TN TN - Glenda Sirmans, 13, Farragut, 29 Nov 1969

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
13-year-old Glenda Sirmans was abducted from Farragut, TN, in Knox County on the same day Kathy Jones disappeared in Nashville. She was abducted while walking to a friend's house to work on a school project. Her body was found two weeks later eight miles away on Lakeland Road in Loudon County. She was nude, her throat slashed, and there was another cut to her throat. Her poor body had been badly mutilated by dogs, and in fact, it was finally discovered when a dog brought home a shoe with a foot still inside. :( Authorities believe Glenda died the same day she was abducted, November 29, 1969, and the murder remains unsolved.

Girl's Body, Throat Cut, Discovered - Dec 14, 1969

Find Body of Missing Girl - Dec 15, 1969

Searchers Find Body of Slain Tennessee Girl - Dec 15, 1969

Dogs Attract Searchers to Body of 13-year-old girl - Dec 15, 1969

This is such a sad case.

She had some things in common with Kathy. She had a 20 minute walk to somewhere in her neighborhood. She was "shy". She was 13 (Kathy was 12). She was found unclothed. Her clothing was scattered by animals, so it was possible it was wadded up and thrown down beside her like Kathy's was.

Unlike Kathy, it looks like perhaps Glenda died in a quicker fashion. But, it may be the murderer felt unsatisified by that and traveled on to Nashville to seek another "shy" girl of about the same age who was walking somewhere.

What time did the two girls go missing? It is about a 3-4 hour drive across TN on I-40 from Knoxville(Farragut)to Nashville today, depending on traffic. Is it even possible for the killer to have been in both places?

What time did the two girls go missing? It is about a 3-4 hour drive across TN on I-40 from Knoxville(Farragut)to Nashville today, depending on traffic. Is it even possible for the killer to have been in both places?
None of the articles state the time in GS's case. We know only that she was abducted while walking to a friend's house on Saturday to work on a school project. When kids get together on a weekend to do school work they usually start early so they can get finished and have the rest of the day free. So if I had to guess, I'd say it was no later than noon. It was reported that KJ left her house at 7:45 P.M. That's almost an eight hour window. The distance between the site where GS's body was found, and the skating rink in Nashville is 172 miles, according to google maps. Driving I-40 on a Saturday afternoon 44 years ago when speed limits were 70-75 on major highways, the trip could be made in 2-1/2-3 hours. Even adding an hour to the travel time, or the time of GS's abduction, leaves a few hours in between. So yes, theoretically it is possible.

Way less traffic back then though and people would seriously drive really, really fast. The thing is we don't know WHEN Kathy went missing. She just "vanished" and no one seems to be able to pin that down.

I don't know if these two crimes are actually related, but it's not impossible. (It is my feeling they're not. but I am keeping an open mind because I think more than one perp was involved for Kathy which opens up the time window by even more hours.)

Wow, Farragut was a very safe area to live...

Still is. I have family there. I spent a month there this summer. Loudon is safe too. A little more rural, but neither of these area are what you think of when referring to rural east TN people. In fact Farragut/Concord are upscale areas.

But sadly we know that no area is safe from predators when they get ready to strike. I'm very curious to know where Glenda lived and the route she took to her friends house.

Still is. I have family there. I spent a month there this summer. Loudon is safe too. A little more rural, but neither of these area are what you think of when referring to rural east TN people. In fact Farragut/Concord are upscale areas.

But sadly we know that no area is safe from predators when they get ready to strike. I'm very curious to know where Glenda lived and the route she took to her friends house.

I am curious of the route too. I lived in the Farragut Concord area when my son was young. We hardly ever locked the doors. We walked a lot of places. Loved the area. Only moved because I was transferred to Chattanooga.

This article says she was probably abducted while walking along Knox County Road, if that helps at all.

This article says she was probably abducted while walking along Knox County Road, if that helps at all.

I googled Knox County Rd. I just spent over an hour with some very interesting reading about Concord, Farragut, Kingston Pike........very interesting history....but no Knox County Road. I wonder if the sentence should've read ,"A Knox County road"?

Anyone familiar with the area have any idea?

I googled Knox County Rd. I just spent over an hour with some very interesting reading about Concord, Farragut, Kingston Pike........very interesting history....but no Knox County Road. I wonder if the sentence should've read ,"A Knox County road"?

I looked for it, too. Either it was an error like you said, or the name has changed, which often happens when land is developed. Maybe MissJ can help us out here.

Hope so. I know that area has grown in these last years. Really developed. There are new roads, old ones rerouted or closed. My family hasn't been there long enough to know any of the old ones. I bet after my reading last night that I know more about the history of the area than they do!

so, if it is a more upscale area, this tells the murderer blended in... he had a clean, late model car. his appearance was probably fairly neat.

since it sounded to be very rural, i would add this... his tags were in county. back in the day, the number on the tags told your county. for example, davidson county was the second largest county so all of their tags started with a 2. idk what number this county where glenda lived would be, but this guy had a car with tags for that county.

eta
unless it's on the border or something or there is another county tags people there saw in that neighborhood. but, two counties max the car tags were from. people noticed out of county tags.

Farragut is in Knox county. That's a good size county nowadays as it contains Knoxville. It would be and still is common to see Loudon county tags as it is just a few miles down Kingston Pike(hwy11-70)the main thoroughfare through there other than the interstate.

It should have read "a Knox County road." She lived on Virtue Road and was traveling toward Martel Road. That area was all small to medium size farms back then. It was considered a very safe area. There was also a "*advertiser censored*" rated drive in theater about 4 miles from her home. It was on Highway 11/70 just before the Dixielee Junction, where 11 and 70 met. There was also a "biker bar" directly in front of the theater that was supposedly controlled by the "Outlaw" bikers motorcycle gang.

It should have read "a Knox County road." She lived on Virtue Road and was traveling toward Martel Road. That area was all small to medium size farms back then. It was considered a very safe area. There was also a "*advertiser censored*" rated drive in theater about 4 miles from her home. It was on Highway 11/70 just before the Dixielee Junction, where 11 and 70 met. There was also a "biker bar" directly in front of the theater that was supposedly controlled by the "Outlaw" bikers motorcycle gang.

Thanks for al the info!nmy Internet is out and I'm waiting for centurylink. I'm at my D's using hers. I want to look these up more closely. Now that I have names!as soon as my Internet is back working again.

Thank you so much!!!!

So looking at a current map, she didnt actually have to walk onto Kingston Pike in order to get to her destination. She was walking in a somewhat rural area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back