How does this happen?

Linda7NJ

Reaction score
This man had been missing for almost a year. He lived within walking distance to my home. I knew nothing of him missing...first I heard of it is when they found his body.
It was found close, so.... Why was no one looking? Why was it never reported on the news? Flyers?
So sad to me.

Police: 62-year-old man's remains found by Washington Township apartment complex

Phil Davis/South Jersey Times
Published: Oct 5, 2013, 8:11 PM

Photo 1 of 1

WASHINGTON TWP. — Authorities have identified the skeletal remains found near Washington Way Apartments late Friday as a 62-year-old man reported missing last year.

Michael R. Miller was reported missing on Nov. 19, 2012, from his unit at Washington Way Apartments.

Someone walking near the apartment complex found the remains of the "badly decomposed" body, Washington Township Police Capt. Richard Leonard said. The captain added that only the skeletal remains of the body remained intact.

According to Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office spokesman Bernie Weisenfeld, Miller's remains were identified by his jewelry and medical records.

The results of an autopsy from the Gloucester County Medical Examiner to determine the cause of death are still pending, said Weisenfeld.

Last November, the property manager reported that Miller had not been seen in two months. He was behind on his rent, his car was still parked at the complex and his cellphone was left in his apartment, according to authorities at the time.

As of September 2012, Miller lived alone, but had previously shared the apartment with his son and a friend of his son, Weisenfeld said.

Miller has a sister in Arizona, and his son now lives in Woodlynne, officials said last year. Miller was divorced and living on disability income.

Saturday afternoon, Leonard said the department had not ruled the case either a homicide or a suicide.

"We're looking at a number of different things, but right now it's just being investigated," said Leonard.

In reporting on his disappearance last year, Miller was described as 5 feet 11 inches tall, and weighing 185 pounds, with gray hair and blue eyes.

He wore metal-rimmed glasses and a rope chain with a pendant. On the pendant are the Hebrew letters that translate into “Chai,” which means “life.”

Stay with NJ.com for more details

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

oh how very sad. I guess no one cared enough to look for him :(

"Police have not ruled out either homicide or suicide".

If I were the investigating authorities, I'd start with his son and his son's friend that used to live with him. Interesting that the son didn't report him missing.

Very sad, indeed.

"Police have not ruled out either homicide or suicide".

If I were the investigating authorities, I'd start with his son and his son's friend that used to live with him. Interesting that the son didn't report him missing.

Very sad, indeed.

That was my first thought too.....what's up with the son?

How heartbreaking.

Single, older, white male, divorced, and living alone. That's why. Some cases are "sexier" than others and get more publicity.

Was his son cashing his checks? Nobody noticed that his mail was piling up or overflowing his apartment mailbox? Suspicious!

Linda, maybe you should ask people in your community ...you said in your first post that it was close to you.

There actually was a case similar to this in northern Va. a few years ago. Turned out sadly that the murdered man's remains were found about 5 years after he died. His family didn't even know where he lived, worked, etc. He'd been a recluse for years.

Linda, maybe you should ask people in your community ...you said in your first post that it was close to you.

There actually was a case similar to this in northern Va. a few years ago. Turned out sadly that the murdered man's remains were found about 5 years after he died. His family didn't even know where he lived, worked, etc. He'd been a recluse for years.

I'm going to. He was found Friday...

He wasn't some pretty young thing or rich so the media wasn't interested.

Sad that the only person who missed him was landlord.

The article does not say the son did not report the man missing.
I don't understand from where that assumption is coming.

This is basically in my back yard as well and Friday was the first time hearing of it...really quite sad that no one seemed to be looking for him! Never saw a missing persons flyer or heard anything in the neighborhood and my husband is retired local LE!

This is basically in my back yard as well and Friday was the first time hearing of it...really quite sad that no one seemed to be looking for him! Never saw a missing persons flyer or heard anything in the neighborhood and my husband is retired local LE!

How long before you heard anything about that missing woman that was later found dead?

I first heard about it the evening before they found her body.

It's disgraceful!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member