldn't want to risk anyone's medical license. I would want to be sure it appeared accidental to my DD, don't want her living with the pain and torment of why she wasn't good enough for me to stick around. You can save up enough medications, or buy street drugs. You can choose car, gun, knife, or get drunk and drown in the tub. The only issue is that you must be sure that life no longer has any value, not even joy of seeing your children or loved ones, nothing, the pain will never end, or the mind is already too far gone. By the time the mind is too far gone, you can't really make that decision, so scratch that.

A living will should be given to a like minded and trusted friend. I did that. My DD was so terribly torn, hurt, and terrified when I brought it all up. I don't want her having to decide to use the living will. I told her I would respect her decision if she chooses not to. If she chooses not to have me cremated when I go, that is okay to. I only told her that choice as it is cheapest, and I may pay for it in advance if I decide I am staying in the State I live in as I get older. Not decisions I want loved ones to have to face, but if I have some things in place first, and a trusted friend that feels the same about issues and understands to be the guide, it can help ease the minor issues of my choice if that is what I choose.

It really all is about choosing and being responsible for the choice, and the people left behind and how they will feel about it all. It depends on individual circumstances obviously.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back