Melatonin

Blue Bottle 01

Former Member
Reaction score
Have you (anyone) used melatonin?

What was your experience like?

I have recently taken it 5 times.

The only other sleep aid I have taken is the antihistamine diphenhydramine HCL.

First, it worked.
Second, I had pleasant dreams.
Third, I had a pleasant feeling hangover the following day.

I was "out out" every time for at least four hours and sometimes up to eight, but I don't know if I was impervious to outside stimulation or not.

I asked my wife to wait two hours after I was out and go downstairs and whack things but she thinks I am obsessed enough with this case and refused.

I have not yet taken two pills as John said he did.

If I'm having trouble sleeping I take 3 and it only helps a little bit. I've never felt any side effects at all. I'm easily woken after I take them.

Just for the record, I believe patsy killed JonBenet and John helped to stage the murder scene so I'm not saying this from a Ramsey supporter position.

Ps I've been using it on and off for over 10 years (under medical supervision of course).

Melatonin comes in different doses, so the number of pills you take may equal various amounts of the substances. At the moment, I have containers with 2mg, 3mg and 5mg capsules. I'm sorry, but I don't know if there are dangers associated with taking, say, 15mg in 3 pills. I've never heard of any, but I've also never taken that much at one time.

Everyone in my family has taken it: those who take other, stronger sleep aids and those who are "wholistic" and rarely take any medication at all.

NONE of us has ever had trouble waking up after taking melatonin.

Melatonin side effects: What are the risks?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/melatonin-side-effects/AN01717

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/melatonin-overview

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/940.html

There are more, I just look at these whenever I am thinking of a new supplement, or whenever a doc wants to prescribe something new. I tried it over 20 years ago and had no side effects that I knew of. I was obviously much younger though, and probably could not tell if there were any side effects or not. I cannot take things like Tylenol PM as 1 tablet will make me nauseous for a week and still no sleep. I do not recall Melatonin making me feel groggy or even sleepy, I just "thought" I felt relaxed and am certain I took at least 2 capsules at a time. Who knows the dosage now, ha.

I do know at the time I tried Melatonin, a few young folks back then were taking high doses along with some vitamin, iirc a B vitamin, in order to have vivid dreams, and they would experience odd waking side effects, but I am not a doctor and cannot say what they experienced was b/c of the Melatonin and B vitamins, I do know high doses of supplements or vitamins are dangerous, so it probably was due to them.

this topic got me thinking of something else...IDI's always claim there is no mental history (abuse,illness,etc) in this family...but these two suffered and went through hell ,JR when Beth died,PR because of the cancer...this stuff changes you ...and maybe not in a good way...it's not like these pills are candies..they are prescribed for a REASON.and IMO these two were more affected by the previous tragedies than by JB's death,which is a bit strange cause nothing is worse than losing a child in such a horrible way (murder).

Blue Bottle, lol at you asking your wife that. Usually it's the other way around.

Have you (anyone) used melatonin?

I have. I also sell it as part of my day job.

The only other sleep aid I have taken is the antihistamine diphenhydramine HCL.

It works a good percentage of the time, but not all the time.

First, it worked.
Second, I had pleasant dreams.
Third, I had a pleasant feeling hangover the following day.

I was "out out" every time for at least four hours and sometimes up to eight, but I don't know if I was impervious to outside stimulation or not.

I asked my wife to wait two hours after I was out and go downstairs and whack things but she thinks I am obsessed enough with this case and refused.

I have not yet taken two pills as John said he did.

It works differently on all people, as most natural aids tend to do.

[
QUOTE=Blue Bottle 01;9864505]Have you (anyone) used melatonin?

I have a fair amount of trouble sleeping and I have tried it. It has no effect on me at all. So certianly no after effects.

this topic got me thinking of something else...IDI's always claim there is no mental history (abuse,illness,etc) in this family...but these two suffered and went through hell ,JR when Beth died,PR because of the cancer...this stuff changes you ...and maybe not in a good way...it's not like these pills are candies..they are prescribed for a REASON.and IMO these two were more affected by the previous tragedies than by JB's death,which is a bit strange cause nothing is worse than losing a child in such a horrible way (murder).

BBM: good post, but just to be clear, melatonin is a natural supplement (your body manufactures it naturally, but may taper off as you age) and is available over-the-counter without a prescription.

Now I can't recall whether JR's doctor had recommended JR try it. It is certainly possible, but no prescription would be necessary.

Melatonin doesn't do much for me at a 1 mg dosage...i still need at least 1/2 of a Benedryl to get to sleep. I wonder what dosage JR took...if he even took any.

i take 15 to 20 mg every night....i sleep pretty heavy for only about 4hrs the last 4 i'm easily woken but i never take more because if i do, i wake up "hungover"

Melatonin doesn't do much for me at a 1 mg dosage...i still need at least 1/2 of a Benedryl to get to sleep. I wonder what dosage JR took...if he even took any.
I think both adults slept very little that night

Is there any proof that JR actually did use melatonin? Or that he took it that might? Sounds like a good way of saying, "I couldn't have done it, I was asleep!"

I used melatonin briefly. Bought at the drugstore over the counter. I was depressed (this was before i knew i was bipolar) and my sleep cycle was a mess. Worked like a charm. However I started getting very depressed while on it, more so than I had been. Stopped taking it because of that. Eventually I was diagnosed with bipolar. Read somewhere that melatonin can help with depression but makes bipolar worse.

Melatonin does nothing for me. I can't see someone saying it put them out like a light as though it were a sedative. But I know it varies by person.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back