GUILTY Australia - DSC Damian Leeding, 34, fatally shot, Pacific Pines, QLD, 29, May 2011

Strangeworld

Reaction score
I read this article today in relation to cop killer Phillip Graham Abell. For those who aren't familiar with the case, Abell was recently found guilty of policeman Damian Leeding's murder in Queensland, Australia. He is awaiting sentencing.

http://www.news.com.au/national-new...-of-young-inmate/story-fnii5v6w-1226729276901

SLAIN Gold Coast police officer Damian Leeding might still be alive had police been able to nail his killer for a vicious prison murder.

The Sunday Mail can reveal Phillip Graham Abell, the violent career criminal found guilty this week of shooting dead Senior-Constable Leeding in a botched tavern hold-up , was also implicated in the brutal murder of a young inmate who was stabbed more than 30 times in his cell at Wacol jail.
But Abell walked free after an inmate witness refused to give evidence against him and other prisoners charged over the 1994 murder.

As soon as I read about the 1994 murder in custody, I suddenly remembered I had read (in the last year) the coroner's report on this case. I can't remember why I'd read that particular report - but it sent shivers through me when I realised the connection. I can't believe this is the same man - well, I guess I can because it's obviously the sort of sick criminal that he is.

A very chilling read - and gives some insight into the horrible person that Abell is. So frustrating that he was never able to face the consequences for the 1994 murder of David Edward Smith.

Here's the report if anyone is interested.

Inquest into the death of David Edward SMITHhttp://www.courts.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/86618/cif-smith-de-20060317.pdf

He should have been locked up for life a long long time ago :stormingmad:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/1930...hilling-confessions-of-a-cold-blooded-killer/

"I got home that afternoon Mum said they were going for a walk to take the dogs. I just said 'OK'. While they were gone I got the gun out. Sawed it off with the hacksaw and I also got the cartridge out and when they come home I was mucking around with the dogs for a while and then Mum got into the shower. Dad was sitting in the lounge room reading a book. I got the gun out then I shot my Dad. I raced out the back door and down the stairs, loaded the gun again and then I raced back and shot my Mum," Abell said in the interview obtained exclusively by 7News.

In 1995 during an armed robbery, he shot over the head of a National Australia Bank teller because she was too slow emptying the cash drawer.

Three years ago, he shoved his gun into the belly of a pregnant woman during a home invasion on Brisbane’s south side.

Shoulda been locked up for life the FIRST time he killed...

Poster boy for why Aussie sentencing laws and parole practises suck.

He is a cold character who has no place in society.

If I had the power I would give people like him the death penalty. I would even go as far as administering the penalty myself.

There is something truly horrifying for victims of repeat offenders. The authorities KNOW the person is capable of serious crimes, yet they are given a chance to reoffend because of their so called rights. Like what is happening now with the bikie gangs. In Qld, they are changing the law so they don't immediately get bail. Basically the government will have the right to override the decisions of the court. Defense counsels and human rights advocates are up in arms. I wonder how many of them have had a personal experience with a repeat offender - like Jill Meagher's family as one example.

Sometimes criminals fly under the radar and they can't be identified until a crime is committed, but it tears me up when a person has already been found guilty of serious crimes, and they are released to do it all over again.

I really hope the Qld government follows this through - it may be tricky to administer, but I'm sure they can figure it out. And I hope they then change the laws to allow more and more serious offenders to be kept in court for life.

Life sentence for woman involved in Damian Leeding's murder

March 28, 2014

A woman has been sentenced to life imprisonment for her role in the murder of Gold Coast detective Damian Leeding.

Donna Lee McAvoy must serve at least 15 years behind bars before she is eligible for parole, a judge decided on Friday.

The 40-year-old received the minimum non-parole sentence for murder in the Supreme Court in Brisbane.

Accomplice Benjamin Ernest Power was sentenced to nine years' imprisonment for manslaughter.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...ings-murder-20140328-35o7s.html#ixzz2xGlBSRNo

Snr-Const Leeding’s mother, Julie Waters, and one of his two sister’s, Hayley Sinton, delivered heartbreaking victim impact statements in court about the ongoing grief they suffer in the wake of Damien’s callous murder

My brother will be remembered as a household name, a hero,’’ Mrs Sinton said.

“You on the other hand we be in jail. I hope that it will be as miserable (for you) as it sounds.

“I do not know how anyone could walk past a fatally wounded man and leave him to die,” she said.

“You two (McAvoy and Power) have showed no remorse. All three of you (including Abell) are deplorable.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...care-court-hears/story-fnihsrf2-1226867702175

Queensland police get pistol-mounted lights in wake of Damian Leeding killing

June 27, 2014

POLICE are testing high-powered lights mounted on their guns in the wake of Detective Damian Leeding’s murder.

The lights, under trial by 25 officers around the state, are capable of illuminating suspects 100m away in the dark

Its US manufacturers claim the light can temporarily blind offenders during incidents.

Inspector Steve Munro, of the Operational Skills Training Unit Education and Training Command, said the trial was prompted by a review of critical police incidents.

He said the Glock-pistol-mounted lights were expected to increase safety and efficiency, and officers were undergoing training before hitting the streets.

“One of the biggest drivers was the Damian Leeding sudden death,” Insp Munro said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-leeding-killing/story-fnihsrf2-1226968091916

Killer of Gold Coast cop Damian Leeding hits appeal roadblock

August 26, 2014

THE cold-blooded killer who gunned down Gold Coast police officer Damian Leeding has been granted more time to request an appeal of his sentence after he turned up to the Court of Appeal without any paperwork.

Phillip Graeme Abell, now 42, was last year jailed for life without parole for murdering detective Sen-Constable Leeding as he shot his way out of a bungled armed robbery at the Pacific Pines Tavern on May 29, 2011.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...appeal-roadblock/story-fnihsrf2-1227037544846

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects
Back