CANADA Canada - Jolene Cote, 36, Edmonton, AB, 12 Oct 2011

Sillybilly

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Jolene, a mother of two, was found by her husband outside their home the morning of October 13 2011. She had played in a soccer game the night before and went to Walmart on her way home. The article contains video of her at Walmart:

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Mur...dmonton+soccer+Jolene+Cote/9002312/story.html

A year later, the nearby lake was searched and something found, but LE doesn't say what it is or whether it is related.

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/police-search-lake-for-clues-in-cote-murder-1.718395

I'm not up to speed on this whole case yet, but my first question after reading the article is where was the diamond necklace located that is now missing? Rings I can understand, but surely she wouldn't have been wearing a diamond necklace to a soccer game.

Facebook page "In Memory of Jolene Cote"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/280530631967334/

If you have information about this case or of any unusual activity in the area north of hwy 16 between the highways 60 and 44, on the evening of October 12th or the early morning of October 13th, 2011 you are asked to please:

Call Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or
Call Spruce Grove RCMP at 780-962-2222 or Stony Plain RCMP at 780-968-7267 or
Online http://www.crimestoppers.ab.ca

The ^^ info about seeing anything unusual between Hwy 60 and 44 came from a local rag:

http://www.talkofthetown.name/Jolene-Cote-Memorial.html

With the Cote home being referred to as rural, I would think it is located in the area referred to in that article.

Google shows Hwy 16 between Hwys 60 and 44 to be a rural area and quite a bit west of Edmonton city proper (I believe it is Spruce Grove). The walmart dot ca site doesn't show any stores in proximity to the rural area, but shows Walmarts much further east toward the city. I doubt that a perp would follow her from any of those Walmart locations, all the way along Hwy 16 in the dark, out of the city right to her driveway without her becoming alarmed and possibly having a cell to call for help.

Did she maybe encounter an intruder on her return home? Did the husband or neighbours not hear anything unusual?

canada411 has a listing that appears to be in Michael's name . It gives an addy of McLeod Avenue in Spruce Grove. This is interesting because LE is asking about unusual activity specifically NORTH of Hwy 16 between Hwy 60 to the east and west to Hwy 44, while McLeod Av is a few kilometres WEST of Hwy 44 and SOUTH of Hwy 16. "A" on the thumbprint map below would appear to be the Cote residence on McLeod in Spruce Grove. (I wonder if they meant north of Hwy 16A rather than just Hwy 16):

Attachments

• Cote residence on McLeod.png
    Cote residence on McLeod.png
    524 KB · Views: 53
This is one interesting/bizarre case SB - at first glance it could be close to home or not close at all.

Look forward to more info.

My opinion on the diamond pendant fwiw - being a pendant as opposed to a full fledged diamond necklace, she could have worn it all the time - never taking it off including during a shower etc. I can relate to that, albeit not a diamond. Seems to me it likely highlighted anything she wore - ie dressed up any attire - up or down.

This is one interesting/bizarre case SB - at first glance it could be close to home or not close at all.

Look forward to more info.

My opinion on the diamond pendant fwiw - being a pendant as opposed to a full fledged diamond necklace, she could have worn it all the time - never taking it off including during a shower etc. I can relate to that, albeit not a diamond. Seems to me it likely highlighted anything she wore - ie dressed up any attire - up or down.

Hmm ... don't know about the necklace. Can't find one single pic where she is wearing one at all, let alone a diamond one. I wonder if it was a recent gift.

The fact her jewellery is missing smacks of robbery, but why would a perp be all the way out in the rural countryside, accosting a woman in her yard, for a wedding and engagement ring, and a diamond necklace that (to a stranger/perp) may have only been Austrian crystal. Plus, in the dark, how would a perp even see from any distance that she was wearing any jewellery of value? Plus, I can't see a perp lying in wait with a husband inside the house, to just steal a couple of trinkets from Jolene. I tend to think that robbery was not really the motive.

You would think it should take a little more than a gash on the head to kill someone, so have to wonder whether COD has been determined and whether a sexual assault has been ruled in or out. If ruled in, there's a good chance there's DNA ... if ruled out, why was a woman killed for a couple of trinkets in the dark in the country?

The fact that her husband says he brought her in and put a blanket over her may indicate that she was fully or partially unclothed when he found her. The fact she was cold indicates she was dead for some time, so there should have been no bleeding from the gash on her head. Why put a towel on her head?

ETA: Don't know where the video went that was in The Province article my very first post.

This Edmonton CTV article, a year after her death, says she was killed "inside" her home :waitasec:

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/family-m...pruce-grove-teacher-being-found-dead-1.994073

It’s been one year since a popular Spruce Grove-area teacher was found dead inside her family home, and her family is renewing the call for information.

On Thursday, October 13, 2011, Jolene Cote’s husband Michael found his wife’s lifeless body in their rural home in the Spruce Grove area.

If there are no pictures of Jolene wearing the necklace, then I agree she didn't wear it often or it was relatively new. The first article describing the jewellery states the pendant was an anniversary gift but not when.

Glad I watched the first video that now seems to be gone - what stood out for me was no eye contact between the husband and J's sisters and mother even though they interacted somewhat.

For the moment I'm going with J was found on the driveway - there is way to much detail on her husband picking her up, carrying her inside and placing a blanket and towel on her.

The Walmart video is very intriguing - does the blanked out person (I agree male) know her or not? She seems to walk in alone with a cart but does engage with the person to some degree - a greeter? Problem is, 'he' seems to be waiting for her when she exits and they again engage to a small degree while he seems to walk out with her.

Clicking through frame-by-frame, it shows when she has entered and engaged with ther person, as she continues to walk into the store, the person is most definitely stepping forward as if following her.

When she is leaving, she has miscellaneous items in the cart, and a very large box in the shopping cart. As the other person becomes visible, they appear to actually join up with her and walk step-by-step beside her as she approaches the automatic doors. I think she is familiar with this person, as that degree of closeness by a stranger would seem very much like an invasion of personal space, and there are no body indications from Jolene that she is uncomfortable with the physical proximity of that person.

ETA: ITA about the first video, Woodland ... no eye contact and he seemed very nervous, swallowing quite a bit. Mind you, maybe he's a shy country boy, and of course knows that the husband is always looked at in these cases.

Have a feeling LE knows who this person at Walmart is.

So it's unknown if JC went straight home from Walmart? Or what her time of arrival home was? Or maybe LE does know if they know who the Walmart person is?

JC's sister is announcing the reward?

The reward has been there for some time and I believe she's just posting it on the FB memorial page to update/reaffirm its existence. Although the reward poster has the RCMP heading, it is private contributions, initially $25,000 which they upped to $50,000.

from January 2012:
http://www.mayerthorpefreelancer.com/2012/01/31/rcmp-seek-information-on-murder-of-teacher

Also, Cote's sister, Rhonda Berg, has now announced that the private reward of $25,000 has been doubled $50,000. RCMP say police support the family members and their initiatives to stimulate any information that may further the on-going investigation.

Here's the timeline from the reward poster (a bit blurry in spots):

October 12, 2011:
9:49 pm
Jolene left the Edmonton Soccer Center located at 17415 106A Avenue driving her 2002 silver Jeep Liberty, Alberta licence plate TYV 241

10:33 pm
Jolene was captured on video surveillance leaving Walmart located on Stony Plain Road near Anthony Henday Drive (that Walmart address is 18521 Stony Plain Rd NW, Edmonton)

October 13, 2011:
6:10 am
Stony Plain RCMP received and attended a call at which Jolene was found deceased in the yard of her acreage property near the Edmonton Springs Golf Course, north of Highway 16 and east of Highway 44. Her vehicle was also located on the property.

If she left Walmart at 10:33 pm and went directly home without stopping elsewhere, she probably arrived home by approx. 11:00 pm, and obviously was killed some time after her arrival home. She was found at 6:10 am and her husband brought her inside, put a blanket over her and a towel on her head. Sorry for gross factor here, but if she was killed outside after arriving home, shouldn't she have been in full rigor when LE arrived 7 hours after she was killed? OR, was she up and about early that morning and attacked as she went outside for something (or killed inside, as the one article indicates, but which would be contrary to the husband having brought her inside).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back