1335 users online (269 members and 1066 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PA - family massacre allegedly spurred by long-standing feud

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...standing-feud/

Authorities say an estranged daughter and her husband burst into her parents' home, killing her mother and brother, before being shot to death by her father, who apparently didn't realize she was the daughter he hadn't spoken to in about 20 years.

Could not find another thread about this crime. Please merge if it has already been covered.

http://www.wearecentralpa.com/story/...kkC6jZLODA_l5g

Sorry, some of the links aren't showing up as 'clickable'.
    not sure why.

Feud or Estrangement?

On one link LE said "...her father, who apparently didn't realize she was the daughter he hadn't spoken to in about 20 years."
    On other link LE said mother and father had "not spoken to or seen" dau. for about 20 yrs.

Parents in mid-60's; dau. & husband in mid-40's.

Both articles say "estranged" which to me says no contact, or perhaps limited, sporadic contact.
    "Feud" suggests continuing, prolonged contact and disagreement between people.

What was basis of estrangement? Was because dau. in early 20's was involved w. guy who parents disapproved of (and she married him, this guy or another guy)? Just drifting apart since dau. was in her teens? Something else?

Where did dau. and husband live? In same area or hours away? Did parents move before or after estrangement?

JM and as always, I could be wrong.

Sad and puzzling. Prayers and healing thoughts to all involved.

"Estranged" does connote "feud."

what an odd story...what did the daughter hope to gain? if they hadn't seen the daughter in twenty years....how much of a feud could there be?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/30...d-in-gunfight/

"4 Pennsylvania family members killed in gunfight"

" A two-decade family feud came to a violent end when a man shot dead the two home invaders that killed his wife and son, not knowing the assailants included his long-estranged daughter, authorities said Sunday..."

Not much of a 'feud' if father and daughter were not in touch. Sounds as if the daughter had a grudge .
    Nothing like the "Hatfields' and the McCoys'" ... so the msm should refrain from using such terms like 'feud' ; imo.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/29/us/pen...html?hpt=us_c2

Well now I can't find it... but an earlier article said that John Frew Sr. had lost his wife and son in a home invasion years earlier ; and that possibly the estranged daughter had been involved in it.
    Will try to find the link.

Terrible the problems some people have. How could anyone plan to carry this out ?

http://www.wetmtv.com/news/local/sto...jkXVr3x3Q.cspx

" ...Police have talked with the only surviving victim, John Frew Sr.

They say his wife and son were killed by his estranged daughter her husband..."

If that is the case , one would think the murders would have been the other way around. There is alot more to this story.
    Last edited by LietKynes; 09-30-2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added

Bizarre and sad all around.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

From the foxnews.com link, a couple posts up:
    "When Josephine was about 20, she and a boyfriend trashed her parents' home and stole items including a pistol, then fled to Pittsburgh, Cruse said. After that, she said, "more or less, they disowned her."

Hmmm. I wonder -
    - how often in the past ~20-23 yrs., parents & dau. had been in touch? When, most recently?
    - Was dau's husband her BF at the time of parents' home-trashing?

Also from same link:
    "A relative, Virginia Cruse, said the daughter and mother did not get along, but that she had no idea what spawned Friday's tragedy. The daughter had "a hatred toward the family," she said."

"Not get along" suggests what?
    Some contact btwn parents & dau. more recent than ~20 yrs?
    Or dau. was in contact w. aunt more recently?
    And "hatred."

ETA, from same linked story:
    "Authorities are still exploring possible motives, but say there may have been burglaries and robberies at the Frew residence in the past."
    Which means???
    Ok, burglaries = occupants were not there at the time, right?
    And robberies = occupants were there?

Still wondering whether dau. & husband lived closeby.
    Last edited by al66pine; 09-30-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: ETA as shown

Who's on first?

From LietKynes a few posts upthread:
    "Well now I can't find it... but an earlier article said that John Frew Sr. had lost his wife and son in a home invasion years earlier ; and that possibly the estranged daughter had been involved in it.
    Will try to find the link
    ."

If John Sr. lost his wife in a home invasion yrs. ago, then how could Roberta the woman killed the other day be the mother of Josephine, the 43 y/o dau?
    Seems like that woman killed the other day w/b John Sr.'s wife and thus stepmother to Josephine.

Unless .....
    John Sr. & Roberta had dau., then separated/divorced, then John Sr. remarried someone else, then there was home invasion yrs ago in which that wife was killed, then he married/remarried Roberta, mother to Josephine, as Roberta was killed the other day. Possible, I guess.

A man with two wives killed in home invasions???

JM and as always, I could be wrong (this time I am waaay confused)

Quote Originally Posted by al66pine View Post
    From LietKynes a few posts upthread:
    "Well now I can't find it... but an earlier article said that John Frew Sr. had lost his wife and son in a home invasion years earlier ; and that possibly the estranged daughter had been involved in it.
    Will try to find the link."

If John Sr. lost his wife in a home invasion yrs. ago, then how could Roberta the woman killed the other day be the mother of Josephine, the 43 y/o dau?
    Seems like that woman killed the other day w/b John Sr.'s wife and thus stepmother to Josephine.

Unless .....
    John Sr. & Roberta had dau., then separated/divorced, then John Sr. remarried someone else, then there was home invasion yrs ago in which that wife was killed, then he married/remarried Roberta, mother to Josephine, as Roberta was killed the other day. Possible, I guess.

A man with two wives killed in home invasions???

JM and as always, I could be wrong (this time I am waaay confused)
    John jr. was 47 years old and Roberta was 64 years old. That made her 17 years old when she gave birth to him, right? So could there have been another wife?

This is a confusing case.

Boy does this story have twist and turns. I'm born and raised in Pike County Kentucky, and the H & M feud was not over a pig, (as most thought), But an unmarried preggars gal. Am I reading this right? Is this the second wife he had lost to murder, that murderer being his own flesh and blood?
    Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

“It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.”

The missing and murdered cannot cry out for Justice. It is the duty for the living to do so for them.

I stand with Standing Rock!

We spoke, prayers were answered!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/army-grant-...ry?id=43969890

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    John jr. was 47 years old and Roberta was 64 years old. That made her 17 years old when she gave birth to him, right? So could there have been another wife?

This is a confusing case.
    Agreed Filly. I'm totally lost...
    Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

“It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.”

The missing and murdered cannot cry out for Justice. It is the duty for the living to do so for them.

I stand with Standing Rock!

We spoke, prayers were answered!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/army-grant-...ry?id=43969890

Hmmmmm. Scroll down a bit and there's an obituary for Josephine Frew Reckinger's paternal grandmom from 2009. It explicitly says the gram before going into a nursing home lived with Josephine and Jeffrey Ruckinger. Goes on to explain they took her on vacations.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-05/1241751245

Wondering if this had anything to do with anything?

Filly posted:
    "John jr. was 47 years old and Roberta was 64 years old. That made her 17 years old when she gave birth to him, right? So could there have been another wife?"

I think I see what you mean -
    - John Jr. was son of John Sr. and wife #1, preceding Roberta?
    - Home invasion, w. killing of wife #1 was mannnnnnnnny yrs. ago.
    - John Sr remarried, and w. wife #2 Roberta, had dau. Josephine, who shot & killed Roberta.

Filly Is ^that ^ what you're saying?

I can see that, but what are the odds of a man having two wives killed in home invasions?

Anybody hitting pay dirt on sleuthing home invasion & wife #1?
    Maybe Liet will find the link to 'missing' article.

I hope they actually check all the trajectories, ballistics, and gun powder residues on everybody who was supposed to have been shooting.
    Just my opinion

thecelebritycafe.com/feature/2013/09/daughter-shoots-and-kills-mother-being-shot-father

"The father of the family, John Frew Sr., told police that he found his wife’s body by the front door and his son’s body in their kitchen, reports the Washington Post. He then turned on the intruders, not knowing that they were his estranged daughter and her husband..."

I was just curious what the daughter and son-in-law were doing during the time John Sr. found the bodies ; not to be too morbid .... but one would think that they had time to shoot the elder Frew ?

Looked for FB pages for any of these people and cannot find any.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/art...un-4854449.php

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/co...-.html?nav=742

(The Altoona Mirror gives a bit more info about how everything unfolded.)

"...Matchik said John Sr., by this point, was able to retrieve a .22-caliber revolver from a rear bedroom, and returned to find his daughter on one knee in the living room, pointing the shotgun at him..."

"...At this time, John Frew Sr. turned and saw the male intruder crouched against the refrigerator in the kitchen, firing a handgun at him," Matchik said..."

https://www.facebook.com/AltoonaMirror

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...otgun/2891963/
    Checked the comments attached to this article ...not too much by way of information. Lots of opinions about how the article was edited. *rolls eyes * Geeze , people...
    Last edited by LietKynes; 09-30-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Added

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast