1343 users online (319 members and 1024 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

CA - Lynne Spalding, 57, San Francisco, 21 Sept 2013

Family, friends search for missing woman in SF

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...sco&id=9266127

"SAN FRANCISCO -- Family, friends and police are searching for a 57-year-old woman reported missing a week ago after she disappeared from her room at San Francisco General Hospital, a family spokesman said Saturday.

Lynne Spalding, of San Francisco, was last seen by hospital personnel at about 10:15 a.m. last Saturday while she was being treated for an infection, according to David Perry, a spokesman for her family.

Hospital employees who had been checking on her every 15 minutes went back to her room at 10:30 a.m., found she was no longer there and notified police, Perry said........"

I changed my avatar.

Friends clueless to why SF woman would disappear

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/...sappear/nZ9zJ/

"SAN FRANCISCO — Friends of a missing San Francisco woman told KTVU Saturday that she seemed confused and disoriented before she disappeared, despite being under hospital care after being treated for a common infection...."
    I changed my avatar.

I changed my avatar.

I hope she is found safe and sound and soon!

Family, Friends of Missing San Francisco Woman Find it 'Disturbing' She Disappeared from Hospital

http://abcnews.go.com/US/mother-myst...ry?id=20412485
    I changed my avatar.

How does one vanish from a hospital when you are on 15 min. checks? Well staffing issues! If the 15 min checks were done, I will be surprised. And as a nurse, why would immediately assume someone was missing? Lots of cameras in hospitals, so they should have picked up something. She's awfully underweight for her height! Wonder why she wasn't getting one on one, like a sitter or family member with her? Said she was disoriented and confused, and being treated for an infection, soooo still trying to figure out how she got out of the hospital gown,in her own clothing, most likely removing the IV, and out the hospital in 15mins! If she was getting hospital treatment for the infection, either her body is running off a mental adrenaline, psychosis, or a paranoid event where she felt she HAD to leave.

I pray they find her soon, and can figure out if she did indeed leave the hospital, because that's a huge hospital, and if you're already confused, I don't know how she figured out how to get out, and remains 'hidden'.

I know when anyone within my family is in the hospital, we take shifts staying with them because you don't get the care you need and deserve unless someone speaks up for you. Sad to say, but it's been my experience. And a confused patient is often restrained, which only makes them worse. Their paranoia goes through the roof when restrained, and rightfully so!!

What a scary world we live in... IMO!
    Fibromyalgia Fog at it's finest! Temporary loss of vocabulary may occur at any time.

AND she has been missing for a WEEK with a bladder infection!! Oh dear!!!
    Fibromyalgia Fog at it's finest! Temporary loss of vocabulary may occur at any time.

Oh this poor woman! There is something going on with her health that is not being reported. She is reported as 5'7" and 105 lbs at 57 years old. In the pictures posted, she definitely weight more than that...more like 130 lbs. I am 54 years old and 5'8". From the pictures it looks like her and I have a similar frame/bone structure. I was 105 lbs when I graduated high school, and 117 lbs at age 35 after having two children. I was way too thin and even went on a diet to gain weight. (No, I am not anorexic.) After I hit about age 45 I started gaining and am now I'm looking to loose a few pounds. (No, I am not obese.)

Woman don't usually loose that much weight after menopause unless there is a serious illness. Also the fact that the nurses were checking on her every 15 minutes, sounds like there was more than just a bladder infection. There is talk of her being disoriented from the medications, but there is also talk about her being disoriented because she is NOT on her medication.

My heart goes out to her two children and the friends that seem to really love her.
    Please be aware that what I type is my opinion.

Here is Wikipedia's section on Urinary Tract Infections (including bladder).

Urinary tract infection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It can cause confusion, and lead to sepsis (blood infection) if it is not caught in time, especially in older people. Being untreated for this long is very dangerous.

I'm just speculating, because I don't recall if the reason for the 15 minute checks was mentioned, but it occurs to me that she may have been very insistent about leaving the hospital. Confusion and not understanding the seriousness of her condition could cause that. Is it possible that she persuaded a well-meaning, uninformed friend or visitor to help her leave?

This isn't too farfetched, in my experience. I have a friend in a nursing home who desperately wants to go home. She is a very strong-willed, persuasive person. She has done several end runs around family and friends, trying to hire a caregiver to live with her. She was successful one time, and ended up in worse shape than before and had to go back to the nursing home, where sadly, she needs to be.

I hope Lynne's friends are calling everyone they can think of who knows her to see if someone helped her leave the hospital. I would imagine security cameras have been checked. Is it possible she has been admitted to another Bay Area hospital under a different name?
    Last edited by KateB; 05-10-2015 at 12:22 PM. Reason: repair url tag.
    STEPHANIE ANNE WARNER, 43, RUCH, OREGON
    MISSING & PRESUMED MURDERED July 4, 2013
    LENNIE AMES NAMED SUSPECT
    Anonymous Tips? Reward up to $1000
    Crime Stoppers of So. Oregon 800-850-0580

DISCUSSION:http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2#post10750872

One of the articles above mentioned a friend of hers that was getting email from her, and she was stating she was on a ship... but she wasn't....she was in the hospital.

15 minutes is a super-tight time frame for a missing person.

So, either that window of time is correct or incorrect.

If it's correct, then it becomes -- missing is intentional or unintentional.

If intentional, it becomes:
    1. Lynne by herself
    Then it becomes: of her own will, or under the influence of her medical condition, or under the influence of a drug.

2. Lynne + another person(s) = she was assisted.

3. Not Lynne, but someone else (or more than one person) which is abduction.

Patient records all have PEOPLE attached to them. That is the GOOD THING about this case -- hospital records. There should be copious notes on her condition, on pharmaceuticals administered, on attendance by the nursing staff. Paperwork, exact time (many nurses wears watches with military time -- that is standard), signatures, notes.... start with that.

Was she alone in her room? (I'm assuming so -- but, again, hospital record should say for certain).

A hospital room (proximity) + 15 minute time frame = good starting point. How far is room from stairwell, from nursing station, from break room, from storage areas, from elevator? Map out the possible exits -- this should limit possibilities.

Lay out the variables, discard the ones that don't apply, and walk through scenarios step by step. All activity in a healthcare facility is documented with a piece of paper. Every notation is made by a person. Who knows what about Lynne?
    Last edited by Neptune; 10-01-2013 at 04:01 AM.

Such a puzzling case...

I am a firm believer that the residence of missing persons should be investigated and searched thoroughly beginning at the time the person is reported as missing...

his is not to incriminate the guardians/residents... Necessarily... But to gather any and all pieces of evidence that may be contaminated by daily use...

However... I wonder how this can be done in an institution... Such as a hospital... Where an investigation may interrupt the care of other patients...

But... Do we know if she ever left that hospital?

could she be in a crawl space/closet/etc.....?

additionally... Has her home been searched thoroughly, either (for the same reasons)...

JMO

JMO
    Last edited by IHAVENOCLUE; 10-01-2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Clarify...

good article...sheds a little (emphasis on little) more light...snipped:

http://www.people.com/people/article...740635,00.html

Two weeks ago, Lynne Spalding, 57, had been losing weight and appeared weak. So on Sept. 19, the mother of two was admitted into the San Francisco General Hospital about 10 blocks from her home.

Perry says the hospital so far has given little information about the details surrounding the case. Rachael Kagan, a hospital spokeswoman, tells PEOPLE the hospital was "unable to confirm her departure" through security video.

The statement added that her condition had been improving and that she was in "fair condition when she left the hospital shortly after being checked on by a nurse. Fifteen minutes later, the nurse checked on her again, and upon finding her room empty, initiated a search of the hospital."

The hospital added that an internal investigation is ongoing and that they're cooperating with the San Francisco Police Department.

Perry adds that Spalding, who worked in hospitality sales, was in good health prior to the infection, but was on medication and appeared "very confused" when last seen by her family in the hospital.

As the hospital can't verify from the videos that Lynne actually left the hospital. I hope they have conducted a through search of the roof. If she was disoriented, she may have gone up the stairs instead of down.

There was a case recently of someone (who I believe had a mental condition) vanished from a hotel. The hotel was thoroughly searched and they said that the entrance to the roof was always kept locked, so there was no chance she would have gained access -- well, she did manage to get to the roof and was sadly eventually found drowned in a water tower/container.

It's very disturbing that someone can go mising from a hospital. I hope Lynne managed to find herself somewhere safe and is returned to her family and friends soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilibet View Post
    Here is Wikipedia's section on Urinary Tract Infections (including bladder).

Urinary tract infection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It can cause confusion, and lead to sepsis (blood infection) if it is not caught in time, especially in older people. Being untreated for this long is very dangerous.

I'm just speculating, because I don't recall if the reason for the 15 minute checks was mentioned, but it occurs to me that she may have been very insistent about leaving the hospital. Confusion and not understanding the seriousness of her condition could cause that. Is it possible that she persuaded a well-meaning, uninformed friend or visitor to help her leave?

This isn't too farfetched, in my experience. I have a friend in a nursing home who desperately wants to go home. She is a very strong-willed, persuasive person. She has done several end runs around family and friends, trying to hire a caregiver to live with her. She was successful one time, and ended up in worse shape than before and had to go back to the nursing home, where sadly, she needs to be.

I hope Lynne's friends are calling everyone they can think of who knows her to see if someone helped her leave the hospital. I would imagine security cameras have been checked. Is it possible she has been admitted to another Bay Area hospital under a different name?
    You're right.

My friend's grandmother was acting very bizarre- like she had dementia or Alzheimer's. Turned out to be a UTI. A few months later, same thing. A new doctor said it could be dementia or Alzheimer's....my friend demanded they test her grandmother for a UTI. That was it again. She was treated for the UTI and back to herself in no time.
    "All your life, all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain, it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream—a dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about being a person.” - True Detective

Help Save the Next Girl. http://helpsavethenextgirl.com

Help Find Shane Fell. Http://helpfindshanefell.com

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast