Migrant ship catches fire and sinks off the coast of Italy

This is so sad, especially considering they were fleeing persecution and starvation.

Divers in Lampedusa discover dozens of dead refugees trapped inside sunken boat

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...dead-refugees-trapped-inside-sunken-boat.html

Mr D'Ippolito pulled on his dive gear and plunged into the water. "I couldn't believe my eyes – down there, too, there were bodies everywhere, most of them of young men and women. I felt very sad but also very angry – how could a tragedy like this be allowed to happen?"

One of the lucky 150 migrants to survive the sinking recounted how he left his native Eritrea a year ago.

The 18-year-old, who gave his name as David, travelled overland from the East African country into neighbouring Sudan and then to Libya, a dangerous journey for which he had to pay traffickers $3,000.

"It took us two months to cross the desert. We first travelled by foot, then in a truck. Many times I thought I would never make it. We travelled at night. During the day, when we weren't travelling, they tied us up."

Once he reached Libya he, like tens of thousands of sub-Saharan Africans hoping to reach Europe, had to work for months to scrape together the equivalent of 1,000 euros that people smugglers demand for the boat crossing.

"I worked for nearly a year to earn enough money for the crossing. I worked as a house painter and lived in a wooden shanty. The Libyans beat us all the time. They were like mafia – they treated me like a slave."

His companion, who gave his name as Kijwa, said the Libyans were "bad people – we got many beatings."

Italy, along with neighbouring Malta, is demanding more help from the rest of the European Union in dealing with the tens of thousands of refugees who arrive on its shores each year.

They have requested a review of EU legislation which stipulates that asylum seekers must remain in the country where they first land, calling instead for a system whereby other countries take in the refugees.

Lampedusa has borne the brunt of the exodus for more than a decade, and a campaign has now been launched for the island's 6,000 inhabitants to be collectively awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

Divers were not able to return to the wreck on Saturday because of rough seas.

A small flotilla of about a dozen fishing boats dropped a bouquet of yellow flowers at the spot where the ship went down and sounded their horns in honour of the dead.

Why can't the EU or UN get together and work out a system for these refugees. Nobody should have to go thru this at the risk of their lives to escape from a war torn country and starvation.

Divers recover 38 more bodies, death toll hits 232

ANDREA ROSA, AP
1 hour ago

LAMPEDUSA, Italy (AP) — For the first time, deep sea divers entered the hull of a trawler that sank off the Italian island of Lampedusa with hundreds or refugees aboard, pulling 38 corpses from the crowded wreckage on Monday.

"They unpacked a wall of people," said Navy Capt. Paolo Trucco, noting that the death toll now stands at 232. "They were so entwined, one with the other, it is indescribable. They were so trapped they were difficult to pull out."

Wearing weighted suits and sturdy port-holed helmets, the divers were able to spend 30 minutes at a time at the wreck 47 meters (154 feet) below the surface, much more than a scuba divers seven to 10 minutes. This allowed them to remove debris that was still floating around inside to reach the hull...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20131007/EU--Italy-Migrant.Deaths/

It's happened again already!

Ship carrying 250 capsizes near Sicily

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/11/world/europe/italy-ship-capsized/index.html

(CNN) -- Italian and Maltese military forces raced Friday to international waters off Lampedusa, Italy, where a ship believed to be carrying migrants capsized in the second such incident this month.

At least 50 of the 250 people believed to be on board had been rescued, authorities said. The fate of the others remained unknown.

"The operation is ongoing," said Maltese military spokesman Keith Caruana. "We are trying to save as many people as we can.".......

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back